MicronPC OUT??? And Other dribble!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
look <A HREF="http://about.micronpc.com/media/releases/getpr.html?pr=pr050101_1.html" target="_new">here</A> MicroPc is OUT of the pc biz, probably too many RMA's from pos overheated systems(imho) or too many price wars started by a <A HREF="http://www.amd.com" target="_new">Company</A> who's about to put up a <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/03050103.htm" target="_new">white flag</A>.

so, who's next to go down with the ship, <A HREF="http://www.alienware.com" target="_new">Alienware?</A> well imho I don't think so, AW are <A HREF="http://www.alienware.com/x/sector/info/news.htm" target="_new">thinking</A> like ppl out of this world!(way ahead of you pups)

also, P4 @1.7Ghz getting leaked <A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/18720.html" target="_new">optimized</A> nVdia drivers(yes!), sse2 software coming in nicely, lower pricing(p4 @1.7 below <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/3008-1.htm" target="_new">$380</A>, and if Amd had a 1.7Ghz it wouldn't be that cheap!(but they don't :eek: )

***a side note, some ppl think they're going to be able to run the Pailomino on existing Mainboards, HAHAHAHA! do you seriously believe that MB manufacturers would allow you that <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/29040105.htm" target="_new">pleasure?</A> HAHAHAHA!
hey, what more can you ask for, oh! I'll have a guinness.

"AMD...you are the weakest link, good bye!"

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well AMDmeltdown you forgot one thing:

you can't run the northwood p4 on current p4 motherboards. Northwood runs on socket 478 while the current p4 runs on socket 423. Sorry to brust your bubble.

Northwood will be a kick-ass processor.

The only nice Intel guy.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The "weakest links" are your thought patterns.

Even you should know by now that raw clock speed no longer indicates processor speed. The 1.33Ghz Athlon compares very favorably to a 1.7Ghz P4, and performs more OPERATIONS per cycle then the P4.

Given the choice of a 1.7Ghz P4 at $380, and an Athlon 1.33Ghz at $175 (AMD's latest price cuts), plus, taking the price of RDRAM into consideration, price/performance ration is still very much in AMD's favor.

Don't get too comfy with the current P4 pricing. When Northwood comes out it will be priced well above the current Intel givaway prices of the P4. I have no inside information, but we will just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, rumor has it that the Northwood will be delayed 3 or 4 months due to manufacturing delays with .13 micron technology. This will delay not only Northwood, but Tualatin as well. With the current shortage of P4 chips, this could mean a world of hurt for Intel.

As for Micron going out of the PC business, how can price wars between AMD and Intel affect them? It just means that they can build systems for lesser cost. I just cannot follow your reasoning (Thank God!).

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

no comment

I bought a pentium once!
Everybody makes mistakes..

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
too many price wars started by a Company who's about to put up a white flag.
The article mentions that Intel is bleeding as well. You seem to conveniently forget that...

AW are thinking like ppl out of this world!(way ahead of you pups)
I suppose that's why when MaxPC asked for AW's ultimate system, they got a T-bird.

p4 @1.7 below $380, and if Amd had a 1.7Ghz it wouldn't be that cheap!(but they don't )
AMD doesn't need one. Their 1.33 currently stacks up to the 1.7GHz P4 just fine at half the price.

a side note, some ppl think they're going to be able to run the Pailomino on existing Mainboards, HAHAHAHA! do you seriously believe that MB manufacturers would allow you that pleasure? HAHAHAHA!
That applies to a motherboard chipset that hasn't even been released yet. It says nothing about the current production Socket A chipsets.

***and on a side note, wasn't Fugger or someone saying that T-birds weren't SMP capable? I wonder how Tyan was designing an SMP board for T-birds then?

***and on another side note, the P4 is even worse off for future socket compatibility. The new one won't even have the same number of pins...

***and on yet another side note, it seems the 760MP is likely to be released before a dual P4 chipset...

You know, I'm normally not one for argument, but this is fun.

