Anyone Know What it Means

G

When you have a 1.2 GHz System that doesn't run like a 1.2 GHz system and in fact runs gawd awfully slow?

The configuration is as follows

ABit KT7A Raid
AMD Thunderbird 1.2 GHz Processor 266 MHz FSB
Micron 256 MB PC133 SDRAM
Asus V7700 Deluxe 64 MB
Maxtor 30 GB 7200 RPM ATA100 Hard Drive
Plextor 16x10x40 IDE CD Writer

The OS is Windows 2000 Professional
DMA is enabled

Already changed the memory and replaced the mobo once

Takes about 3 minutes to boot up whereas it takes my Pentium III 450 MHz 1 minute to boot up.

Installed the game Soldier of Fortune that came with the 7700 and it took FOREVER to install.

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

P.S.

1.) The HD and the Writer are on different controllers

2.) There is a lot of stuff running at start up, but to actually get into Windows takes a long ass time. I've seen slower systems with the same programs load up in a shorter period of time.

3.) To my knowledge, my bios settings are correct, but I will check again

4.) It's slow in EVERYTHING. It chugs along in games-chugging in that everything is choppy

5.) All Drivers/Bios are latest versions as well

G

Hmmm. I've build a lot of 1.2 T-Bird systems, and all have been quick and more then up to snuff. I haven't used that Abit board however, but if you've already switched it, I highly doubt that it would be a defective motherboard. Is it just the booting of Windows that the is the slow part? Or is it right from the get go, including the BIOS start up also?

--
Free us from these chains, let us slip these bonds and touch the sky with our imagination.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Maxtor ATA100 drives have two modes of operation, with and with acoustic management. With acoustic management enabled you also have a choice of <b>quiet</b> mode and <b>fast</b> mode. Some drives were shipped with quiet mode (much slower) enabled.

Here is a link where you can download the <b>Acoustic Management Software</b>.

<A HREF="http://www.maxtor.com/softwaredownload/Maxtor_Downloads.htm" target="_new">http://www.maxtor.com/softwaredownload/Maxtor_Downloads.htm</A>

I don't know if the <b>AMSET</b> utility will fix your particlar problems but it is worth checking. Just boot to DOS and run the utility. It will list the command line options. Type <b>AMSET /check</b> and the utility will tell you if acoustic management is enabled and if quiet mode is set. I recommend disabling Acoustic Management, alltogether.

You might also want to download the Write Verification Utility, <b>WVSET</b>. Enable for better data integrity. Disable for more write speed.

G

Hi there. Basically it's the booting up process that is slow and the actualy loading of and playing of games is slow (choppiness). Thanks