Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing Windows from a USB

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 17, 2013 11:26:36 AM

Hi

I am having some issues with my re-installation of windows 7. I am finding that my system is becoming more and more unstable for whatever reason and I want to do a re-install of windows. The problem is that whenever I boot up from a USB and I press the "Install now" button I get that error message that I am missing some drivers and to insert them now. My friend who has the exact same hardware configuration (except for brand of HDD) is also having the same issues. Few things to note - I have a sidewinder x55 microsoft keyboard that is unusable in the windows installation screen, my mouse is a corsair something (i think vengeance) that is also unusable within the installation screen. I have tried to just download all the motherboard drivers that I could and also put them to a separate USB but it never likes any of them. I am at a complete loss on what to do. The only thing I haven't tried yet is to actually format my HDD using another computer or something (not really sure how to go about formatting the HDD). Btw my BIOS is completely up to date. It is an ASROCK z77 extreme 4, I have a i5 3550k, gtx 670 GPU and 2 sticks of ram.

Any other info you need let me know

More about : installing windows usb

January 17, 2013 12:41:44 PM

Ok thanks I will try that when I get home. Another thing I will be trying is using a different port to install windows. Currently I am using a 3.0 USB on the front of my tower and apparently windows install environment doesn't support 3.0. Now I thought I had inculded the USB 3.0 drivers when looking for them but I am not positive. I will try starting up using one of the usb 2.0 ports on the back of my tower. Any other suggestions? Thank you zdbc13.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2013 1:32:35 PM

if you are using the corsair vengeance m60 mouse--probly m90 as well

it doesnt work whilst installing windows--it needs the driver

yet it works in the uefi bios without a driver--go figure

m
l
January 17, 2013 1:40:40 PM

Borrow a ps/2 mouse and keyboard if your motherboard had ports. They always work.
m
l
January 17, 2013 1:57:11 PM

Yea I got a mouse and keyboard from one of our other computers. Okay so here are a few things I will try when I get home.

I am going to try switching my BIOS to IDE. I think it is set to AHCP and some others have said to put it in IDE. I think I have tried this before and it didn't work but I will try again.

Another thing is I will boot using a 2.0 USB port rather than a USB 3.0. A thread I read soemwhere is that the windows install environment doesn't support USB 3.0.

Side note: A former toms hardware thread has said something about switching the usb from one port to another and retrying as there is some issue with it failing to detect the USB. That didn't work for me.

One thing I don't understand is how this same usb key installation worked on a fresh harddrive but it won't work for a re-install. I am afraid to load up a USB with HDD formatting software and wipe the drive clean because if I still get this same issue I'm going to have a large paperweight. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
m
l

Best solution

January 17, 2013 10:39:56 PM

First, make sure your Windows 7 install USB is set up properly. Google create a bootable USB drive for help.
Second, make sure you insert your Windows 7 install USB into a USB 2.0 port. It'll give you an error if you try to install on a USB 3.0 port. Putting drivers onto the USB won't help as you need to finish the Windows installation to install the drivers for it to work.
Finally make sure all your keyboard/ mouse are plugged into USB 2.0 ports. If they still don't work, borrow one of your friend's keyboard and mouse.
Oh and don't switch SATA mode to IDE, keep it in AHCP.
January 18, 2013 12:38:20 AM

Thank you Joky, Its funny you said that because when I got home I disabled usb 3.0 on my motherboard and then it worked fine (even allowed use of my keyboard and mouse). So thats that, easy enough. Thanks!

If someone can tell me how to put this as solved let me know and I'll do it
m
l
January 18, 2013 12:38:27 AM

Best answer selected by thatguy14.
m
l
January 18, 2013 1:40:38 AM

Just choose a best answer and the moderators will close it for you. Good luck...
m
l
!