So lame....death by poisened bugbear corpse

OK so ive increased my NetHack skills dramatically...i average getting
to level 8 with my chaotic elven male wizard....and i at least make it
to the oracle or past it a level or two..but the craziest game ive had
just happened...i found some blue walled place filled with
rocks..decided to finish searching the level i just came from before
checking that out..i go up the hallway...open doorway..and see
like..bugbears,trolls,orcs,gnomes..and more lots of them...and than
running at me from the hallway i just came from a few
gremlins...luckily i had found a previous corpse of mine that had many
wands and started zapping fire, magicmissle,sleep,and more while
anything that was pretty weak i used my own force bolt...after
destroying them..and getting kinda low on HP and out of Mana....a Troll
was kicking my hinney...so i teleported him away....went to eat a few
corpses...in my newly claimed...first time throne room......and got
food poisening....my god is angry with me for some odd reason...i have
no cure poisen...basically cant pray cause hes not happy with me....so
i die.....

anyone know a good way to get out of food poisening? some creative
way.....??? :( best game ive ever had...and coolest most crazy
battle...and i win..than die of FOOOD POISENING??? HOW LAME!

In rot13

Lbh pna hfr n cbgvba bs rkgen urnyvat be n rhpnylgchf yrns

You can decode this message at www.rot13.com

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Lichen Fodder wrote:
> In rot13
>
> Lbh pna hfr n cbgvba bs rkgen urnyvat be n rhpnylgchf yrns
>
> You can decode this message at www.rot13.com

Why rot13 here? I thought spoilers were the usual thing
in this group. It would be very annoying if every single
piece of spoiler were encrypted.

BTW I understand your good intentions, but I don't think it is
the right thing to do in the context of this group.

xrunesx@gmail.com wrote:

> i go up the hallway...open doorway..and see
> like..bugbears,trolls,orcs,gnomes..and more lots of them...and than
> running at me from the hallway i just came from a few
> gremlins...
>...after
> destroying them..and getting kinda low on HP and out of Mana....
> ....went to eat a few corpses...
>...and got food poisening....

You were in an extended battle and you did not pay
attention to exactly what died when. Only eat fresh
corpses. They rot and then they give fatal infections.

One way to deal with this is to kill one monster,
pick it up, and run away. Eat it out of range of the
others. Lather rinse repeat until all of the hoard is
dead, or you are Satiated, or you don't have the
chance to run away. Can't run away, don't eat any that
you don't know when they were killed.

> anyone know a good way to get out of food poisening? some creative
> way.....?

Prayer, you already covered that. Extra healing potion
or spell. Full healing potion. Anf the tool of tools
unihorn.

xrunesx@gmail.com wrote:
> [clip]...i found some blue walled place filled with
> rocks..[clip]

That would be known as "Sokoban". It's a puzzle game where you try to
move boulders into pits to clear a path to the upstairs. It's
relatively hard, if you don't read spoilers. On the last level of it,
there's a room that contains one of two valuable items.

Evidently, you haven't read any spoilers yet, so I won't say any more
(unless you want me to)(.

[OT] Except that Thunderbird (my newsreader) is acting strange and
making me manually insert linebreaks instead of automatically, like it
used to.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/

xrunesx@gmail.com wrote:
> anyone know a good way to get out of food poisening? some creative
> way.....??? :( best game ive ever had...and coolest most crazy
> battle...and i win..than die of FOOOD POISENING??? HOW LAME!

You can use an unicorn horn. An uncursed one is usually enough for food
poisoning, but you should bless it to make it work effect faster. It
helps also against blindness, hallucination, confusion, stunning and
loss of stats.

I would actually like to hear a few tips from ya all on the
boulders....what is the point of them....do they lead deeper into the
dungeons..or can i just side step them completely? Im having some
issues tho...ahah...it seems that when i go a level below the
oracle...all i ever get down there..is a massive amount of
baddies...LIKE MASSIVE im always in AWE when i see them....and throne
rooms...to which i dont know what the purpose of them is.....I dont
know what mine town is...i dont know what towns there are...there are
towns in nethack? cause i could use some i have like 5000 gold and i
need to re-equip with some wands and potions and food.....where are the
towns at? how deep does the dungeon go? and what level should i be at
when i do go deeper or get to the boulders..or what not...im level 9
Wizard right now...and how can i upgrade my wizard? like make him have
more HP he doesnt seem to be gaining much HP but plenty of MP before
they were about neck and neck in previous games.....oh well....yeah ya
guys..this is as far as ive gotten and it seems as if i have some
choices...any tips from you all would be greatly appreciated.... :)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 xrunesx@gmail.com wrote:

