New mobo, windows 7 not working

beebo

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I just had to go and buy a new motherboard for my computer, the one I had didn't have PCI-E slots I needed. I got everything hooked up and the computer starts fine. Once it gets to "Starting Windows" though, it just reboots. There's no BSOD either. I tried running and safe mode and as it was loading the files it just does the same thing. I tried running the repair tool, but that didn't seem to make much of a difference. Am I going to have to re-install windows 7? If so, will I lose all my data? This is my first time doing this, so sorry for asking any idiot questions, but you have to start somewhere.

beebo

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Thank you, but I actually made a mistake in my OP, I'm letting the Repair run again, and it's saying "Attempting Repairs" It didn't do this before, is there a possibility that it may be able to fix the problem?

w1zz4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Normally you need to reinstall windows after motherboard change. What you may try is is to perform a startup repair with the win7 disk. Most of the time it will be able to boot afterward.

I suggest you backup your files as soon as you able to boot in windows 7 and then reinstall windows 7 from scratch. Motherboard change without full windows reinstall normally leads to an unstable computer.

Here is tutorial about this :
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html