DEL 8400 without Raid

Hi,

I am wondering to buy a Dell Dimension 8400 with two harddrives.

But Dell offers the PC just together with a Raid-Controller.

Does anyone know if I can uninstall the PCI-Raid-Controller and just connect
the two drives with a Serial-ATA cable. Because I want the workstation with
two seperated drives.

Thanks!

Sure. The raid controller is integrated and controllable via the BIOS. I
have an 8400 and do not have a raid.

"Tom Reinold" <treinold@smail.uni-koeln.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering to buy a Dell Dimension 8400 with two harddrives.
>
> But Dell offers the PC just together with a Raid-Controller.
>
> Does anyone know if I can uninstall the PCI-Raid-Controller and just
> connect
> the two drives with a Serial-ATA cable. Because I want the workstation
> with
> two seperated drives.
>
> Thanks!

How about buying the computer with one hard disk and then adding another one
on your own?
--
Ted Zieglar

"Tom Reinold" <treinold@smail.uni-koeln.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering to buy a Dell Dimension 8400 with two harddrives.
>
> But Dell offers the PC just together with a Raid-Controller.
>
> Does anyone know if I can uninstall the PCI-Raid-Controller and just
connect
> the two drives with a Serial-ATA cable. Because I want the workstation
with
> two seperated drives.
>
> Thanks!

I like your solution better than the one I offered.
--
Ted Zieglar

> Sure. The raid controller is integrated and controllable via the BIOS. I
> have an 8400 and do not have a raid.
>
> "Tom Reinold" <treinold@smail.uni-koeln.de> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am wondering to buy a Dell Dimension 8400 with two harddrives.
> >
> > But Dell offers the PC just together with a Raid-Controller.
> >
> > Does anyone know if I can uninstall the PCI-Raid-Controller and just
> > connect
> > the two drives with a Serial-ATA cable. Because I want the workstation
> > with
> > two seperated drives.
> >
> > Thanks!

That means I can "switch off" the Raid controller via the BIOS and just use
the two harddrives separated? No Raid 0 or Raid 1 or whatever.

Just as if I had bought two let's say 160GB drives?

Tom

Tom Reinold wrote:

> That means I can "switch off" the Raid controller via the BIOS and just use
> the two harddrives separated? No Raid 0 or Raid 1 or whatever.
>
> Just as if I had bought two let's say 160GB drives?

Why would you even *purchase* a RAID controller, if you're gonna
turn it off?

Why not just purchase a "second hard drive?"

Notan

Good point!

But the system offered just has the option taking a Raid controller when
taking two harddrives.

tom

Tom Reinold wrote:

> Good point!
>
> But the system offered just has the option taking a Raid controller when
> taking two harddrives.

You're absolutely right! Who'da thunkit!

In looking at prices, it appears that the cost of two drives,
with a controller, and two drives, without a controller, is
probably pretty similar.

I guess the solution of turning off the controller is your
best bet... If you ever decide to use a RAID configuration,
it's right there.

Notan

yes