Confused about 3d gaming

So I plan on purchasing this monitor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222 for gaming at 120 fps. 3d gaming isn't a priority, but I'm wondering how it works. I have a radeon hd 7970 and as far as I know this monitor does not support HD3D, but I had a friend tell me that it wouldn't be a problem because I could use tridef instead, but I can't seem to find any info on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about confused gaming
  1. If you look at the specs it says it is "3D ready", which means you need additional software and hardware to enable 3D.

    TriDef 3D is software that takes a 2D game or movie and emulates a 3D experience. It is not the same as real 3D, anymore than watching an old movie in stereo and emulating surround sound is the same as a new movie in 5.1 Dolby.
  2. PhilFrisbie said:
    If you look at the specs it says it is "3D ready", which means you need additional software and hardware to enable 3D.

    TriDef 3D is software that takes a 2D game or movie and emulates a 3D experience. It is not the same as real 3D, anymore than watching an old movie in stereo and emulating surround sound is the same as a new movie in 5.1 Dolby.


    This is not true at all. Tridef is software to run HD3D or 3D Vision monitors in real 3D. I've used the software as well as Nvidia 3D Vision software with the same hardware, and it works.

    As far as the OP's question goes, that monitor is a 3D Vision monitor. Most will not support AMD cards and the ones that due, only support it through HDMI, which would be limited to 720p.

    The price of that monitor may be worth skipping 3D, otherwise you probably will want to look at Samsung's line up. They appear to be the only manufacturer that is supporting AMD HD3D with the active shutter system. Besides Samsung, all other HD3D systems seem to be Passive or limited to 720p.

    Edit: If you had a friend with a 670 or 680, you might see about trading them to try it out, or just make sure to buy Nvidia on your next GPU purchase. I find 3D to be pretty awesome, but not everyone agrees, though most who don't never tried 3D Vision.
  3. bystander said:
    This is not true at all. Tridef is software to run HD3D or 3D Vision monitors in real 3D. I've used the software as well as Nvidia 3D Vision software with the same hardware, and it works.

    As far as the OP's question goes, that monitor is a 3D Vision monitor. Most will not support AMD cards and the ones that due, only support it through HDMI, which would be limited to 720p.

    The price of that monitor may be worth skipping 3D, otherwise you probably will want to look at Samsung's line up. They appear to be the only manufacturer that is supporting AMD HD3D with the active shutter system. Besides Samsung, all other HD3D systems seem to be Passive or limited to 720p.

    Edit: If you had a friend with a 670 or 680, you might see about trading them to try it out, or just make sure to buy Nvidia on your next GPU purchase. I find 3D to be pretty awesome, but not everyone agrees, though most who don't never tried 3D Vision.

    Oh alright, not to worry. I knew well that 3d gaming was not going to be readily available upon purchasing my 7970, I just thought it would be worth a shot for the experience. I am buying the monitor solely for the 120hz functionality that I deem very useful in competitive first person shooters.
  4. There is a chance it will work with HDMI. It doesn't specify what type of HDMI connection it has. If it is HDMI 1.4a, there is a good chance you can at least try it at 720p, which is still pretty cool.
  5. bystander said:
    There is a chance it will work with HDMI. It doesn't specify what type of HDMI connection it has. If it is HDMI 1.4a, there is a good chance you can at least try it at 720p, which is still pretty cool.

    Now I don't know a ton about monitor quality, but would this one also be worth considering? It's the only other 120hz monitor I have found for less than $300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260068
  6. That monitor uses DVI-D. It doesn't specify if it's 3D Vision or HD3D, so I really don't know if it would support 3D on AMD.

    With a google search, I learned it is 3D Vision ready, which means it's not much different than the previous monitor you were looking at, and it's a refurbished monitor at a higher cost. I'd probably pass on it. The review I saw noticed poor response time and input lag as well.
Ask a new question

Read More

Flat Panel Monitors Gaming Monitors 3D Peripherals Product