You're an idiot. Plain and simple, you're an idiot. Take that as cold hard fact rather than insult. Have a nice life. :wink:

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

G

go Kelledin, go Kelledin, go!!!

hehe

----------------------------------
I bought a pentium once!
Everybody makes mistakes..

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>Even you should know by now that raw clock speed no longer indicates, blah, blah, blah.

yeah, I know but seeing all the nice stuff sse2 is doing, it's only a matter of time where we get to see a benchmark that is not as blind(as others) and trully shows the potential of the p4.

>Given the choice of a 1.7Ghz P4 at $380, and an Athlon 1.33Ghz at $175.....

I'm sorry but right now the Athlon @1.33Ghz is <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/2786-1.htm" target="_new">above $175</A>

>Don't get too comfy with the current P4 pricing.....

Isn't this what everybody wanted? you ppl scream and bitch about *ntel pricing and yet when they are low you bitch and moan too? give me a friggin break!!!

>In the meantime, rumor has it that the Northwood will be delayed 3 or 4 months.....

stop spreading rumors and fud! :), <A HREF="http://www.inqst.com" target="_new">Inquest.com</A> has tried but failed.

>As for Micron going out of the PC business, how can price wars between AMD and Intel affect them?

here's a quote with link so you can read the pr on MicronPC descision:

<A HREF="http://about.micronpc.com/media/releases/getpr.html?pr=pr050101_1.html" target="_new"> "With growth rates in the PC industry
plunging--dropping more than six percent
in the fourth quarter alone--and price wars
by major competitors significantly
reducing gross margins, the PC business
is becoming a major drain on the
company's cash reserves," said Kocher.</A>

Personally I think they got far too many RMA's to make it worth while :smile:

"AMD...you are the weakest link, good bye!"

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Meltdown,

Please, don't fall to Fuggers level. He cannot comprehend what he reads. I at least thought you could.

<font color=blue>"With growth rates in the PC industry
plunging--dropping more than six percent
in the fourth quarter alone--and price wars
by major competitors significantly
reducing gross margins, the PC business
is becoming a major drain on the
company's cash reserves," said Kocher."</font color=blue>

Price wars by major competitors means just that. COMPETITORS. Not SUPPLIERS. Price wars between suppliers (AMD and Intel) will benefit everyone. Pricewars between Micron and their competitors will cause Micron to lower prices, reducing gross margins. This has nothing to do with AMD or Intel.

AMD price cuts were just announced this week (1.33 @ $175). Because there is no shortage of AMD chips, it will take time for current stock to be sold. By then the street price will be $175 or below. Even You know that.

I have no control of how Intel prices their products. I would love to see the prices stay down, but they won't. When Intel raises their prices, AMD will raise the price on their new products as well. Unfortunetely, I see the new processors being more expensive the ones selling today (from both AMD and Intel). Intel is hurting from the P4 cuts, and AMD can't be happy with their prices either. Sooner or later the madness will stop (I hope later).

<font color=blue>"yeah, I know but seeing all the nice stuff sse2 is doing, it's only a matter of time where we get to see a benchmark that is not as blind(as others) and trully shows the potential of the p4."</font color=blue>

The problem is that many users will not tolerate having to upgrade software to reap the benefits. Microsoft will not patch my Professional Studio to take advantage of the new instructions for free. I will have to spend a pretty penny for the new package (when it becomes available). Its not just compilers, its all the software. If patches are available for free, then it is a bit more palatable. But the majority won't be. There will be new versions, perhaps as discounted upgrades. Why shouldn't the software developers benefit financially as well? That is why I don't think the upgrades will appear for free. People will have to PAY to get the optimized products.

As for the potential of a product, I can only speak for what motivated me to get an Athlon rather then a P4. I needed to run the software I have NOW faster. What good is potential if you cannot reach it with your current tools (software)?

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Bigguy, pull your head out of your ass for a moment please.

P4 is superior to any AMD offering period. what part of 3.2 GB per sec bandwidth dont you understand?

Maybe you should go read what rayston posted reduarding SSE2 and stuff.

