Wishing hints for A?

Spoilers may lie ahead - read at your own risk!

So, after ascending a Valkyrie, I did many experiments with different
kinds of characters - Wizards, Priests, Monks, Tourists - but without
success. A while ago I started trying to play archeologists, much
because of the possibility to sell gems early for lots of money to donate.

This character had a pretty lucky start. He found a +2 oilskin cloak
lying around in DLVL 2 and a magic lamp in minetown, although his pet
died very early. Minetown temple was also co-aligned. I sacfested until
I got what I wanted - a silver saber named Grayswandir. A large scroll
shop was found in DLVL 5 which yielded some echant weapon and armor
scrolls, a spellbook of identify (I can cast it now with 4% failure!),
and maybe the most important thing, a scroll of genocide (you will find
the reason for this below). I spent the magic lamp on a gray dragon
scale mail (maybe silver would have been a better choice!).

So, after doing Sokoban for the BoH, I started going down. Right below
the rogue level was a hearse bones file, and there I met an
arch-lich(!!). I decided to try how hard those are, but it was able to
heal faster than I did damage with my (at that moment +0) Grayswandir.
After a couple of cursed items i decided to engrave Elbereth at the
stairs with a wand of digging. That didn't help either, the purple L
kept summoning annoying monsters such as umber hulks and a minotaur who
did not care about the engraving. At this part I fled and identified all
scrolls in the scroll store and found the scroll of genocide, which I
promptly blessed and used to get rid of Ls.

Medusa had a peaceful titan. I still lacked any forms of levitation
(excluding some potions of levitation), so I decided to dig down. But
before doing that, I used a magic trap to tame the titan (he's still a
pet of mine). I found a pair of levitation boots somewhere, and 2
shields of reflection. Castle wasn't too hard with +6 Grayswandir at
expert. I also found a silver saber and boots of speed there. The wand
was just at 0:1, and I used the first wish for a blessed magic marker. I
had a ?ofCharging at my base, so I went back there. I used the 3 wishes
for 2 more magic markers and gauntlets of dexterity.

The quest was a piece of cake with AC -34 (-41 with [oReflecction) - in
the quest nemesis level I tried to teleport somewhere, and ended right
next to my meditating quest nemesis! Two hits from Grayswandir were
enough. I returned later to grab all the loots, and I found yet another
magic lamp!

At one moment I was at my stash, and found an unidentified potion -
identified it as a potion of polymorph! I decided to try dipping a spare
unicorn horn for the small chance of something good - and I got a magic
marker at 1:63! :)

So this is where I am now. I have two wishes, but no idea what I should
use them to - maybe I will save one for an emergency.

My inventory right now:

Amulets
q - an uncursed amulet of life saving (being worn)
s - an uncursed amulet of reflection
Weapons
a - the blessed +7 Grayswandir (weapon in hand)
n - a +7 silver saber (alternate weapon; not wielded)
Armor
c - a blessed +5 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)
f - a blessed +5 elven leather helm (being worn)
p - a blessed fireproof +5 oilskin cloak (being worn)
x - a blessed fireproof +5 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being worn)
y - a blessed +5 shield of reflection
L - a blessed fireproof +4 T-shirt (being worn)
R - a blessed +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
Tools
g - the Bell of Opening (0:3)
h - a blessed bag of holding
i - the blessed Orb of Detection (0:5)
O - a magic marker (1:63)
Q - a magic harp (0:4)
S - a blessed magic marker (1:6)
U - a blessed magic marker (1:7)
W - a blessed magic lamp
Y - a blessed magic marker (0:28)
U - a wand of wishing (1:0)

Thanks for reading this far!

Eero Heikkinen wrote:

> Spoilers may lie ahead - read at your own risk!

In this newsgroup, spoiler warnings aren't necessary. Every message is
supposed to be possibly carrying spoilers.

> a spellbook of identify (I can cast it now with 4% failure!),

Not surprising. Archaeologists are among the better spellcasting
classes.

> So, after doing Sokoban for the BoH, I started going down. Right below
> the rogue level was a hearse bones file, and there I met an
> arch-lich(!!).

My now-deceased latest character on nethack.alt.org met a mind flayer on
the first level of the mines. The moment he got the message that hinted
to it, he started retreating to the stairs, but a dwarf with a cursed
scroll of create monsters effectively blocked that...

> But before doing that, I used a magic trap to tame the titan (he's
> still a pet of mine).

Nice.

> The quest was a piece of cake with AC -34 (-41 with [oReflecction) -
> in the quest nemesis level I tried to teleport somewhere, and ended
> right next to my meditating quest nemesis!

Didn't you have telepathy or teleport control yet? If so, you shouldn't
have been surprised that you ended up there...

> So this is where I am now. I have two wishes, but no idea what I
> should use them to - maybe I will save one for an emergency.

Why not save both? As I read it, there are no pressing needs to wish for
something right now.

> Amulets
> q - an uncursed amulet of life saving (being worn)
> s - an uncursed amulet of reflection

Why carry the amulet of reflection (in your main inventory)? You have a
silver shield, I noticed.

> Armor
> f - a blessed +5 elven leather helm (being worn)

Why not enchant this for two more points?

> Tools
> O - a magic marker (1:63)
> S - a blessed magic marker (1:6)
> U - a blessed magic marker (1:7)
> Y - a blessed magic marker (0:28)

Why not put them in your bag, to prevent accidental cursing?

> W - a blessed magic lamp

This one should always be (lit)!

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> My now-deceased latest character on nethack.alt.org met a mind flayer on
> the first level of the mines. The moment he got the message that hinted
> to it, he started retreating to the stairs, but a dwarf with a cursed
> scroll of create monsters effectively blocked that...