> I would actually like to hear a few tips from ya all on the
> boulders....what is the point of them....do they lead deeper into the
> dungeons..or can i just side step them completely? Im having some
> issues tho...ahah...it seems that when i go a level below the
> oracle...all i ever get down there..is a massive amount of
> baddies...LIKE MASSIVE im always in AWE when i see them....and throne
> rooms...to which i dont know what the purpose of them is.....I dont
> know what mine town is...i dont know what towns there are...there are
> towns in nethack? cause i could use some i have like 5000 gold and i
> need to re-equip with some wands and potions and food.....where are the
> towns at? how deep does the dungeon go? and what level should i be at
> when i do go deeper or get to the boulders..or what not...im level 9
> Wizard right now...and how can i upgrade my wizard? like make him have
> more HP he doesnt seem to be gaining much HP but plenty of MP before
> they were about neck and neck in previous games.....oh well....yeah ya
> guys..this is as far as ive gotten and it seems as if i have some
> choices...any tips from you all would be greatly appreciated.... :)

All the following is spoiler. You may consider it as a way of cheating the
game by having information you should otherwise learn/find the hard way.
As you're asking kind of precise questions, I'm asuming you don't mind
about spoilers. If you do, stop reading right know.
If you only want a small spoiler, skip the first paragraph of my response
(or don't read the web pages), I'll try to answer your questions without
saying too much.

The short answer (learning the man to fish):
http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/nethack/spoilerlist.html
Eva's page has more spoilers on nethack that you may ever dream of...
Beware, there are really far more that needed at beginning and you'll
probably be drown under them and need a few time to get use to all this
(at least I was at beginning).
(I personnally also use http://www.steelypips.org/nethack/ which has older
(3.4.1) spoilers but in html form, better suited for browsing when I need
the special effect of specific item)

The long answer (giving the man the fishes he needs right now).
Sokoban (the "blue wall" area).
This is a 4 level area going up. The first level is always accessible via
a second stairs up at the level just below the Oracle (see Dylan's
gazetter for detail, accessible from Eva's page). Each level is inspired
from one of the old sokoban computer game. You have to push boulders in
holes in order to make a passage to the stairs up for the next level.
The last level, has a big zoo (a room with *lots* (around 30) monsters in
it) and, after that zoo, a very usefull objet (two objects are possible
and you'll always have only one of them but both are *very* usefull at
that point of the game. They also can be found at other point in the
dungeon but not very often. You can completly skip Sokoban but that will
make a real goodie less (plus boulder pushing is a good way to improve
your strength). If you don't manage to find the solution (cheating, like
breaking boulders entail a small penalty that can become huge if you do it
too often), see Boudewijn's spoiler on solving Sokoban.

Huge amount of monsters below oracle: that doesn't really seem normal. You
may find throne rooms (full of monsters) below oracle but not really much
monsters that usually. You may repetidly found a "bone file", that is a
level where a prvious adventurer died which has been saved just in the
state of the death and so you run in the bunch of monsters that killed the
previous adventurers. But that seems very unlikely that this happen
*every* time.

Throne rooms. Like other special rooms (eg shops), they appear from time
to time. Like other special rooms, they add a few variety plus a bit of
fun in the game. You can get many objects from the monsters (plus gold),
plus do something more or less usefull with the throne (see the list of
extended commands (#) and you should find youself which one is designed
for thrones). Something else is also doable with thrones, like with almost
any feature of the dungeon, but I'll let you read that in the spoilers if
you don't want to find by yourself.

Towns.
You may have notice shops atsome levels of the dungeons. You may also have
notice an early level (between level 2 and 4) with *2* stairs down instead
of one. The second stairs goes to the gnomish mines (notice that, when in
the mines or Sokoban, the status area change and indicate that instead of
saying that you're in the "dungeon of doom". We call that "branches" of
the main dungeon, there are many more branches below).
The 3rd of 4th level of the mines is always "minetown". A special level
with at least 3 or 4 shops in it and an altar.

Mines are often considered tougher than main dungeon because it's more
open space so you cannot easily run and hide in corridors to face one
ennemy at a time. Plus there are more traps than in the main dungeon. With
a fighting role, I tend to go early in the mines because that a lot of
easy XPs (I often send level 1 monks in the mines to kill a few gnomes and
become level 3). With spellcasters roles, I'm more cautious about the
mines. Some people only do the mines after Sokoban. The mines below
minetown are even more dangerous and only give a few guaranteed items that
are much less useful (at least for a beginner) than what you'll find after
Sokoban, so I strongly recommend not to go below minetown before you're
character is really tough. (I usually do minetown, then Sokoban, then rest
of the mines, unless I've already what I need in terms of altars/shops in
which cases I may dash for Sokoban and it's reward)

There is another town but much more deeper. It's called Orcus town and
it's deserted. By the time you'll reach it, you'll probably won't have
much questions about towns...

Depth of the dungeon. There's two answers in it. The global depth is
around 45 to 50 levels. But the dungeon has a main "break" around level 25
where things change dramatically. Above, it's the dungeon of doom, below
it's Gehennom (hell). There are many branches in that (something like 5)
plus a few special level whose maps are not randomly generated. See
dylan's gazetter for all you ever want to know about the organisation of
the dungeon.
(and, FYI, once you've reached the lastlevel, you have to climb everything
up and pass a few more special levels before you win... Nethack is a
really *hard* game)

Concerning the level of your character versus the level of the dungeon,
well that depends of so much things... The weakest your character, the
weakest your oponnents, so you may want to do Sokoban as soon as possible
just to have easy monsters in it (and let your pet deal with them). Or you
maywant to be as high level as possible... In another thread, someone is
doing Sokoban with a level 6 character and is in position to end it. I
often am around level 10 when in Sokoban.

Keep in mond that the real point is not the depth you're at but the
equipement you have. The real risk is to be at too high level with too few
equipement and thus not being able to deal with the high level monsters
you're facing...

Concerning gaining HPs. Well, the easiest way is various potions of
healing. If you're already close to max HPs when you quaff them, then
you'll gain a few max HPs. The other solution being to play a combat role,
wizard are not meant to have a lot of HPs. See the spoilers to find out
how many HPs you'll win at each level.
(Constitution plays a very important role here, that's also why a
barbarian with 18 CON will gain, on average, 4 more HPs/level than a
wizard with 11 CON. If you have a ring of gain constitution, you may want
to put it just before gaining levels (option show_exp will be useful
here))

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

xrunesx@gmail.com wrote:

> I would actually like to hear a few tips from ya all on the
> boulders....what is the point of them....do they lead deeper into the
> dungeons..or can i just side step them completely?

The Sokoban boulders follow the rules of the game
Sokoban. They must be pushed in a specific order
to fill the holes so you can move to the next
Sokoban level. Sokoban gives all sorts of food.
Pushing all those boulders helps your strength.
And in the top Sokoban level there is a very
useful item (two possibilities). Since I don't
play the game Sokoban I have just downloaded the
spoilers when I reach those levels, and then I
know exactly where and when to push each boulder.

> Im having some
> issues tho...ahah...it seems that when i go a level below the
> oracle...all i ever get down there..is a massive amount of
> baddies...LIKE MASSIVE im always in AWE when i see them....

Monsters get tougher as you get deeper. Sometimes
it can seem like there are more of them but the
actual number doesn't change much from level to level.
Looks like you are going down to fast and you're not
learning the uses of enough object types.

> and throne rooms...to which i dont know what the
> purpose of them is.....

Safest to ignore them at your play level.

> I dont know what mine town is...

Early on there's a level with two downstairs. The
mines are crowded with monsters so if you survive
the experience there's a good cahnce you will be
able to survive far into the dungeon.

> and what level should i be atwhen i do go deeper

Early on it is nice to be at a number before you
go down to the dungeon level with that number. I
don't like to descend to level 2 until I get
welcomed to experience level 2 and so on. At some
point that patten stops working because experience
levels are exponential.

> im level 9
> Wizard right now...and how can i upgrade my wizard?

Somewhere around there it no longer works to wait
for the next promotion before going deeper.

> like make him have more HP he doesnt seem to be
> gaining much HP

I suspect you don't value armor enough at this point.
With a wizard it is easy to value armor too much so
it's a judgement issue. The better the armor the
longer your character can live in a fight. The heavier
the armor the more it interferes with magic. Very much
a skilled tradeoff that gets learned over the course
of hundreds of games.

"Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> writes:
> The Sokoban boulders follow the rules of the game Sokoban.

The Sokoban boulders follow the rules of the Sokoban level of nethack.
Said rules are almost but not quite entirely unlike the rules of the
game Sokoban.

The chief differences: in NH-soko, the pushed objects and target
locations both vanish upon one reaching the other; in Sokoban this
does not happen. NH-soko also allows you to bypass, destroy and create
pushed objects where Sokoban does not.

Douglas Henke wrote:
> "Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> writes:

>> The Sokoban boulders follow the rules of the game Sokoban.

> The Sokoban boulders follow the rules of the Sokoban level of nethack.
> Said rules are almost but not quite entirely unlike the rules of the
> game Sokoban.

I think you mean "like" instead of "unlike".

Don't use too many negations in the same sentence: it'll confuse not
only others, but also yourself.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>Douglas Henke wrote:
>> The Sokoban boulders follow the rules of the Sokoban level of nethack.
>> Said rules are almost but not quite entirely unlike the rules of the
>> game Sokoban.
>
>I think you mean "like" instead of "unlike".
>
>Don't use too many negations in the same sentence: it'll confuse not
>only others, but also yourself.

It's an approximation of the description of Advanced Tea Substitute as
being a liquid almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea, from the
works of Douglas Adams.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> xrunesx@gmail.com wrote:

>> I would actually like to hear a few tips from ya all on the
>> boulders....what is the point of them....do they lead deeper into the
>> dungeons..or can i just side step them completely?

> Sokoban gives all sorts of food.

Not only that, it also gives one random wand and one random ring per
level, both of which can be very useful.

>> and throne rooms...to which i dont know what the
>> purpose of them is.....

> Safest to ignore them at your play level.

But if you'd like to experiment: use the #sit command to use thrones, or
kick them.

>> and what level should i be at when i do go deeper

> Early on it is nice to be at a number before you
> go down to the dungeon level with that number. I
> don't like to descend to level 2 until I get
> welcomed to experience level 2 and so on. At some
> point that patten stops working because experience
> levels are exponential.

Personally, I think that's too slow, and only works with characters that
have a large food supply to start with. I go down when there are no
unexplored areas left on the map, and when I believe there are no
monsters left as well.

[ By the way: it's spelled "pattern", not "patten", even if the
pronunciation suggests otherwise. ]

>> like make him have more HP he doesnt seem to be
>> gaining much HP

The higher you Constitution, the more HP you will gain per level.
Wizards and other spellcasters gain few HP per level.

I suggest you play valkyries, barbarians or samurai for a while. They're
easier for starting players.

--

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Douglas Henke wrote:
>> "Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>> The Sokoban boulders follow the rules of the game Sokoban.
>
>> The Sokoban boulders follow the rules of the Sokoban level of nethack.
>> Said rules are almost but not quite entirely unlike the rules of the
>> game Sokoban.
>
> I think you mean "like" instead of "unlike".
>
> Don't use too many negations in the same sentence: it'll confuse not
> only others, but also yourself.

That's a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference. The negations
*belong* in there.

Raisse, killed by a burning scroll

"Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> xrunesx@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> i go up the hallway...open doorway..and see
>> like..bugbears,trolls,orcs,gnomes..and more lots of them...and than
>> running at me from the hallway i just came from a few
>> gremlins...
>>...after
>> destroying them..and getting kinda low on HP and out of Mana....
>> ....went to eat a few corpses...
>>...and got food poisening....
>
> You were in an extended battle and you did not pay
> attention to exactly what died when. Only eat fresh
> corpses. They rot and then they give fatal infections.
>
> One way to deal with this is to kill one monster,
> pick it up, and run away. Eat it out of range of the
> others. Lather rinse repeat until all of the hoard is
> dead, or you are Satiated, or you don't have the
> chance to run away. Can't run away, don't eat any that
> you don't know when they were killed.

I just found a better way - tin everything with a blessed tinning kit.

"You can convert corpses into tins. The corpse must be uneaten and have
non-zero nutrition. The resulting tin is blessed/uncursed/cursed the same
way as the tinning kit that produced it. Blessed tins are not poisonous or
rotten, and can be opened in one turn. "

P.S. I prefer hitting floating eyes if I want to die stupidly (or picking up
cockatrice corpses whilst blind).

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
> Not only that, [soko] also gives one random wand and one random ring per
> level, both of which can be very useful.

Plus at least two guaranteed very useful scrolls of a rare type, and
being able to ID that type for free.

Also lots of opportunity for good healthy exercise, for those looking
to get in shape.

And remote but still decent odds, depending on Plvl, of getting a coaligned
unicorn -- handy on a small no-teleport level, particularly if your
luck has recently been nerfed.

None of these require that you solve soko, either; only that you go there.

Douglas Henke <henke@kharendaen.dyndns.org> writes:

> And remote but still decent odds, depending on Plvl, of getting a coaligned
> unicorn -- handy on a small no-teleport level, particularly if your
> luck has recently been nerfed.

And the same for a crossaligned unicorn. Though it doesn't happen in
all my games, I quite often acquire a unicorn horn from Sokoban since
they are easier to hunt down there.

Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
> >Douglas Henke wrote:
> >> The Sokoban boulders follow the rules of the Sokoban level of nethack.
> >> Said rules are almost but not quite entirely unlike the rules of the
> >> game Sokoban.
> >
> >I think you mean "like" instead of "unlike".
> >
> >Don't use too many negations in the same sentence: it'll confuse not
> >only others, but also yourself.
>
> It's an approximation of the description of Advanced Tea Substitute as
> being a liquid almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea, from the
> works of Douglas Adams.

It is, but it's not accurate. NetHack's Sokoban level rules really are
quite similar, though not identical, to normal Sokoban rules. You could
implement all NH Soko levels in a real Sokoban game, and they would
still be solvable. ATS, however, is in fact almost entirely unlike tea
(but sufficiently not-quite-dissimilar enough to fool such poor bodies
as do not realise what a nectar _real_ tea is).

Richard

Douglas Henke wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

>> Not only that, [soko] also gives one random wand and one random ring
>> per level, both of which can be very useful.

> Plus at least two guaranteed very useful scrolls of a rare type, and
> being able to ID that type for free.

> Also lots of opportunity for good healthy exercise, for those looking
> to get in shape.

Which were both already mentioned by the original poster, to which I
reacted.

That's why I used the wording "not only that". I plead guilty to not
quoting the entire original message.

--

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Douglas Henke wrote:

>> Plus at least two guaranteed very useful scrolls of a rare type, and
>> being able to ID that type for free.

>> Also lots of opportunity for good healthy exercise, for those looking
>> to get in shape.

> Which were both already mentioned by the original poster, to which I
> reacted.

Sorry: only the exercise was mentioned earlier: the scrolls weren't
mentioned.

--

Manuel wrote:
> Lichen Fodder wrote:
>
>>In rot13
>>
>>Lbh pna hfr n cbgvba bs rkgen urnyvat be n rhpnylgchf yrns
>>
>>You can decode this message at www.rot13.com
>

> Why rot13 here? I thought spoilers were the usual thing
> in this group. It would be very annoying if every single
> piece of spoiler were encrypted.
>
> BTW I understand your good intentions, but I don't think it is
> the right thing to do in the context of this group.

Nonsense - spoilers at least need a warning. And a good news reader
(pan?) should be able to rot13 stuff for you...

But in this case, I think it wasn't called for - the guy was basically
asking "WTF do I do?" In this case, saying "try drinking a potion of
extra healing" would be just fine.

--LWM

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> xrunesx@gmail.com wrote:
>>like make him have more HP he doesnt seem to be
>>gaining much HP
>

> I suspect you don't value armor enough at this point.
> With a wizard it is easy to value armor too much so
> it's a judgement issue. The better the armor the
> longer your character can live in a fight. The heavier
> the armor the more it interferes with magic. Very much
> a skilled tradeoff that gets learned over the course
> of hundreds of games.

I suspect he doesn't value running away and missle weapons enough :)

Don't close with more than one monster at a time. Let your pet get in
the way and help out, if he can. On the other hand, you do need to eat
as many corpses as you can, being a Wizard...

But yes, he who learns to run away, lives to fight another day. You can
regen hp and mana on a higher level if you get low :)