Ok, Now how do I take...

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Ok I just ordered a new HS/Fan. I went with the Alpha PAL6035 V2. It has same airflow as the FOP32-1 but about 10 less for noise. I hope it does the trick, but Im not to knowledgeable in these things. What I need to know is this; I read on ocworkbench to use nail polish remover to get the old paste off of HS. Do I use it for the chip too? I mean sounds kinda harsh of a chemical for a chip, but is it what you all use? BTW I will be putting Artic Silver II with this one so that alone should help some.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

louie2001

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
I have had good luck with cotton balls and q-tips with Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol then use I use a glasses rag to remove any little pieces of lint or fuzz.Be sure not to use too much Arctic Silver as it will make it run warmer.

Rock out with your AMD out

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don’t worry it’s actually kind of hard to damage the CPU. I have used both (nail polish remover & alcohol) to try and get the old gue off the CPU. Just take a cotton swab and rub the top of the chip. The only thing you have to worry about is bending the pins from too much down force, I suspect it would take more force then a cotton swab could apply but just be careful.

I think the single best thing I did was to lap the top of it. When I 1st got my 900 tbird and ran my finger nail over the top of it I could feel the letters on it. I then lapped it with some 400 grit (I think) and a few drops of water. After only a few seconds the CPU felt super smooth and totally clean.

As for applying the Arctic silver what you want is a super thin & even coat with no bare spots. Easier said then done. Supposedly you can take a credit card and smooth it out but it never works for me.

Good luck & Cya

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Regardless of the rumors, I have not seen any benefits of using Artic Silver II over the cheap Radio Shack paste. I did notice that it does a nice job of polishing my pocket knife blade. And it turns brown wherever it is exposed to warm air (like where it spilled over onto the PGA), leading me to believe it is not of the quality I expected.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you done any side by side comparisons? All the reviews I’ve read always show some temp drop. And I just ordered some and don’t want to feel like I wasted my mony:)

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I did notice that it does a nice job of polishing my pocket knife blade

You can do the same thing if you get some really cheap metal oxide paint, then polish it with a cotton cloth. I'm not sure if bond-o would work quite as well, but it's worth a shot....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I did a good comparision which I converd in my <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=631261#631261" target="_new">Thermaltake VolcanoII Review</A>, and since then have become increasingly dissatisfies with the resuslts of the stuff.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

louie2001

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
I agree with you there, as I used gobs of Radio Shack paste and it never made a difference on how much I used temps were the same,can't say that for Arctic Silver used too much the first few times and did make my temps climb.I have used both types of paste on T-Bird 900 K6-2 550 and recieved the same temps. Oh well I have spent more than 12 bucks on lesser things, but needed to know for myself.

Rock out with your AMD out

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
How thin is super thin? I mean like paper thin or maybe 3 or 4 paper together?

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thinner the better! If you could get it less then a peace of paper that would be ideal. All the thermal paste is for is to fill the microscopic gaps between the two surfaces. The more paste you have in there the farther away the two surfaces are form one another.

How dose this translate in the real word?
Probable not even more then a one degree but I don’t know and I’ve never read a test on the thickness of thermal paste. But who know maybe it dose make a big difference. I try to keep it thin just in case it dose.

Thx & Cya

TRENDING THREADS