help with dual p3 with slockets

G

what slocket converters work with dual p3@700mhz not overcloced. I have a dual slot 1 mother board, but I aslo have 2 p3s at 700mhz in a socket 370 form. I have tried to use a microstar master 6905 rev 2.0, but only one processor will runn. (the 6905 rev 2.0 will alow dual cellery, but not copermine) I'm running windows 2000 and have configured windows to run with mps. That does not work. There may be a newer version of the slocket converter of ver 2.3 that may work with dual p3 but I have not seen any out on the market and msi's web site was not any help. has any one seen or have gotten this to work? and if so what slocket was used. the motherboard is a supermicro p6dgu. the bios has been upgraded to support the faster p3 chips. it runs fine running only one processor. I think the problem is with the microstar converter (master 6905 ver 2.0) thay have come out with a newer one but I have not been able to get any information on the newer version (2.3). any one seen one of these and does it offer dual copermine p3? I'm not sure that converter will handle dual fc-pga. its a little unclear how it is stated in there add.
"The ASUS S370-DL CPU card allows Slot 1 motherboards to accept socket 370 processors with Front Side Bus running at up to 133MHz. The S370-DL CPU card supports single Coppermine / Celeron and dual Coppermine / Celeron (PPGA only) processors to give Slot1 motherboard owners an inexpensive way to upgrade their Pentium® II/III computers using lower costing socket 370 processors."

Does that mean only ppga celerons or or ppga p3 as well? I't can be read as supporting pc-pga p3 duals and dual celeron ppga. anyone know?

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
The Powerleap PL-iP3 (rev.2) might just be what you need. I have the same issue with the SM PIIIDRE mobo, and was directed to ues the PL-iP3's. I contacted Tech Support and inquired about my configuration. Paul@Powerleap said they'd work fine. I haven't tried them yet, as they're $40-50 (US)with included heatsinks and fans.

Check out the PL forum, and/or send PL Tech Support an email. Please let us know if you do get them and have sucess with the upgrade. There are many people who are interested in the same option. Good Luck.

Here:http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3.htm

"This was no boating accident"

G

i thought the slocket II from iwill worked with dual boards, but check the website for iwill. they are only like 15-20 bucks

ignore everything i say

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Iv'e seen responses to threads like this in other forums(2cpu) and the respondants claimed to have had no sucess with any of the major manufacturers slotkets.

I think this is a Supermicro issue, not necessarily a general SMP issue. Apparently, Supermicro even says their own slotkets won't work in a dual configuration on their motherboards.

"This was no boating accident"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No need for the expensive Powerleap converter. Asus SAID COPPERMINE so that's what they meant. Coppermines are FC-PGA, as your PIII 700's are.

As far as special requirements for the Supermicro boards, I don't know.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine