Solved

Suggestions on this Gaming Laptop?

Trying to pick a Laptop for my wife. I got it down to the 2 below. Getting 2yr warranties with both. I want it to run facebook games, movies (not HD ones) and Play WOW on ULTRA settings. She does some WebPage design and thats about it.
What i saw.

i7 has a 3xx series video card
i5 has a 4xx series video card & is about $200 cheaper.

Anythoughts would be great guys! Thanks

OPTION 1 $1087
Recertified: TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q887 Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz) 18.4" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M NoteBook

* Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73...
* 4GB Memory 500GB HDD
* NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M

* Part#: PQX33U-02T01RB
* Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* Optical Drive Type: BD Combo
* Chipset: Intel PM55
* Model #: X505-Q887
* Item #: N82E16834214084
* Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

OPTION 2 $899
Recertified: TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q893B Intel Core i5 460M(2.53GHz) 18.4" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M NoteBook

* Intel Core i5-460M 2.53G...
* 4GB Memory 500GB HDD
* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M

* Part#: PQX33U-060025B
* Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* Optical Drive Type: DVD Super Multi
* Chipset: Intel PM55
* Model #: X505-Q893B
* Item #: N82E16834214257
* Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about suggestions gaming laptop
  1. What was the LCD screen resolution on those two choices?

    I'm not a fan of Recert/Refurb laptops. Who is selling those and what are the return/restock policies?
  2. WR2 said:
    What was the LCD screen resolution on those two choices?

    I'm not a fan of Recert/Refurb laptops. Who is selling those and what are the return/restock policies?


    Resolutions is 1680 x 945 18.4" screen on both.

    Side notes
    GTX460m ranks #20
    GTS360m Ranks #43
    Per this website i was referencing.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

    Newegg is selling it,

    Because they are a Recert i'm investing into the 2yr warranty plan below: covers mechanical failures, they pay shipping, 24/7 support. Only downside is I have to ship it off to get fixed which is pretty normal if you dont buy local.

    Service Net Notebook Extended Warranty Plan

    All notebooks are serviced at an authorized repair facility and a box will be shipped to your home with instructions. Shipping charges are covered under the plan.

    * Mechanical failures are covered after manufacturer’s warranty expires.
    * All notebooks are serviced at an authorized repair facility.
    * Packaging material will be shipped to you
    * Shipping charges are covered under the plan.
    * “No lemon” Policy – Your product will be replaced if a 4th repair is required on the same component.
    * Customer Support is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year.
    * The Contract is fully transferable.
    * Coverage is provided by Service Net.
    * See Terms & Conditions for additional details of this plan
  3. MSI GX660-260US @ $1100
    Intel Core i5 460M(2.53GHz) 15.6" 1366x768 LCD w/ Mobility Radeon HD 5870, 4GB RAM 500GB HDD 7200rpm
  4. Are you sure a Recert qualifies for that?
  5. Look over the choices @ XoticPC
  6. WR2 said:
    Are you sure a Recert qualifies for that?



    It does, it ask me during checkout and i clicked the more info and it took me to that page. I'm pretty sure it's covered. I'll check out these other links thanks for the tip.

    This here doens't look bad
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214045R

    for almost half the Price of that MSI one. Slightly older vid card, but

    Toshiba Quad coor 56xx Radeon 1gb dedicated memory under $700. $240 off normal price.
  7. Best answer
    Phenom II Quad-Core P940(1.7GHz) is a pretty slow CPU and we know StarCraft likes the faster cores.

    Passmark CPU benchmark scores:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

    AMD Phenom II P940 Quad-Core = 2199
    Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz = 2596

    And a big step down in graphic card.
    http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4589/ss101.jpg
  8. Acer Aspire AS5742G-6600 $730
    Core i5 480M(2.66GHz) 15.6"1366x768 LCD w/ GeForce GT 540M, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
  9. WR2 said:
    Acer Aspire AS5742G-6600 $730
    Core i5 480M(2.66GHz) 15.6"1366x768 LCD w/ GeForce GT 540M, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD



    That looks pretty sweet, and a bit lower on price then what i was looking at.

    What is bench test based off of?

    Correct me if i'm wrong please!

    i5 480 model is still a dual core? While the processor is faster it is only 2 running vs a slower processor that has 4 running.

    Wouldn't the quad core be much more efficient for multitasking? Does the bench test model test multitasking?
    I know wow supports multi processing, and i would think many newer applications due too.

    I know she likes to have music running, playing wow, and usually have a website up. Don't expect her to play any games stronger then wow as once we quit playing wow i doubt she would play another one.

    Never bought a Acer before. Any thoughts? i've always been a toshiba/gateway person when it came to laptops.
  10. If you're looking for WOW on ultra settings than the only one that will handle that comfortably is the GTX 460M out of all the computers you are looking at. While that one posters suggestion of the ATI 5870 rig would handle it as well.

    I just bough an ASUS G73JH-RBBX05 recertified from Newegg. I was able to talk them down to $870 from the $909 price they had because they sold them from Oct-Dec 2010 for $870. The price now is $919 on the newegg site.

    It blows WOW out of the water. Word of warning though, after purchase you'd have to update the Bios and vBios manually. Actually really easy, just need a USB flash drive stick and WinRar program for unzipping files. If the ASUS is out of stock it's usually on page four of the recertified listings.

    If you do go recertified, go to notebookreview.com to check out all the info on your model. Odds are the reason why recertifieds are available is usually because of some sort of driver conflict that causes a lot of unecessary returns that could have easily been fixed with a software upgrade. With recertifieds you'll want to hunt down specific forum information about acceptable heat levels and any other problems associated with the model. Because the game will work the videocard and bad heat pasting jobs are the other reason for returns.

    You'll probably want to download:
    HWiNFO32 and use the "Sensor" tab to monitor heat
    Unigine Heaven Benchmark to stress test your graphics card which will in turn heat it up to check any repasting done during the recert and if it was done properly.

    It sounds like a lot of work but it's only 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there. Only other recommendation. Wait to do stress tests and such until after the computer is down downloading other updates. Once you link to the net it'll probably go hog wild with auto-updates.
  11. Fadekyn said:
    If you're looking for WOW on ultra settings than the only one that will handle that comfortably is the GTX 460M out of all the computers you are looking at. While that one posters suggestion of the ATI 5870 rig would handle it as well.

    I just bough an ASUS G73JH-RBBX05 recertified from Newegg. I was able to talk them down to $870 from the $909 price they had because they sold them from Oct-Dec 2010 for $870. The price now is $919 on the newegg site.

    It blows WOW out of the water. Word of warning though, after purchase you'd have to update the Bios and vBios manually. Actually really easy, just need a USB flash drive stick and WinRar program for unzipping files. If the ASUS is out of stock it's usually on page four of the recertified listings.

    If you do go recertified, go to notebookreview.com to check out all the info on your model. Odds are the reason why recertifieds are available is usually because of some sort of driver conflict that causes a lot of unecessary returns that could have easily been fixed with a software upgrade. With recertifieds you'll want to hunt down specific forum information about acceptable heat levels and any other problems associated with the model. Because the game will work the videocard and bad heat pasting jobs are the other reason for returns.

    You'll probably want to download:
    HWiNFO32 and use the "Sensor" tab to monitor heat
    Unigine Heaven Benchmark to stress test your graphics card which will in turn heat it up to check any repasting done during the recert and if it was done properly.

    It sounds like a lot of work but it's only 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there. Only other recommendation. Wait to do stress tests and such until after the computer is down downloading other updates. Once you link to the net it'll probably go hog wild with auto-updates.

    I just bought one too, actually I got it in December from BestBuy for 850.
    I'M NOT LYING TO YOU. I WOULD NOT TRADE THIS THING FOR ANOTHER LAPTOP. THIS LAPTOP IS WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD.
  12. Yeah, the only two problems I have with it happen to be with the placement of the microphone/headset vga jacks and the touchpad not having an off switch.

    I haven't downloaded that little program that freezes the touchpad while you type. (easy fix) The mic/headphone jack placement is a pain due to the way I play games, my wrist usually rests off to that side, so I have to consciously place my wrist differently so I don't put undue presser on the plugs sticking out.
  13. Fadekyn said:
    Yeah, the only two problems I have with it happen to be with the placement of the microphone/headset vga jacks and the touchpad not having an off switch.

    I haven't downloaded that little program that freezes the touchpad while you type. (easy fix) The mic/headphone jack placement is a pain due to the way I play games, my wrist usually rests off to that side, so I have to consciously place my wrist differently so I don't put undue presser on the plugs sticking out.


    For me, to disable the touchpad on the ASUS G73JH, hold your finer on Fn and press on F9.
    it will disable it.
  14. GTX460m to run wow? that seems kind of harsh. i know its on a desktop but my gtx 275 runs it well enough... Seems like i'll go with the Asus you have or the one recommended.

    What about the processor? the wife has a dual core now, but it's a amd dual core. will the i5 hold up? or should i look for a triple/quad through amd?

    Thinking of this one right now
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6891953&csid=ITD&body=REVIEWS#tabs
  15. hpfreak said:
    I'M NOT LYING TO YOU. I WOULD NOT TRADE THIS THING FOR ANOTHER LAPTOP. THIS LAPTOP IS WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD.
    I think you are. You paid $850.
    It's weight in gold would be about (7.5 pounds = 109.37500 troy ounces x $1400) $152,600.
  16. I couldn't find any reviews on the ASUS K52JT-XT1
    But here are some reviews on the K52 laptop family: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-K52-Series.26606.0.html

    And AMD Radeon HD 6370M review
    Based on how other similar cards perform you can expect WoW would run OK @ Medium graphics
  17. Best answer selected by c911darkwolf.
  18. Thanks WR2 we went with a ASUS and are very happy for it
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Product