Dimension 2400 max internal hard drive size ??

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 24, 2004 11:41:19 PM

I've read some other posts and I don't think I understood the answer
to this question. Without an extra controller card, what is the max
hard drive that the 2400 will read from the mobo ?

According to specs on Dell I see this:
http://tinyurl.com/3qxz9

To me it looks like its 160gb and so I guess if I were to put a larger
hd "inside", I'd have to have it hooked into an extra controller card
to translate the larger size to the mobo so it can read the full
capacity. Keep in mind I'm saying "inside" not external (tho I'm not
sure if it makes a difference nor if so, why).

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
TIA.
August 25, 2004 2:28:07 AM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:41:19 -0500, jim wrote:

>I've read some other posts and I don't think I understood the answer
>to this question. Without an extra controller card, what is the max
>hard drive that the 2400 will read from the mobo ?
>
>According to specs on Dell I see this:
>http://tinyurl.com/3qxz9
>
>To me it looks like its 160gb and so I guess if I were to put a larger
>hd "inside", I'd have to have it hooked into an extra controller card
>to translate the larger size to the mobo so it can read the full
>capacity. Keep in mind I'm saying "inside" not external (tho I'm not
>sure if it makes a difference nor if so, why).
>
>Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
>TIA.

Looks like reading some more old messages may have answered this tho
I'm not sure why Dell says 160gb in the reference above if Tom Scales
old post is correct. In one post of his, he says he has a 200gb
installed internally and does not mention anything about having a
controller card for it. He also mentions in his post (or maybe a
different post) that he thinks the 2400 should handle any size
internally.

Sounds like Tom Scales is the only source to contradict Dell's URL
above that I've read so far.

Anyone else have a internal hard drive greater than 160 gb installed
without any extra controller card in the 2400 ? TIA
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:55:11 AM

Jim,
I think that your website reference of:

According to specs on Dell I see this:
http://tinyurl.com/3qxz9

"Storage: Ultra ATA EIDE Hard drives up to 120 GB2 to meet your storage needs."

Is the maxium HDD size Dell is offering for this particular system.

Now some HDD manufacturers include a controller with the new HDD purchase, for older PC's that are limited in their BIOS settings to handle the size of the HDD. And that there are no longer any BIOS upgrades for that unit, to accept larger HDD's. The Dim2400 should be modern enough to handle the larger capicity HDD's. If the Dell PC needs a BIOS upgrade, it would be in the download section of Dell Support.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Looks like reading some more old messages may have answered this tho
I'm not sure why Dell says 160gb in the reference above if Tom Scales
old post is correct. In one post of his, he says he has a 200gb
installed internally and does not mention anything about having a
controller card for it. He also mentions in his post (or maybe a
different post) that he thinks the 2400 should handle any size
internally.

Sounds like Tom Scales is the only source to contradict Dell's URL
above that I've read so far.

Anyone else have a internal hard drive greater than 160 gb installed
without any extra controller card in the 2400 ? TIA
August 25, 2004 3:58:18 AM

jim wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:41:19 -0500, jim wrote:
>
>>I've read some other posts and I don't think I understood the answer
>>to this question. Without an extra controller card, what is the max
>>hard drive that the 2400 will read from the mobo ?
>>
>>According to specs on Dell I see this:
>>http://tinyurl.com/3qxz9
>>
>>To me it looks like its 160gb and so I guess if I were to put a larger
>>hd "inside", I'd have to have it hooked into an extra controller card
>>to translate the larger size to the mobo so it can read the full
>>capacity. Keep in mind I'm saying "inside" not external (tho I'm not
>>sure if it makes a difference nor if so, why).
>>
>>Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
>>TIA.
>
>Looks like reading some more old messages may have answered this tho
>I'm not sure why Dell says 160gb in the reference above if Tom Scales
>old post is correct. In one post of his, he says he has a 200gb
>installed internally and does not mention anything about having a
>controller card for it. He also mentions in his post (or maybe a
>different post) that he thinks the 2400 should handle any size
>internally.
>
>Sounds like Tom Scales is the only source to contradict Dell's URL
>above that I've read so far.

What you've read at that URL, after looking at it, and pooking
through a couple of links thereon, is based upon what Dell has
/available/ for the 2400, in 7200 RPM IDE/PATA drives.

Beyond 160, Dell is moving to SATA, apparently, based on the
charts found at the generic "Learn More" link on hard drives from

http://tinyurl.com/3qxz9, a 2400 drive info page I got to off of
your link above.

The 2400 will handle an IDE drive larger than 160GB. You'll just
have to get it elsewhere, since apparently you won't be able to
order the 2400 configured with it.
--
OJ III
August 25, 2004 4:07:49 AM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:41:19 -0500, jim wrote:

>I've read some other posts and I don't think I understood the answer
>to this question. Without an extra controller card, what is the max
>hard drive that the 2400 will read from the mobo ?
>
>According to specs on Dell I see this:
>http://tinyurl.com/3qxz9
>
>To me it looks like its 160gb and so I guess if I were to put a larger
>hd "inside", I'd have to have it hooked into an extra controller card
>to translate the larger size to the mobo so it can read the full
>capacity. Keep in mind I'm saying "inside" not external (tho I'm not
>sure if it makes a difference nor if so, why).
>
>Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
>TIA.

Thanks to Rich and Ogden, I think I have a new perspective on what
I've read from Dell and learned something too.

Thank you Rich and Ogden for enlightening me !!!

ps- sure nice to have people around here who don't call you names
when you ask a question. Great bunch of knowledgeable people too.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 10:34:16 PM

<jim> wrote in message news:2e7oi0d3q5likf9p4vp7aufs6rmtdhks7b@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:41:19 -0500, jim wrote:
>
>>I've read some other posts and I don't think I understood the answer
>>to this question. Without an extra controller card, what is the max
>>hard drive that the 2400 will read from the mobo ?
>>
>>According to specs on Dell I see this:
>>http://tinyurl.com/3qxz9
>>
>>To me it looks like its 160gb and so I guess if I were to put a larger
>>hd "inside", I'd have to have it hooked into an extra controller card
>>to translate the larger size to the mobo so it can read the full
>>capacity. Keep in mind I'm saying "inside" not external (tho I'm not
>>sure if it makes a difference nor if so, why).
>>
>>Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
>>TIA.
>

> Thanks to Rich and Ogden, I think I have a new perspective on what
> I've read from Dell and learned something too.
>
> Thank you Rich and Ogden for enlightening me !!!
>
> ps- sure nice to have people around here who don't call you names
> when you ask a question. Great bunch of knowledgeable people too.

I was traveling, so just read the thread. The 2400 has native 48-bit LBA
addressing, so there is no realistic internal limit. I have a Maxtor 250GB
drive in mine. Works great.

With the two internal drives and extra USB2 drives, I have over a terabyte
on my 2400.

Tom Scales
!