Bug in quest nemesis defeat message

Hi,

I found yet another bug in the Quest Nemesis defeat message.

I am playing a samurai, and have a pet arch lich which is level 37.

I was just entering Ashikaga Takauji's inner sanctum, where he appeared
to have gone. Obviously, he had picked up the Tsurugi and the Bell, and
had teleported to the stairs to heal (my pet must have hit him).

Unfortunately for him, my pet had *also* just teleported to the stairs,
and must have been blocking them. I took another step towards the middle
of the screen, where I expected him to be (I had no infravision), and
then suddenly, without having hit him even once, I got the end-of-quest
victory message.

My pet had finished off the Quest Nemesis, and I hadn't even had a
chance to get a hit in...

Anyway, the quest message spoke about being bent over his dead body and
such, which was *really* wrong, since he wasn't even close to me when he
died. '

The only thing that really scared me off about this was the chance of my
pet picking up and wielding the Tsurugi. You don't want an arch lich
wielding the Tsurugi going feral (if he can wield it at all, considering
his alignment).

Boudewijn.

The new Latin dictionary of the Vatican now also includes words for
"jeans" ("bracae linteae caeruleae") and "terrorist" ("tromocrates").
Source: Der Spiegel, http://nieuwsbrief.taalpost.nl/r/tp.plx?252show.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:16:00 +0100:

> I found yet another bug in the Quest Nemesis defeat message.

Back in 2000, "Some quest messages get delivered when they no longer make
sense" was identified as "probably not going to get fixed".

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/nethack/nethack/doc/buglist?rev=1.1
9&view=auto

> The only thing that really scared me off about this was the chance of my
> pet picking up and wielding the Tsurugi. You don't want an arch lich
> wielding the Tsurugi going feral (if he can wield it at all, considering
> his alignment).

And considering that he has no weapon attack.

--
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found yet another bug in the Quest Nemesis defeat message.
>
> I am playing a samurai, and have a pet arch lich which is level 37.
>
> I was just entering Ashikaga Takauji's inner sanctum, where he appeared
> to have gone. Obviously, he had picked up the Tsurugi and the Bell, and
> had teleported to the stairs to heal (my pet must have hit him).
>
> Unfortunately for him, my pet had *also* just teleported to the stairs,
> and must have been blocking them. I took another step towards the middle
> of the screen, where I expected him to be (I had no infravision), and
> then suddenly, without having hit him even once, I got the end-of-quest
> victory message.
>
> My pet had finished off the Quest Nemesis, and I hadn't even had a
> chance to get a hit in...
>
> Anyway, the quest message spoke about being bent over his dead body and
> such, which was *really* wrong, since he wasn't even close to me when he
> died. '
>
> The only thing that really scared me off about this was the chance of my
> pet picking up and wielding the Tsurugi. You don't want an arch lich
> wielding the Tsurugi going feral (if he can wield it at all, considering
> his alignment).

Will *anything* wield the Tsurugi, because I've had absolutely no luck
there?

Sean <sgegg@hotspammeallyouwantpop.com> writes:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> > The only thing that really scared me off about this was the chance
> > of my pet picking up and wielding the Tsurugi. You don't want an
> > arch lich wielding the Tsurugi going feral (if he can wield it at
> > all, considering his alignment).
>
> Will *anything* wield the Tsurugi, because I've had absolutely no luck
> there?

For a monster to pick up the Tsurugi, it has to be lawful and either
a) covetous (can't be tamed) or b) a samurai player-monster (also
can't be tamed). So, the only way to get a pet wielding the Tsurugi
would be to polymorph a hostile monster falling into one of these
categories that was already wielding it, have it turn into something
with a weapon attack, and then tame it. A ticklish operation.

: "Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all." :
: -- A.J. Balfour :

Rast wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:16:00 +0100:

>> The only thing that really scared me off about this was the chance
>> of my pet picking up and wielding the Tsurugi. You don't want an
>> arch lich wielding the Tsurugi going feral (if he can wield it at
>> all, considering his alignment).

> And considering that he has no weapon attack.

Which brings up another point.

The aforementioned arch lich is still my loyal pet, and it goes around
killing things in support of the law (ie my samurai). It is, however,
incapable of killing hobbitses. For some reason, it does not do any
damage to them.

Hobbits aren't cold resistant, according to the spoilers.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

> The aforementioned arch lich is still my loyal pet, and it goes around
> killing things in support of the law (ie my samurai). It is, however,
> incapable of killing hobbitses. For some reason, it does not do any
> damage to them.
>
> Hobbits aren't cold resistant, according to the spoilers.

Hobbits generally have elven mythril armor, and that has MC3. The
Arch-Lich's main cold touch attack thing has to get past MC, so it only has
a 2% chance of hitting

Arch-Liches cannot kill temple priests either, because they (almost?) always
start with an outer piece of armor with MC3

--
-JH
Ascended V,A,W(x2),B,K,Ro,C,S,H,T,Ra,P

JH wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

>> The aforementioned arch lich is [...] incapable of killing
>> hobbitses. For some reason, it does not do any damage to them.
>> Hobbits aren't cold resistant, according to the spoilers.

