Another one bit the dust...

I had a human healer that successfully completed the protection racket
(precisely enough money for maximum AC reduction). I proceeded to kill
the gnomes in Mine Town, together with my faithful doggie.

To protect Rothond, I left the captain of the watch in the temple and
locked him in. As long as he cannot see you, he doesn't care about that.

A while later, I had cleared the level, and reached level 5 (still
unskilled in scalpel, though). A nymph had stolen my pickaxe but I had a
spare one two levels up. I returned to the temple to BUC-ID the loot I
had found in town.

When I got back there, I unlocked the door, got in, turned around and
closed and locked the door once more, to keep my doggie from entering.
The captain let me do this. After I finished IDing my stuff, I got
worried. My worries proved correct.

The captain wouldn't let me open the door with the same key I used to
lock it!

Since I had no means of digging, my only chance was to hit the captain
with my wand of sleep, hope not to be hit myself, unlock the door, let
my pet in and let it kill the still sleeping captain. All steps failed,
and the captain killed me.

Why will a watch member let you use a key to lock a door?

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

> > Why will a watch member let you use a key to lock a door?
>
> They won't. But, as with unlocking with a key, they usually
> don't notice. You just got "lucky" with the locking and unlucky with
> the unlocking.

More to the point, /why/ does the watch care if you use a key to open a
door? Isn't that the way they're supposed to be opened?

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Why will a watch member let you use a key to lock a door?

They won't. But, as with unlocking with a key, they usually
don't notice. You just got "lucky" with the locking and unlucky with the
unlocking.

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

John Campbell <jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com> writes:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
> > Why will a watch member let you use a key to lock a door?
>
> They won't. But, as with unlocking with a key, they usually
> don't notice. You just got "lucky" with the locking and unlucky with the
> unlocking.

The Watch doesn't care about people _locking_ unlocked doors:

if(picking_lock(&x, &y) && IS_DOOR(levl[x][y].typ) &&
(levl[x][y].doormask & D_LOCKED)) {

is the criterion they use for getting annoyed.

: "Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all." :
: -- A.J. Balfour :

"Taramnos" <taramnos@gmail.com> writes:
> More to the point, /why/ does the watch care if you use a key to open a
> door? Isn't that the way they're supposed to be opened?

The keys with which the player can unlock doors are skeleton keys. As
any alert watchma^H^Hperson knows, these are as much a burglary tool
as any lockpick.

Perhaps I can interest sir in one of our vintage nethacks which
implement multiple key types?

Douglas Henke <henke@kharendaen.dyndns.org> writes:
> "Taramnos" <taramnos@gmail.com> writes:
> > More to the point, /why/ does the watch care if you use a key to open a
> > door? Isn't that the way they're supposed to be opened?
>
> The keys with which the player can unlock doors are skeleton keys. As
> any alert watchma^H^Hperson knows, these are as much a burglary tool
> as any lockpick.
>
> Perhaps I can interest sir in one of our vintage nethacks which
> implement multiple key types?

Only for chests and large boxes, note; only skeleton keys would work
in doors even then.

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> was moved to say:

>Another one bit the dust...

>Since I had no means of digging, my only chance was to hit the captain
>with my wand of sleep, hope not to be hit myself, unlock the door, let
>my pet in and let it kill the still sleeping captain. All steps failed,
>and the captain killed me.

Welcome to the club (I posted my similar sad story last week).

I hesitate to ask such an illustrious NetHacker, but can I assume you
had no means of teleportation in that pile of booty you had just
dropped on the altar?

--

JPD

SGFN

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> John Campbell <jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com> writes:
>
>>Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>>

>>>Why will a watch member let you use a key to lock a door?
>>
>> They won't. But, as with unlocking with a key, they usually
>>don't notice. You just got "lucky" with the locking and unlucky with the
>>unlocking.
>

> The Watch doesn't care about people _locking_ unlocked doors:
>
> if(picking_lock(&x, &y) && IS_DOOR(levl[x][y].typ) &&
> (levl[x][y].doormask & D_LOCKED)) {
>
> is the criterion they use for getting annoyed.

Hmm. I could've sworn I'd gotten the "Stop picking that lock!"
message when locking doors before...

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

JPD wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> was moved to say:

> I hesitate to ask such an illustrious NetHacker,

Who? Where?

> but can I assume you had no means of teleportation in that pile of
> booty you had just dropped on the altar?

Definitely not. In this game, I even tried out all blessed and uncursed
potions and scrolls (which I normally never do), and I had already found
and identified the appropriate scroll (I hadn't found the wand).

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Douglas Henke <henke@kharendaen.dyndns.org> wrote in

> "Taramnos" <taramnos@gmail.com> writes:
>> More to the point, /why/ does the watch care if you use a key to open
>> a door? Isn't that the way they're supposed to be opened?
>
> The keys with which the player can unlock doors are skeleton keys. As
> any alert watchma^H^Hperson knows, these are as much a burglary tool
> as any lockpick.
>
> Perhaps I can interest sir in one of our vintage nethacks which
> implement multiple key types?

Call me a sarcastic bastard but I'd rather interest our fellow
nethackers in google so that they can search for this conversation
instead of repeating it two days after it was last started.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Taramnos" <taramnos@gmail.com> wrote in

>> > Why will a watch member let you use a key to lock a door?
>>
>> They won't. But, as with unlocking with a key, they usually
>> don't notice. You just got "lucky" with the locking and unlucky with
>> the unlocking.
>
> More to the point, /why/ does the watch care if you use a key to open a
> door? Isn't that the way they're supposed to be opened?

because it's not a normal key persay it's either a skeleton key or a
lockpick...

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> I had a human healer that successfully completed the protection
racket
> (precisely enough money for maximum AC reduction). I proceeded to
kill
> the gnomes in Mine Town, together with my faithful doggie.
>
> To protect Rothond, I left the captain of the watch in the temple and
> locked him in. As long as he cannot see you, he doesn't care about
that.

When I first arrive in minetown I spend some amount of
time locking the watch into unused rooms. They never
open the doors so they are safe until dwarves or rockmoles
or whatever excavate the area. Sometimes I lock them
in shops, but never in the temple.

Watch members can be herded soewhat, if you have enough
patience. Standing next to a wall limits their
mobility a little. It might take 10-20 turns each
to get them into rooms.

> When I got back there, I unlocked the door, got in, turned around and
> closed and locked the door once more, to keep my doggie from
entering.
> The captain let me do this. After I finished IDing my stuff, I got
> worried. My worries proved correct.
>
> The captain wouldn't let me open the door with the same key I used to
> lock it!

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>>
>> I had a human healer that successfully completed the protection
> racket
>> (precisely enough money for maximum AC reduction). I proceeded to
> kill
>> the gnomes in Mine Town, together with my faithful doggie.
>>
>> To protect Rothond, I left the captain of the watch in the temple and
>> locked him in. As long as he cannot see you, he doesn't care about
> that.
>
> When I first arrive in minetown I spend some amount of
> time locking the watch into unused rooms. They never
> open the doors so they are safe until dwarves or rockmoles
> or whatever excavate the area. Sometimes I lock them
> in shops, but never in the temple.
>
> Watch members can be herded soewhat, if you have enough
> patience. Standing next to a wall limits their
> mobility a little. It might take 10-20 turns each
> to get them into rooms.
>
>> When I got back there, I unlocked the door, got in, turned around and
>> closed and locked the door once more, to keep my doggie from
> entering.
>> The captain let me do this. After I finished IDing my stuff, I got
>> worried. My worries proved correct.
>>
>> The captain wouldn't let me open the door with the same key I used to
>> lock it!

another way to do it is get knock spell (It's level 1)... and then lock the
door from outside.
--
lisp LIVES!!!