Thanks, master of Script!

So I'm playing an orcish Barbarian, and decide to do Sokoban before the
mines this time. On the level above Sokoban, I run into a large cat
named Script. I promptly tame him, and he proceeds to not only destroy
his master's ghost (whose name unfortunately eludes me), but also (as I
avert my horrified gaze) to feast upon his body. The bones pile turns
out to lie on top of poison spikes, but hey -- I'm a Barbarian, so no
big deal. And what a bones pile it is! There, in the items in that
pile, that character's whole tragic story is written. He was an
archeologist; he found a magic lamp early and wished himself up a +2
GDSM (the de-magicked oil lamp was still there in the pile); he went to
Sokoban and got a bag of holding; in Minetown, his pet slaughtered the
watch captain and gave him a silver saber; he found speed boots in one
of the shops; he went to Mine's End and got the luckstone, as well as a
whole slew of genuine gems (no glass in his collection, he had a
blessed touchstone); and then after all that he stepped on some
poisoned spikes and died. What a YAAD for him -- and what a convenient
death for me: there wasn't even a scary monster still hanging about to
claim another victim.

I'd never before found a bones pile this good this high up. Characters
with GDSM, speed boots, and a silver saber don't usually die this
early. And in fact, if it had been a monster that killed him, it would
certainly have made short work of my AC 4 Barbarian.

It didn't hurt that MY version of Sokoban was then the one that gave
the "oR. And that there was an altar on Dlvl 1 (cross-aligned, but not
anymore), which allowed me to do some much-needed uncursing and
blessing. Script is proving to be an asset as well.

I'm about to head down to minetown myself. I haven't bought any
protection yet and am already XL 10, so the bones pile gold and
identified gems are going to be very useful.

The RNG are probably waiting to kill me in some horrible, unexpected
way. I'll just try to remember -- one person's YAAD or YASD can be
another person's unbelievable stroke of luck.

On Thu, 16 Mar 2005 anat622@hotmail.com wrote:

> he found a magic lamp early and wished himself up a +2 GDSM
> and then after all that he stepped on some
> poisoned spikes and died.

The life-enhancing effect of an early GDSM depends on the value of "G".

I /hate/ unfair insta-deaths.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Philipp Lucas wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2005 anat622@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>>he found a magic lamp early and wished himself up a +2 GDSM
>>and then after all that he stepped on some
>>poisoned spikes and died.
>

> The life-enhancing effect of an early GDSM depends on the value of "G".
>
> I /hate/ unfair insta-deaths.

I can say with 99.99931415926535897932% accuracy that the G = Gray,
since people rarely wish for Green Dragon Scale Mail. And if they did,
they would have poison resistance and wouldn't have died on poisoned
spikes.

Pardon my incorrect usage of "they".

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/

Shadow <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> wrote:

>Philipp Lucas wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Mar 2005 anat622@hotmail.com wrote:
>>>he found a magic lamp early and wished himself up a +2 GDSM
>>>and then after all that he stepped on some
>>>poisoned spikes and died.
>> The life-enhancing effect of an early GDSM depends on the value of "G".
>I can say with 99.99931415926535897932% accuracy that the G = Gray,
>since people rarely wish for Green Dragon Scale Mail. And if they did,
>they would have poison resistance and wouldn't have died on poisoned
>spikes.

That is my point. I wish for Green DSM, because it is utterly aggravating
to get an early wish and then keep going without poison-resistance, just
to be killed by a poisoned dart a short while after, as the bones
character found out. And yes, I know that this is not the opinion of
rgrn's majority.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de