NETGEAR Launches Powerline Adapters for HD and Multimedia Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

batkerson

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Question: I'm interested in Powerline for my home, but am confused about what I actually need, if someone can help. I have cable modem and router, of course. Need to connect 3 computers to router using powerline. Does router have ONE cat-5 connection to the wall "speaking with" three other powerline boxes/computers around my house? Or does router need 3 different connections to the wall? Put another way, do I need four powerline wall connections/appliances or 6?? Thanks.

b.a.

Mr_Techman

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
You need to think in terms of a transmitter and receiver. The transmitter plugs into a wall outlet (not power strip) with a CAT-5 aka ethernet cable from the transmitter to your router. Then, you can have receivers throughout your house via power outlets providing you with a wired network connection. You connect another CAT-5 cable from the receiver to your computer or game console.

Most kits will give you a 1 transmitter and 1 receiver. Then additional receivers will be purchased separately. Mind you, the performance depends on distance and the quality of your power lines inside your house. One outlet in a room may perform better than another outlet in the same room.

I can't remember the limitation of receivers to transmitters. I know in earlier models, it was like 5. It might be more. The technology has been around for 3 years or so. I have the first generation that is rated at 54Mbps. It works pretty well, but no where close to 54Mbps though. It's slightly faster than my wireless.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i think what's possible is 4 powerline adapters and you won't be using the router. connect one to your modem then connect 3 to the computers.
your connection will slow down a lot if all three computers are transmitting data since this will only be one collision domain.
but that will suffice for sharing internet connections.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
@Mr_Techman
apparently you're not so "tech"
Most kits will give you a 1 transmitter and 1 receiver.
So I can only download data or upload, not both? How on earth would I browse the web or do "anything" at all if I can only receive data (or only transmit data). Mr_Techman is lame.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
the adapters find themselves over the electrical wires in your house and create a "switch" network device similar to a real switch with the only difference being that the ports are located at your electrical outlets

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]zodiacfml[/nom]i think what's possible is 4 powerline adapters and you won't be using the router. connect one to your modem then connect 3 to the computers.your connection will slow down a lot if all three computers are transmitting data since this will only be one collision domain.but that will suffice for sharing internet connections.[/citation]

you still require the router

plugging in the modem to only the powerline adapter is similar to plugging in the modem to a switch only, first computer turned on will grab the ip address from your ISP and the rest will sit with no ip

it will only work if you have more than 1 ip address available from your ISP, but then your home network is fully viewable by anyone :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS