Does hide in plain sight mean you can hide in any shadow however small it
may be?

Zimrakoko wrote:
> Does hide in plain sight mean you can hide in any shadow however
small it
> may be?

I dont' see the connection between a shadow and hiding (unless you are
of the outmoted and silly mindset that hide requires a shadow because
2ed used the phrase hide in shadows and assumed we were all bright
enough to know that it was refering to hiding), but hide in plain
digfht means that you may hide while being directly observed (this is
not usually the case).

Zimrakoko <zim5288@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Does hide in plain sight mean you can hide in any shadow however small it
>may be?

Well, sure, but the smaller the shadow, the more harder it becomes for
someone to miss hitting you by simply aiming at the shadow...

"Mr. Nesbitt has learnt the value of not being seen. However, he has
chosen a very obvious piece of cover." <BOOM!>

-- Monty Python's Flying Circus, "How Not to be Seen"

--
Donald

Anivair <anivair@gmail.com> wrote:

>Zimrakoko wrote:
>> Does hide in plain sight mean you can hide in any shadow however
>>small it may be?
>
>I dont' see the connection between a shadow and hiding

Quoting from the SRD:
Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill
even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of
some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view
in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot,
however, hide in her own shadow.

Clear enough? All my shadowdancers carry umbrellas around... :)

Donald

In article <d058fa$n88$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Donald Tsang) wrote:

> Anivair <anivair@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >Zimrakoko wrote:
> >> Does hide in plain sight mean you can hide in any shadow however
> >>small it may be?
> >
> >I dont' see the connection between a shadow and hiding
>

> Quoting from the SRD:
> Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill
> even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of
> some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view
> in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot,
> however, hide in her own shadow.
>
> Clear enough? All my shadowdancers carry umbrellas around... :)
>
> Donald

Buddy system!

Does this mean that PAIRS of shadow dancers could sneak up on a party
across a featureless plain (say a dry lakebed) by hiding in each other's
shadows?

Charleson Mambo

To confuse, inveigle, and obfuscate.
<spam> www.accanthology.com Buy "The Alt.Cyberpunk.Chatsubo Anthology" </spam>

Charleson Mambo wrote:
> In article <d058fa$n88$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
> tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Donald Tsang) wrote:
>

>>Anivair <anivair@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>I dont' see the connection between a shadow and hiding
>>

>>Quoting from the SRD:
>> Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill
>> even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of
>> some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view
>> in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot,
>> however, hide in her own shadow.
>>
>>Clear enough? All my shadowdancers carry umbrellas around... :)
>>
>> Donald
>

> Buddy system!
>
> Does this mean that PAIRS of shadow dancers could sneak up on a party
> across a featureless plain (say a dry lakebed) by hiding in each other's
> shadows?
>

> Charleson Mambo

Also you need to read the rules completely as it says you still need to
make a HIDE Check. Therefore the party or person being closed on have a
roll to spot you. Hide in Shadows also does not confer silent movement
on your character either. It is nice to note that Hide in Shadows is a
Supernatural Ability and does not invoke an Attack of Oppotunity. Which
has saved my Shadow Dancer a couple of times.

Bramage

--

NOTE! My email address may not be added to any commercial mail list with
out my permission. Violation of my privacy

"Charleson Mambo" <mambospam1@prtc.net> wrote in message
> In article <d058fa$n88$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
> tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Donald Tsang) wrote:
>
>> Anivair <anivair@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >I dont' see the connection between a shadow and hiding
>>

>> Quoting from the SRD:
>> Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill
>> even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of
>> some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view
>> in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot,
>> however, hide in her own shadow.
>>
>> Clear enough? All my shadowdancers carry umbrellas around... :)
>>
>> Donald
>

> Buddy system!
>
> Does this mean that PAIRS of shadow dancers could sneak up on a party
> across a featureless plain (say a dry lakebed) by hiding in each other's
> shadows?

I like the way you think, my friend.

Even better: a peasant and his mule, surrounded by a virtual army of
undetected shadow dancers.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

Anivair<anivair@gmail.com> gave the game away:
> I dont' see the connection between a shadow and hiding (unless you are
> of the outmoted and silly mindset that hide requires a shadow because
> 2ed used the phrase hide in shadows and assumed we were all bright
> enough to know that it was refering to hiding), but hide in plain
> digfht means that you may hide while being directly observed (this is
> not usually the case).

Reread the SRD.

Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill even
while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of
shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view in the open without
anything to actually hide behind. She cannot, however, hide in her own
shadow.

--
Matt Alexander
majelix@geh-hibidy-hoo-ha

Charleson Mambo <mambospam1@prtc.net> wrote:
>> Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill
>> even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of
>> some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view
>> in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot,
>> however, hide in her own shadow.
>>
>> Clear enough? All my shadowdancers carry umbrellas around... :)
>
> Buddy system!
>
> Does this mean that PAIRS of shadow dancers could sneak up on a party
>across a featureless plain (say a dry lakebed) by hiding in each other's
>shadows?

I think the weakness of that plan is, "if you're casting a shadow,
where there otherwise aren't any shadows, it's something that the
party can notice". Since you purposely aren't trying to hide your
shadow (since otherwise, your cohort couldn't hide...), it can be
seen normally.

True, there's a similar problem with an umbrella, but at least one can
leave the umbrella lying on the ground somewhere...

IMHO, the "some sort of shadow" should be at most one 2-D size-class
smaller than the shadowdancer, as well... ("I hide in the shadow under
that grain of sand!")

Donald

Charleson Mambo <mambospam1@prtc.net> wrote in message news:<mambospam1-5EB539.20334902032005@ispnews.usenetserver.com>...
> In article <d058fa$n88$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
> tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Donald Tsang) wrote:
>
> > Anivair <anivair@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >I dont' see the connection between a shadow and hiding
> >

> > Quoting from the SRD:
> > Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill
> > even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of
> > some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view
> > in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot,
> > however, hide in her own shadow.
> >
> > Clear enough? All my shadowdancers carry umbrellas around... :)
> >
> > Donald
>

> Buddy system!
>
> Does this mean that PAIRS of shadow dancers could sneak up on a party
> across a featureless plain (say a dry lakebed) by hiding in each other's
> shadows?

I'm sorry, did you just suggest two different people casting shadows on one another?

As in, A casts a shadow on B, while B casts a shadow on A?

Just think about that for a minute.

In article <be6d75e.0503031422.314f3997@posting.google.com>,
Nick vanRjin <snikers000@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Charleson Mambo <mambospam1@prtc.net> wrote in message news:<mambospam1-5EB539.20334902032005@ispnews.usenetserver.com>...
>> In article <d058fa$n88$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
>> tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Donald Tsang) wrote:
>> > Quoting from the SRD:
>> > Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill
>> > even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of
>> > some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view
>> > in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot,
>> > however, hide in her own shadow.
>>
>> Does this mean that PAIRS of shadow dancers could sneak up on a party
>> across a featureless plain (say a dry lakebed) by hiding in each other's
>> shadows?
>
>I'm sorry, did you just suggest two different people casting shadows on one another?
>
>As in, A casts a shadow on B, while B casts a shadow on A?
>
>Just think about that for a minute.

Too bad that's not what the quote says. There just needs to be shadow within
10'.

snikers000@hotmail.com (Nick vanRjin) wrote in

> I'm sorry, did you just suggest two different people casting
> shadows on one another?
>
> As in, A casts a shadow on B, while B casts a shadow on A?

No, A and B stand within ten feet of each other. Each casts a
shadow on the ground. B uses A's shadow to HIPS while A uses B's.
Fair within the rules. The only prohibition, can't use your own
shadow.

--
Marc

Nick vanRjin wrote:

> I'm sorry, did you just suggest two different people casting shadows
on one another?

> As in, A casts a shadow on B, while B casts a shadow on A?
>
> Just think about that for a minute.

Maybe they're very fat . . .

Bad to engage them in melee. good spot for an area of effect spell :)

Nick vanRjin wrote:

> I'm sorry, did you just suggest two different people casting shadows
on one another?

> As in, A casts a shadow on B, while B casts a shadow on A?
>
> Just think about that for a minute.

First, it was a sugestion of imperfect seriousness.

Secondly, all the rule says is that they have to be within 10 feet
of
a shadow (not their own). There's nothing about their position in
relation to said shadow. (Which makes it even funnier.)

DM: Right, on the 77th day of walking across the burning sands of the
desert of freaky visions you see a dozen shadows moving across the
dunes. The shadows are moving in pairs, and [dice rolls] you don't see
anything which may be casting the distorted but vaugely humanoid
shadows.

Player 1: I hold out my holy symbol and get a good grip on my twice
blessed mace!

Player 2: I hide behind the cleric and pull out my last bottle of holy
water, which I had marked with a skull and crossbones.

Player 3: What! You had water on you! Why you little [expletives
deleted] All right! All right! I AM calm! Fine, I stand behind the
[expletive deleted] rogue with my +2 bastard sword. And if the
[expletive deleted] rogue tries to drink the [expletive deleted] holy
water instead of splashing it on the [expletive deleted] shadows I'll
[expletive deleted] kill the rogue!

Player 4: I prep Magic Missile. Oh wait, would daylight hurt shadows?

DM: Roll arcana.

Player 4: [dice rolls] yes! Oh wait, It's already daylight right?

DM: Yes.

Player 4: Never Mind. Oh wait, I know, I'll prep Halt Undead!

Player 1: Ah Ha! I knew it! You foul necromancer!...

Player 4: Am not!

DM: sigh, What will you do?

Player 5: I DISBELIEVE!

DM: What?

Player 5: I disbelieve! [air quotes] desert of freaky visions![air
quotes] I disbelieve!

And so on.

Charleson Mambo

(it practically writes itself)

(blah. frelling isp's newsserver isn't cooperating. must have tried to
reply 4 or 5 times. sorry for any reduntant replies)

dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb) wrote in message news:<d0831i$a8u$1@knot.queensu.ca>...
> In article <be6d75e.0503031422.314f3997@posting.google.com>,
> Nick vanRjin <snikers000@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Charleson Mambo <mambospam1@prtc.net> wrote in message news:<mambospam1-5EB539.20334902032005@ispnews.usenetserver.com>...
> >>
> >> Does this mean that PAIRS of shadow dancers could sneak up on a party
> >> across a featureless plain (say a dry lakebed) by hiding in each other's
> >> shadows?
> >
> >I'm sorry, did you just suggest two different people casting shadows on one another?
> >
> >As in, A casts a shadow on B, while B casts a shadow on A?
> >
> >Just think about that for a minute.
>
> Too bad that's not what the quote says. There just needs to be shadow within
> 10'.

Whoops! Yes, you're right. I'm sorry, I assumed that the shadowdancers
have to enter the shadow...but under the rules, proximity is all that
matters.

In article <1109969640.463533.262690@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Charleson Mambo <charleson_mambo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>(it practically writes itself)

You give yourself too little credit!

In article <d0ak3k$n4p$1@knot.queensu.ca>,
dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb) wrote:

> In article <1109969640.463533.262690@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> Charleson Mambo <charleson_mambo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >(it practically writes itself)
>
> You give yourself too little credit!

Thanks! I just wish the bank had the same opinion.

Sampo Smolander wrote:
> Malachias Invictus <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Even better: a peasant and his mule, surrounded by a virtual army of
>>undetected shadow dancers.
> Something remotely similar here:
> http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=3

And here is one that is directly similiar:

<http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=147>
--
"... to satisfy the honours and place, I had to leave her in silence ..."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>