Using external vs internal on 7500?

Hello...

Have an Inspiron 7500 in which the hard drive has gone bad.... I was
thinking of rather than spend the over 200 bucks on a new internal hard
instead replacing it with an 80GB external/USB which can be much cheaper.

Is there any reason this woudl not work, beside the fact it will of course
be less mobil?

Thank you....

Why would an internal hard drive cost MORE than an external one? Yes, the
external drive is undoubtedly a 3.5" form factor, less expensive than your usual
2.5" notebook drive. But you are also paying for the USB external case, which
offsets in part the cost difference between different sizes of drives. I would
suggest looking again at prices for 2.5" drives. Especially after reading the
following, you may decide to make do with a 2.5" drive of lesser capacity.

There are several potential issues with using only an external USB drive.
First, does your notebook computer support booting up from an external USB
drive? Check to see if the BIOS supports this. Next, can you restore or
install the Windows (or do you run Linux?) operating system using an external
USB drive? The answer to this, I leave to people who've tried and either
suceeded or failed in the attempt... Ben Myers

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:56:18 GMT, "Stan Rudnick" <stan@andrewslucia.com> wrote:

>Hello...
>
>Have an Inspiron 7500 in which the hard drive has gone bad.... I was
>thinking of rather than spend the over 200 bucks on a new internal hard
>instead replacing it with an 80GB external/USB which can be much cheaper.
>
>Is there any reason this woudl not work, beside the fact it will of course
>be less mobil?
>
>Thank you....

BigJim

you could have problems booting not sure if you can set the bios to boot
from USB.
If you can't then you will have to hit the f12 key to boot one time and
everytime after that.
Good LUck