Status
Not open for further replies.

rakattack

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Hello, i'm a travelling musician so the ultra-light really appeals to me. however, i like the specs of the b43j and would ideally like to be able to play some older games occasionally (hl2, company of heroes)

i mainly use my computer for business (i use a an old school t60 now) but like to watch movies as well as the occasional game.

will the u36 be able to perform, or should i lug around a heavier b43j?

thanks

Solution
I would definitely go with 5650/580M over 5470/640M because the first combo will give you much better gaming performance.
Unfortunately though,it doesn't have an express card slot.
Hello and welcome to the forums
B43J has 2 models,one has HD 5470M,the other one has Intel GMA HD card.Both are
low-end cards but 5470M is notably faster and can handle games like HL2,COH fine.(Though you may have to run COH on medium/low settings)
U36 has GT 310M which will give you roughly the same performance as 5470M.

rakattack

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
ye, sorry, i was planning on getting the b43j b-1b (w/ the radeon). i'm wondering if the speed difference, and lack of optical drive in the u36 would be worth the extra portability (and it's cheaper too, i believe)

if the ati mobile graphics are about the same as the nvidia (gt 310m has 1gb of ram, while the ati hd 5470m only has 512mb) then i imagine going w/ the u36 would be the best bet?

thanks again for help/opinions

also, if there are comparable business notebooks anyone would recommend i'd appreciate it. I really like the ruggedness of my thinkpad t60, and was told asus makes really reliable notebooks as well

rakattack

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
1. What is your budget?
i'd prefer not to spend more than $1300 (price of asus b43j b-1b)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14" at most. i want something portable

3. What screen resolution do you want?
not too important 1366x766 is fine

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
i need portability, but would still like reasonable power and ability to play slightly older games

5. How much battery life do you need?

the more the better, but as long as i can get a couple hours that's fine.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

i like to be able to play games like company of heroes, hl2 (for mods too), maybe world in conflict (do people that anymore?)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

mainly boring work stuff, excel, word, emailing etc. would like ot do basic photo editing and movie watching of course. dvd burning is also important, and plugging in external monitors. also i have an expresscard tv card, but it's not a dealbreaker not to be able to use that.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

not too important anything above 200gb is great.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=ASB43J-B1B&id=ASB43J-B1B&l=FROOGLE

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

several years at least.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

blueray would be nice, but totally unnecessary. dvd burning is important (if i went w/ u36, i'd have to buy an external)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

i love my t60, but i've read mixed reviews of newer thinkpads. i like the look of asus business computers and i hear they're very reliable and sturdy.

13. What country do you live in?

i currently live in germany, but would plan on buying a us computer, as i'm only in germany for 6 months or so.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

thank you

rakattack

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
so do you think it would be better to have the ati mobility radeon 5650 w/ 1gb of ram and a slightly slower processor i5 580m (2.66GHZ) or the less powerfull ati mobility radeon hd 5470 w/ 512mb ram and a more powerful processor i7 640M 2.8ghz?

also the hp is a bit more expensive, but if it will last longer i guess it would be worth it? I had an hp pavillion dv9000 before and it was sent back for repairs many, many times (i was glad to have bought the extended warranty after the 2nd send back)

I know the asus comes w/ 3 year service, standard.

rakattack

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
ok thanks for your help.

I just wish the u36 came w/ that radeon 5650 instead of the nvidia 310m. i was starting to lean towards the lightweight. also, i just realized my tv tuner is expresscard54 and b43j has expresscard34.

i wish there was a way to get the business computer look w/ the hp envy14 hardware. -silly request, i realize.

thanks again

rakattack

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
ok. the gt335m might be appealing. i've heard the bu7ild quality of asus notebooks is really good. do you know if hp is as durable/reliable a computer? my old pavillion was from 2005-6 so maybe the build quality has improved?

Also, if I were to go w/ the hp envy14, would you recommend getting an i7 for the quad core? that would probably help it last longer than a dual core i5?

Status
Not open for further replies.