Using Amd 266FSB on 200 FSB Mobo

G

Hi Everyone, I had a question for all of you. I recently purchased an TBird C 1gig 266 FSB and an Abit kt7a Mobo. My processor came in first and I have an old Azza KT133bx that says the max FSB speed is 200mgz, so I popped the new TBird on the old Azza mobo while I wait for my new kt7a mobo. First of all, is this ok to do temporarilly? When I turned my computer on the mobo detects the cpu being a 750mgz. Everything seems to be running fine and it runs cool. Just wondering if its ok to run it that way for now until I get my new mobo. Thanks for your inputs.

G

Should be fine, just don't get forgetful and remove that fan :) Your chip is supposed to run at 7.5 x 133 = 1000MHz, but it's running at 7.5 x 100 = 750MHz. This is well within its capabilities. Anything below this figure is fine. You might even want to turn your 133 up as high as it will go. For example at 115MHz FSB, you'll be running at 7.5 x 115 = 862.5MHz. This is still way within the capabilities of your chip, although it might knacker that mobo. But who cares! You're getting a new one remember :)

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~

G

Thanks for the input guys. Its only a temporary thing until the dam UPS guy delivers my board. Once I get it, im prolly gonna overclock it a bit. Just bought a thermoengine and I have plenty of cooling fans so it shouldnt be a problem. =)