Distinguished
May 7, 2001
Just try to make a new PC.

CPU: TB FSB266 1.2GHz
Cooler: Switech MC370
MB: Iwill KK266
RAM: 256 PC133
Graphics: Gladiac Ultra (GeForce2)

Well I put them together I got as result nothing. The PC simply does not start. I know the graphic card is OK (Test on another machine). On the MB I changed the FSB to 133.

How can I test if it is the MB or the CPU that is bad? Is it possible to get the puter boot when you have no RAM (just the POST and see the screen on)?

Thanks!
Ice3

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
if you have your pc speaker plugged onto the mobo it will tell you what is happening or not.

Lack of either RAM, CPU or Video will make it beep in a certain way.

If your fans are not turning and your HDDs not spinning up, you have either a mobo or power supply problem. Recheck your switch and reset connections from the case and the ATX connector from the PSU. Make sure the psu is set to your local voltage and that it is turned on as well.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes mobo or power supply
what power supply are u using? 300W or more?

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes, check EVERY single connection. make sure your ribbon cables are not upside down, and especially check your processor sitting, ram, and power supply connections.

<A HREF="http://static.stileproject.com/pika.swf" target="_new">Hyakugojyuuichi!!</A>

ice3

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
I will check each cable again. But I don't have a hard disk installed yet. I just try to boot to enter the BIOS. I don't have a FDD installed yet too.

Also I use a 300W PSU. All the fans a turning well (the swithec is very loudy).

I can't check now (at work) but once I have it done I will post the "beep" sound.

What are the different sounds for the CPU, MB, RAM, other?

Ice3

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
The beeps are specific to your mobo so you'll need to check in the troubleshooting guide of your mobo manual - but you probably already read through that - right? :wink:

dhlucke

Polypheme
The A7V won't work properly without a disk drive for example. Get that in there and get the hd in there too. You haven't finished building the computer.

<font color=red>Did you ever wonder WHY aliens only abduct idiots?</font color=red>

ice3

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
Ok I checked everything 10 times again. All the cables seems OK. I even put a hard disk. But whaterver I do there is nothing. Not even a beep :( Tried the set the speaker cable upsidedown without success. The Fans and hard drivers starts and there is a led on the MB that is on. But I couldn't find what it means in the documentation.

I the user guide there is no mention of the beep patterns but in an annexe document (halas it's in Japanese). But from what I could understand the BIOS failed the POST.

In this case what can it be? Is there a BIOS problem, flash improper set or worth not present?

Ice3

PS: I tried to clear the CMOS (Jumper) as well but with no effect as well.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
no beeps means either dead mobo, dead video card, dead ram or dead cpu.

Chances are you will not find out which without spare parts, so I'd take all above into a PC shop and ask them to test for you.

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Power Supply???

Had one do same thing, fans would turn, Power LED on, but Mobo didn't do anything... I thought it was dead CPU, Or Mobo, but turned out to be PS...

Maybe?

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had this happen to me one time. The thing that was wrong for me was the Power Supply switch was turned from 115V to 220V or whatever the standard is in Europe. As soon as I switched it over, and powered it back on, Everything started working correctly.

I'm not saying this is your issue but it's worth a look as I returned a motherboard when the motherboard was not the issue.

Check out my rig:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A>

ice3

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
My power supply does only work at 115V. There is no switch. I checked it twice. It sad because the case is great but the power supply is limited to 115V :(

G

"On the MB I changed the FSB to 133."

Set it at 100. Maybe you got an atlhon -b 1.2 100. And now you are trying to boot it at 1.6 Ghz 12x133).

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>But whaterver I do there is nothing. Not even a beep :( Tried the set the speaker cable upsidedown without success. The Fans and hard drivers starts and there is a led on the MB that is on.</b>
Could it be short to ground? Did you try it outside the case?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Hmmm...that reminds me of a mistake I see very, very often.

Along the rear edge of the mobo...the one with the KB/mouse/COM/LPT ports...how many screw holes are there in the mobo?

There are usually either three or four. The fourth "optional" hole is about two inches below the topmost slot (the slot nearest the CPU socket)--assuming it's there. Some ATX motherboards have that hole, some don't. What's bad is that some cases have a non-removable standoff for that hole (which actually breaks ATX 2.03 standard, but is ATX 1.0 compliant. Screwed up, I know). That's the standoff that I've found most often gets left grounding against the motherboard.

Also, to test the motherboard itself to some extent, try taking out your RAM and leaving the CPU, HSF, and speaker connected, then power the system up. Every properly functioning mobo I've ever seen will give you a long beep under these conditions, telling you that the memory is not installed. If the mobo doesn't even do that, then probably either something's grounding the mobo, or the mobo's dead.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

G

I had the same problem with one of my cases somewhere it was grounded. The led being on means that there is power on the mobo nothing more nothing less, unless otherwise specified in the mobo manual.
The suggestion mentioned above is a very probable cause. If leaving the mobo aout of the case disent help, i would go for the pc-shop option. First suspect for me would be the mobo itsself.

Hey man i dont know .. i just think i do !!

ice3

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
I cannot check my mobo but I check the CPU on another AMD mobo: the processor is totaly death!!!!! My firends PC did exact the same with my processor and when I switch back to the normal processor everything is fine!

I just bought a totaly dead processor :( *sobs* (head for the shop tomorrow)

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
From past experience, no sound indicates a dead CPU (not always, but most of the time). I would exchange that first under warranty, if that doesn't fix it, then do the mobo.