Ok, you can put your head back up your ass, thanks.

It will be december before you see 760MP on pricewatch, maybe.

I love the part of "tyan in mad panic", they are still trying to get it working on palamino processors still and at this time do not have working samples. =) time too swap out some more 760MP rev 23421.234.123.123.532.34.433.21E

In reguards to the tbird working in the 760MP mobo. I still doubt/deny the functionality of the processor actually working in SMP. speculate all you want. but untill this thing is out and in your hands, do not assume anything because we all know what happens when you ass-u-me.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
We sure do know what happens when we assume things about technology... P4 taught us that.

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
In reguards to the tbird working in the 760MP mobo. I still doubt/deny the functionality of the processor actually working in SMP.
Read closer, Tyan was well on the way to getting the board working with dual T-birds. The coming of the Palomino set back their plans a bit, since now they have to validate the board with a new CPU.

We've been through the T-bird/SMP thing already. T-birds have compiled a Linux kernel on that board. If SMP T-birds can compile a Linux kernel, then the whole shebang's pretty damn stable, and the T-birds themselves are indeed SMP capable. That's rather more than a certain 1.13GHz Intel CPU could do...

Oh, and maybe Intel will have an SMP P4 board out this year...and maybe it won't cripple the P4 with a GTL+ SMP bus...and maybe every app will be P4-optimized by then...and maybe all the Linux source code will be ported to FORTRAN77, so Intel's beta Linux compiler can maybe compile it. Wait, that's speculation. Who started all this speculation? Look who started the thread.

We all know what happens when you "ass-u-me," don't we? :wink:

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sure, P4 has superior bandwith, but in REALITY, the P4 is not superior to what AMD has to offer. Look at the REAL benchmarks. A 1.33 gHz Athlon performs roughly the same as a 1.7 gHz Pentium 4! Do you just not see the benchmarks, or do you think they are backwards? WHY AREN'T YOU THINKING? Who cares about bandwith when the processor doesn't doesn't use it efficiently. Look at the 1.3 gHz Pentium 4. Superioir bandwith but on a CLOCK FOR CLOCK basis, it performs much worse than and Athlon at the same speed. Do the benchmarks and data mean nothing to you FUGGER?

Sure if you plug SSE2 into a program and run it on the P4 it's going to be superior! I mean, the Pentium 4 came out more than 2 years after the original Athlon core! Of course it will have some benefits for extremely recent and future programs. It's not like SSE2 is always going to be Intel only. It is right now, but when Hammer comes out, and maybe even Barton, AMD will have SSE2 capabilities (mid 2002).

FUGGER you constantly bash and attack people for speculation and assumption, yet you ALWAYS speculate and assume, and just say "no way" instead of "maybe, maybe not" when it comes to anything about AMD. Geez.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As I said, you do not have the ability to comprehend what you read.

My statement: "As for the potential of a product, I can only speak for what motivated me to get an Athlon rather then a P4. I needed to run the software I have NOW faster. What good is potential if you cannot reach it with your current tools (software)?"

Your statement: "P4 is superior to any AMD offering period. what part of 3.2 GB per sec bandwidth dont you understand?"

The potention of 3.2 GB is there. So what? It is untapped for the majority of users. Except for mpeg encoding, and a slight FPS edge in Quake, the P4 is a disappointment. Of course, you will defend it. You bought 2 of them.

My car has the potential to hit 160MPH (so says the speedometer). It rarely goes over 65MPH. Unused potential. Like the P4. Except the tools needed to take advantage of that P4 potential are slow to arrive. I can always press the accelerator on my car to hit 160MPH. Without the new software, the P4 is crippled at best. Today. Now. What cost to upgrade existing software to tap that potential? Too much in my opinion.

You didn't like what you interpreted, and had yet another tantrum. Patiently waiting for the next one.....

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
so amdmeltdown does have thought patterns?
whou would have imagined it.

GO PENTIUM II - 300Mhz!!!
its even on an LX board - 66mhz bus speed WOO HAA
i just love my system ;)

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars