Elbereth question: Another Elven Ranger Is About To Die

Hello rgrn!

I'm tired of those guys. Not only they are pathetic, they also
seem to be unlucky like hell. Another Ran going, went to the
Castle and was immediately surrounded by a couple of arch-liches.
With some help from Longbow of Diana I managed to take out one of
them. The second one is on the run. Since I do not have any means
of controlled teleportation, I can't resort to the tried-and-true
tactic of occupying the upstairs for myself. So, running and
fighting we've reached the Medusa. I'm currently on a narrow
ice bridge in the middle of the lake. Arch-lich is on the left.
On the right there's a MMF. Obviously, there wasn't a better
moment for nasties summons. So, the question is - is it safe to
engrave Elbereth on ice with a wand of fire? Can the ice break?
Will the E-word get smudged during the fight?

--
roy axenov

Tommi Syrjanen wrote:
> Kevin Wayne <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > [some useful hints about ice, E-word, wands of fire,
> > arch-liches, nasties and red dragons]

Thanks everyone, died anyway. Nasties got me eventually.

7 535340 Tiehl-Ran-Elf-Mal-Cha died in The Dungeons of Doom on
level 22 [max 26]. Killed by a rock troll, while
helpless. - [138]

Gosh, I hate Rangers.

--
roy axenov

On 3/14/05 8:33 AM, roy axenov wrote:
> Hello rgrn!
>
> I'm tired of those guys. Not only they are pathetic, they also
> seem to be unlucky like hell. Another Ran going, went to the
> Castle and was immediately surrounded by a couple of arch-liches.
> With some help from Longbow of Diana I managed to take out one of
> them. The second one is on the run. Since I do not have any means
> of controlled teleportation, I can't resort to the tried-and-true
> tactic of occupying the upstairs for myself. So, running and
> fighting we've reached the Medusa. I'm currently on a narrow
> ice bridge in the middle of the lake. Arch-lich is on the left.
> On the right there's a MMF. Obviously, there wasn't a better
> moment for nasties summons. So, the question is - is it safe to
> engrave Elbereth on ice with a wand of fire? Can the ice break?
> Will the E-word get smudged during the fight?

A quick wizmode test tells me that you can indeed engrave on ice with a
wand of fire (I would have been willing to bet that it would just melt
the ice). I would assume that eventually it could get smudged, but I
walked away and walked back and the engraving was still there and
undisturbed. (I didn't repeat the process several times or stand and
fight for a while.)
--
Kevin Wayne

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert?"
"I was misinformed."

Kevin Wayne <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> writes:

> A quick wizmode test tells me that you can indeed engrave on ice
> with a wand of fire (I would have been willing to bet that it would
> just melt the ice).

In this particular scenario I would suggest the original poster to
quickly read a scroll of earth (if available) and engrave a new
Elbereth to the newly-created island. Arch liches summon nasties and
one red dragon is one of them...

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <1110829827.884035.156560@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
roy axenov <r_axenov@mail.ru> wrote:

>Gosh, I hate Rangers.

I generally only play elf rangers. I don't see them as a weak
class/race at all. The situation you described could happen
to any character. At least yours had guaranteed reflection.

What woud a barbarian have done in the same predicament?

james wrote:

> In article <1110829827.884035.156560@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> roy axenov <r_axenov@mail.ru> wrote:
>
>>Gosh, I hate Rangers.
>
> I generally only play elf rangers. I don't see them as a weak
> class/race at all. The situation you described could happen
> to any character. At least yours had guaranteed reflection.

They are not weak, they just have a disadvantage starting out compared
to other rangers.

Jorge

roy axenov wrote:
> Tommi Syrjanen wrote:
>
>>Kevin Wayne <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> writes:
>>

>>>[some useful hints about ice, E-word, wands of fire,
>>> arch-liches, nasties and red dragons]
>

> Thanks everyone, died anyway. Nasties got me eventually.
>
> 7 535340 Tiehl-Ran-Elf-Mal-Cha died in The Dungeons of Doom on
> level 22 [max 26]. Killed by a rock troll, while
> helpless. - [138]
>
> Gosh, I hate Rangers.

I like them. They are among the easier classes, because of their ranged
attacks.

--
Klaus Kassner