I'm so stupid...

I just relaunched my game, decided that I first had a few thing to try in
wizard mode and so wanted to save the game, launch a new one in wizard
mode and resume later.

For some reason, instead of hitting 'S', I hit M-q, so quitting
definitively the game and loosing it.

Is there any way to try to get back my lost save ?
(I'm under Linux on a ext3 filesystem, I have root privileges and I did
not write anything on my hard drive (well, at least I tried) since that
happened).

Damn, I don't even need the RNG to kill my promising characters !
(first slash'em game, justreached quest-level).

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym, killed by his own stupidity.

> Is there any way to try to get back my lost save ?
> (I'm under Linux on a ext3 filesystem, I have root privileges and I did
> not write anything on my hard drive (well, at least I tried) since that
> happened).

ext3? sorry, your game is unrecoverably lost in the bit bucket then.
ext2 would have worked, though. Think of it as a learning experience. I
guess we've all been there already.

Jym wrote:
> I'm so stupid...
>
> I just relaunched my game, decided that I first had a few thing to try in
> wizard mode and so wanted to save the game, launch a new one in wizard
> mode and resume later.
>
> For some reason, instead of hitting 'S', I hit M-q, so quitting
> definitively the game and loosing it.
>
> Is there any way to try to get back my lost save ?

"lost save"? There's no save since you #quit'ed.

> (I'm under Linux on a ext3 filesystem, I have root privileges and I did
> not write anything on my hard drive (well, at least I tried) since that
> happened).

(Regardless of what you are doing on your account, there are more
processes active on your OS that will use the harddisk.)

> Damn, I don't even need the RNG to kill my promising characters !
> (first slash'em game, justreached quest-level).

Forget it; start a new game with all your gained new experience.

> Hypocoristiquement,
> Jym, killed by his own stupidity.

Janis

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Jym wrote:

>> For some reason, instead of hitting 'S', I hit M-q, so quitting
>> definitively the game and loosing it.

>> Is there any way to try to get back my lost save ?

> "lost save"? There's no save since you #quit'ed.

He lost the save file when he loaded it.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>>Jym wrote:
>
>>>For some reason, instead of hitting 'S', I hit M-q, so quitting
>>>definitively the game and loosing it.
>
>>>Is there any way to try to get back my lost save ?
>
>>"lost save"? There's no save since you #quit'ed.
>
> He lost the save file when he loaded it.

Sure. Though in this context I consider the *.# files also as save
files which could have been used by recover to restore the file.

Janis