Can't Identify Network, No Internet, all adapters.

itguy1981

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
I've recently have a Sony Vaio laptop that will not get an IP addess and cannot identify networks. Both wired and wireless stay at identifying network, no internet access. At this point i've uninstalled Bonjour, reset my winsock catalog, checked the LSP, checked proxy setting - none, tried static information with no luck, uninstalled devices and reinstalled, deleted device drivers and reinstalled with new drivers, ran tweaking to reregister files, remove policies set by infections and so forth. I've scanned the PC with Combofix, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, TDSSkiller, and Malwarebytes and have found nothing. I've also removed the drive and scanned it externally. I'm almost down to a backup and reload. I've also remove IPv4 and IPv6 and reinstalled. Any suggestions?

itguy1981

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

As far as trying to flush/reset network settings I have run the following commands

ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ipv4 reset
netsh int ipv6 reset
netsh winsock reset
nbtstat -R
nbstat -RR

I've also replaced the host file. I'm starting to really hate this computer. I've been researching and working on this thing for almost three days now. I have time before it has to be fixed so I would really like to fix the issue for future issues before biting the bullet and reloading.

njxc500

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Have you tried connecting to a different network, the problem "could" be on the router side. Not as likely, but it could happen.

Let us know if you've tried to connect wired and wirelessly somewhere else.

itguy1981

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
I have. We have three networks and I can't connect to any of them. My DHCP service is not running on the laptop. I get error 2 when I try to start it. Looking in to that now.

njxc500

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
You should definitely not have a dhcp server on your laptop, that should be on your router, a dhcp problem would cause this and if you're running 2 of them on the same subnet it's trouble.

itguy1981

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

I think you misunderstood. The dhcp client service is not starting. I've also found that the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service isn't starting. Both share the dependency of the "Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock". This laptop has the identifying network issue on all networks. I has been tested outside of our building.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Check the windows event log as to why dhcp client isnt starting

itguy1981

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Okay. My system log shows
The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the following service: Netbt. This service might not be installed. I also have an error that WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service depends on the DHCP client service..... AND The DHCP CLient service terminated with the following error: The system cannot find the file specified. Anyone know what file(s) it may be referring to.

itguy1981

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Under network connections I have my local area connection, Marvell Yukon Ethernet connection, which always shows identifying. Currently, I have the wireless uninstalled, but when it is installed it does the same thing. I don't see anything that says unknown that you may be referring to. As of now I think I need to look at why the DHCP client service and TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service aren't starting.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
When you say you have "tried static information" Does that mean you have set a static IP? and it still didn't work?

What details did you use for the static IP?

itguy1981

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Our company has 2 test networks we use for infected PCs. I put in static IP, subnet, and gateway to match each network. I used 8.8.8.8, google, for DNS server. At the moment I don't remember what the statics were. I typed them in as our network admin gave them to me. I didn't write them down. However, I can say that even with all of the configurations static I can't ping any devices on the network.

itguy1981

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
I'm not currently using google for dns. I only tried it when I changed the settings to static for testing purposes. Either way I couldn't get to any server right now. I'm not getting an IP and can't even get a ping replies from any gateway I connect this laptop to.