Core Voltage Problem

G

Hi People!

I am frustrated. I spent my last money on a pair of Intel P3-733 CPUs (boxed with heat sink and fan) and a pair of FC-PGA_to_Slot1 converter cards. I got a used MS-6120 dual Slot1 Mainboard and some cheap SCSI-discs and was happily plugging together what should become my cool linux dual-CPU Server ... the ones more knowledgeable among you will see it coming: The darn board does not support the 1.65V needed for the modern coppermine CPUs.
My question: Is there any way to avoid spending $$ for a newer Mainboard? I got no more $$ and I really want that machine running (btw. it runs fine with 100MhZ FSB at 550Mhz CPU freq. but I dare not have it run that way since I learned that that voltage problem would shorten the lifespan of my CPUs dramatically.
Please help! My hope is that there are FC-PGA_to_Slot1 converter cards out there somewhere who also convert the voltage ...

Thanks for any hints!
Loderunner

G

I think these are called slotkets. have a look here:
http://208.55.249.79/PL-iP3/index.html
or www.powerleap.com

Im sure there are better/other solutions out there, but since im into amd i wouldnt know.. also.. kind of typical that a straightforward question is being asked, and no one responds.. Next time, choose 'amd vs intel' as your topic.. you'll have more reactions..

gargie

G

Hi,
I have a coppermine 550E running on an Abit BX6 2.0 with pc 133 ram O/C to 710. I lowered my voltage this week to 1.60 not the default 1.65. I did this as an experiment to see if it would cool down the chip and make it more stable. No problems so far. Could you try 1.60 volts?

Zoom