> Hobbits generally have elven mythril armor, and that has MC3. The
> Arch-Lich's main cold touch attack thing has to get past MC, so it
> only has a 2% chance of hitting

In both instances, the hobbit was indeed wearing elven mithril armour.

> Arch-Liches cannot kill temple priests either, because they (almost?)
> always start with an outer piece of armor with MC3

Good to know. I usually leave the arch lich on a shallower level when I
visit Mine Town, because I don't want him to kill the only priest I've
met so far, who happens to be coaligned as well.

Of course, leaving him behind too often will eventually turn him
peaceful instead of tame, so not having to leave him behind would be a
Good Thing. The only danger is taht this will get the arch lich killed,
because it will attack but not kill the priest, while the priest may
kill my pet in retaliation.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
> JH wrote:
>> Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>
>>> The aforementioned arch lich is [...] incapable of killing
>>> hobbitses. For some reason, it does not do any damage to them.
>>> Hobbits aren't cold resistant, according to the spoilers.
>
>> Hobbits generally have elven mythril armor, and that has MC3. The
>> Arch-Lich's main cold touch attack thing has to get past MC, so it
>> only has a 2% chance of hitting
>
> In both instances, the hobbit was indeed wearing elven mithril armour.
>
>> Arch-Liches cannot kill temple priests either, because they (almost?)
>> always start with an outer piece of armor with MC3
>
> Good to know. I usually leave the arch lich on a shallower level when
> I visit Mine Town, because I don't want him to kill the only priest
> I've met so far, who happens to be coaligned as well.
>
> Of course, leaving him behind too often will eventually turn him
> peaceful instead of tame, so not having to leave him behind would be a
> Good Thing. The only danger is taht this will get the arch lich
> killed, because it will attack but not kill the priest, while the
> priest may kill my pet in retaliation.

Generally speaking, won't a pet stop attacking when their HP is too low? I
don't know if a priest can take out an Arch-Lich in one round if the Lich
has over 25% health?

If nothing else, don't Liches regenerate? Plus they teleport near you, so
you can just get away from the priest for a while and let it heal

--

psmith@spod-central.org wrote:
>For a monster to pick up the Tsurugi, it has to be lawful and either
>a) covetous (can't be tamed) or b) a samurai player-monster (also
>can't be tamed). So, the only way to get a pet wielding the Tsurugi
>would be to polymorph a hostile monster falling into one of these
>categories that was already wielding it, have it turn into something
>with a weapon attack, and then tame it. A ticklish operation.

You in fact have to use a samurai as the starting point; the unique
devils and the lawful quest nemeses (the only covetous lawfuls) are
immune to being polymorphed.

And, of course, you have to dick about in front of a monster wielding
the Tsurugi of Muramasa, which behaviour is strongly deprecated.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
NP: Judas Priest - Loch Ness

Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> psmith@spod-central.org wrote:
> >For a monster to pick up the Tsurugi, it has to be lawful and either
> >a) covetous (can't be tamed) or b) a samurai player-monster (also
> >can't be tamed). So, the only way to get a pet wielding the Tsurugi
> >would be to polymorph a hostile monster falling into one of these
> >categories that was already wielding it, have it turn into something
> >with a weapon attack, and then tame it. A ticklish operation.
>
> You in fact have to use a samurai as the starting point; the unique
> devils and the lawful quest nemeses (the only covetous lawfuls) are
> immune to being polymorphed.

They are? They poly fine for me. (They generally have a high base
magic resistance saving throw, so it might take several tries, and you
may need to be using a high-level spell rather than the wand, but it's
possible.) They can't be polyed _into_, which may be what you're
thinking of.

> And, of course, you have to dick about in front of a monster wielding
> the Tsurugi of Muramasa, which behaviour is strongly deprecated.

"Ticklish" may have been something of an understatement, I'm willing
to admit.

: "Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all." :
: -- A.J. Balfour :

psmith@spod-central.org wrote:
>Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>> You in fact have to use a samurai as the starting point; the unique
>> devils and the lawful quest nemeses (the only covetous lawfuls) are
>> immune to being polymorphed.
>
>They are? They poly fine for me. (They generally have a high base
>magic resistance saving throw, so it might take several tries, and you
>may need to be using a high-level spell rather than the wand, but it's
>possible.) They can't be polyed _into_, which may be what you're
>thinking of.

Oops. Note to self: Sanity-check things that sound like they're
obviously the way things *should* be before saying them :)

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>>psmith@spod-central.org wrote:
>>
>>>For a monster to pick up the Tsurugi, it has to be lawful and either
>>>a) covetous (can't be tamed) or b) a samurai player-monster (also
>>>can't be tamed). So, the only way to get a pet wielding the Tsurugi
>>>would be to polymorph a hostile monster falling into one of these
>>>categories that was already wielding it, have it turn into something
>>>with a weapon attack, and then tame it. A ticklish operation.
>>
>>You in fact have to use a samurai as the starting point; the unique
>>devils and the lawful quest nemeses (the only covetous lawfuls) are
>>immune to being polymorphed.
>
> They are? They poly fine for me.

The biggest problem is getting them to poly _into_ an usable form. The
moment they poly into a non-weapon-wielding form, you have to start anew.
When testing this in wizmode, I've wasted 12 statues of samurai before
getting one such a form, and it was a level 1 hobbit, not exactly the
greatest pet...

1KB