That's sad. Better luck next time!

>>But before doing that, I used a magic trap to tame the titan (he's
>>still a pet of mine).
>
> Nice.

Thank you!

> Didn't you have telepathy or teleport control yet? If so, you shouldn't
> have been surprised that you ended up there...

I had teleport control and telepathy, but I got the "Sorry!" message for
some reason...

> Why not save both? As I read it, there are no pressing needs to wish for
> something right now.

That's what I was going to do, but I decided to ask here if I had missed
something important.

> Why carry the amulet of reflection (in your main inventory)? You have a
> silver shield, I noticed.

That's where I have a problem - I have a gray dragon scale mail, so I
must get reflection from either the amulet or the shield. But amulet
slot is used for life saving, a shield hinders spellcasting and I would
want to try twoweaponing with this character. I guess I will use the
amulet slot for reflection, but I need to be a bit more careful to
prevent a stupid death...

>>Armor
>>f - a blessed +5 elven leather helm (being worn)
>

> Why not enchant this for two more points?

I didn't know elven armor could be enchanted safely further than that -
I enchanted it to +7 now as you suggested.

>>Tools
>>O - a magic marker (1:63)
>>S - a blessed magic marker (1:6)
>>U - a blessed magic marker (1:7)
>>Y - a blessed magic marker (0:28)
>

> Why not put them in your bag, to prevent accidental cursing?

I usually keep them in my bag, but I was at my stash writing scrolls
etc, so I had them in my main inventory.

>>W - a blessed magic lamp
>

> This one should always be (lit)!

I just found this, and forgot to light it :)

Also, I forgot to mention: a mountain centaur also dropped a magic lamp
at some part of the game. So I've found a total of 3 magic lamps so far!

Eero Heikkinen wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>> Didn't you have telepathy or teleport control yet? If so, you
>> shouldn't have been surprised that you ended up there...

> I had teleport control and telepathy, but I got the "Sorry!" message
> for some reason...

You get that message when you attempt to teleport to a spot where there
is rock or a wall or a trap.

I'm not sure why you cannot teleport onto a trap, by the way.

>> Why not save both? As I read it, there are no pressing needs to wish
>> for something right now.

> That's what I was going to do, but I decided to ask here if I had
> missed something important.

You mentioned that you intended to save *one* wish, so I assumed you
wanted to use the penultimate.

>>> Armor
>>> f - a blessed +5 elven leather helm (being worn)

>> Why not enchant this for two more points?

> I didn't know elven armor could be enchanted safely further than that
> - I enchanted it to +7 now as you suggested.

*All* elven armour may be safely enchanted while it is still at +5 or
less. This includes mithril, shields, etc. Note that this makes elven
mithril better than dwarven mithril, in the long run. +7 elven is one
point better than +5 dwarven.

Alternatively, you could use your penultimate wish for a helmet of
telepathy or brilliance, but note that these can only be enchanted to
+5, not +7. I like elven helmets myself, as well.

>>> W - a blessed magic lamp
>> This one should always be (lit)!
> I just found this, and forgot to light it :)

Don't you lie to me, young man! :)

You said:

>>> I returned later to grab all the loots, and I found yet another
>>> magic lamp!

>>> At one moment I was at my stash, and found an unidentified potion -
>>> identified it as a potion of polymorph! I decided to try dipping a
>>> spare unicorn horn for the small chance of something good - and I
>>> got a magic marker at 1:63! :)

>>> So this is where I am now.

So you didn't "just" find that lamp: you found that magic lamp quite a
while ago... :)

> Also, I forgot to mention: a mountain centaur also dropped a magic
> lamp at some part of the game. So I've found a total of 3 magic lamps
> so far!

Lucky you!

--

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Don't you lie to me, young man! :)
>
> You said:
>

>>I returned later to grab all the loots, and I found yet another
>>magic lamp!
>

>>At one moment I was at my stash, and found an unidentified potion -
>>identified it as a potion of polymorph! I decided to try dipping a
>>spare unicorn horn for the small chance of something good - and I
>>got a magic marker at 1:63! :)
>

>>So this is where I am now.
>

> So you didn't "just" find that lamp: you found that magic lamp quite a
> while ago... :)

I was a bit (a lot) unclear by saying "at one moment"; I just had
returned from the quest (collected all the goodies lying around, when I
went there for the first time I mostly ignored all the objects and
concernated on getting the artifact) and was thinking what to do with
the "spare" wish. Sorry for the hassle :)

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>You mentioned that you intended to save *one* wish, so I assumed you
>wanted to use the penultimate.

True. But after a bit of thinking I understood I don't *need* anything
else: I've got magic markers, all the weapons and armors I want (well, a
helm of brilliance wouldn't hurt, but who cares) enchanted to almost the
maximum.

I think I'll save the wishes just incase I will run into trouble later,
as you adviced.

(btw: sorry if the quoting looks like a mess)

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> *All* elven armour may be safely enchanted while it is still at +5 or
> less. This includes mithril, shields, etc. Note that this makes elven
> mithril better than dwarven mithril, in the long run. +7 elven is one
> point better than +5 dwarven.
>
> Alternatively, you could use your penultimate wish for a helmet of
> telepathy or brilliance, but note that these can only be enchanted to
> +5, not +7. I like elven helmets myself, as well.

You forgot to mention cornuthaums for wizards, which can also be
enchanted to +7

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
> Eero Heikkinen wrote:

> > I had teleport control and telepathy, but I got the "Sorry!" message
> > for some reason...

> You get that message when you attempt to teleport to a spot where there
> is rock or a wall or a trap.

...or a monster.

--
Jukka Lahtinen