[s] Upgrading pets

I'm hacking up and donw the dungeon with two baby black dragon pets (well,
only one currently as one get turn into a winter wolf cub by a polytrap
but as I'm playing slash'em I thing he should eventually turn back into a
dragon).

Will they eventually turn into an adult black dragon ? If so, when ? If
there anything to do to help them appart from letting them kill a lot of
monsters ?

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Jym wrote:
> I'm hacking up and donw the dungeon with two baby black dragon pets
(well,
> only one currently as one get turn into a winter wolf cub by a
polytrap
> but as I'm playing slash'em I thing he should eventually turn back
into a
> dragon).
>
> Will they eventually turn into an adult black dragon ? If so, when ?
If
> there anything to do to help them appart from letting them kill a lot
of
> monsters ?
>
> Hypocoristiquement,
> Jym.

I believe you can speed up the process by letting them 'level up'. I
dunno if breaking a potion of gain level on their head would do it, but
feeding them wraith corpses definitely speed it up.

-K

Jym wrote:

> Will they eventually turn into an adult black dragon ? If so, when ?
If
> there anything to do to help them appart from letting them kill a lot
of
> monsters ?

Let them eat wraith corpses, that's the big one (they won't use potions
of gain level I believe), but dragons should level up fairly well if
you're cautious. I don't think it matters how strong the monsters they
kill are, they're all worth one max HP to them and advance them to
adulthood at the same rate, so it might be worth it to return to higher
levels and let them feast on things like newts.

- John H.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Kremti wrote:

> Jym wrote:
> > I'm hacking up and donw the dungeon with two baby black dragon pets
> > (well, only one currently as one get turn into a winter wolf cub by a
> > polytrap but as I'm playing slash'em I thing he should eventually turn
> > back into a dragon).
> >
> > Will they eventually turn into an adult black dragon ? If so, when ?
> > If there anything to do to help them appart from letting them kill a
> > lot of monsters ?
>
> I believe you can speed up the process by letting them 'level up'. I
> dunno if breaking a potion of gain level on their head would do it, but
> feeding them wraith corpses definitely speed it up.

If I found potions of GL, I'll have other utilities for them (such as
trying to get another bag of holding to replace the one destroyed by
eroneous price-id (forgot the surcharge) and putting a wand of "make
invisible" (after price-id and engraving-id) in it.

Upgrading items is a fun feature of slash'em. It already gave me a magic
whistle (of course, the next elf I've killed had one), a robe of power
(usual magical effect of nethack robes) and a helm of brilliance. Speed
boots founds on a huge armor shop (together with WWalking now destroyed
with my BoH :-( ) and gauntllets of dexeterity+ obtained as garanteed
first gift for monks. Just need a few scrolls of enchant armor right
now... (and also food, 6 rations were lost in the bag :-( )

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

John H. wrote:
> Jym wrote:
>

>>Will they eventually turn into an adult black dragon ? If so, when ?
>
> If
>
>>there anything to do to help them appart from letting them kill a lot
>
> of
>
>>monsters ?
>

> Let them eat wraith corpses, that's the big one (they won't use potions
> of gain level I believe), but dragons should level up fairly well if
> you're cautious. I don't think it matters how strong the monsters they
> kill are, they're all worth one max HP to them and advance them to
> adulthood at the same rate, so it might be worth it to return to higher
> levels and let them feast on things like newts.
>
> - John H.

This isn't true, at least in vanilla. They'll gain a MINIMUM of 1 max
HP, but they normally will get the monsters level in max HP (or maybe
1dLvl or something) so let them kill whatever they can.

Once they pass the maximum level for a baby dragon, they become adult
dragons.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Andy Johnson wrote:

> John H. wrote:
> > Jym wrote:
> >

> >>Will they eventually turn into an adult black dragon ? If so, when ?
>
> Once they pass the maximum level for a baby dragon, they become adult
> dragons.

So, next question would be:
What is the maximum level for baby dragon ? (just to be able by
stethoscoping to tell weather he's close or not to grow up)

Well, currently one of the two is adult and the other one, turned into a
winter wolf and then back into its baby dragon self when back to level 6,
all is to redo for him :-(

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.