Sign in with
Your question

Adding space from one partition to another

Last response: in Windows 7
January 17, 2013 12:03:14 PM

Hi,

I am using SBS2008 and I am running out of space on my C drive (windows instillation drive). The hard disk containing the C drive also contains two other partitions, D, an E. I was wondering if I can shrink space from D or E and append it to C without formatting or losing any data. Working from the disk management console I noticed I have the ability to shrink a volume but I don't want to proceed until I know if I can append the freed up space to the C drive. Does anyone have any helpful information on this subject?

Please and Thank you

PS Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum category. I think windows 7 is the most similar to sbs2008.

More about : adding space partition

a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2013 12:09:52 PM

You can use Disk Management to resize (shrink) one partition, then re-allocate the free space to another (re-size). The option to increase the size is in the new max. size available.
m
l
January 17, 2013 12:24:25 PM

Thanks for the reply,

I did a test shrink on the volume adjacent to the c drive in the management console. Unfortunately the only volume that gives me the option to extend the volume is the drive that I shrunk. The other volumes have the option greyed out.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/spurrell/disk_zp...
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2013 12:31:02 PM

Hello...

I'm not sure that one can allocate unused space to another drive unless the drives are spanned (not referring to RAID).
Thus one would have to span the system drive with unused space on another drive, however if the drive fails then the entire volume fails as well.

Your best bet is purchase another drive, migrate the system drive via drive copy to the new drive via macrium for example.

Edit#1: Grammar corrections.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2013 12:33:48 PM

Just get EaseUS Partition Master Home edition, home edition being the free edition and you can resize till your hearts content. Easy peazy, just note it is going to take a long while to do to move all the data down a bit on the drive, but it will do it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2013 12:35:13 PM

Or partition magic is a good one.
m
l
January 17, 2013 1:09:42 PM

Or delete the second partition. That should allow you to increase the c: drive.
m
l
January 17, 2013 1:10:55 PM

Thanks guys!

I tried both free editions. It looks like I will have to purchase a more robust version to work on my server.
m
l
February 7, 2014 7:24:26 PM

1). Back up everything important on another physical drive or safe place.
2). Try to extend your partition space with a partition resizing tool like IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free, GParted and Paragon Partition Manager, etc.
Here is a video tutorial that may also help you a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCeT7CbsKk
m
l
!