My third ascension and it only took 4 days!
Guess it's true that once you've done it once you can easily do it again :)

Full dump at: https://scavenger.homeip.net/~blindcoder/ascension_bar.txt
ttyrec at: https://scavenger.homeip.net/~blindcoder/ascension_bar/

Anyway, the game started quite nicely when a fountain I accidentally quaffed
from gave me see invisible on Dlvl 1. No, I was not playing fountain gambit, it
really was an accident!
Anyway, I got hold of a smoky potion which was ID'ed as being blessed on a
recently converted altar on Dlvl 5 which also became my stash level.
Quaffed the potion, got my wish :D and got +3 SDSM.
Sokoban got me the amulet and after that I went into the mines.
There I found a total of three grey stones which could have been luckstones.
One of the crypts (crypt mines end) was dug open by a dwarf and the rest didn't
hold any grey stones. The other two were found above mines end. So I #named them
notload, alsonotload and luck respectively.
Turned out that luck was a touchstone and notload the luckstone. Damn, I've been
carrying a touchstone around with me for ages :(
Anyway, potions were quite rare and the two gardens I stumbled upon only yielded
three potions of object detection to dilute (I was playing locally with the
garden patch among a few others). Blessed the touchstone, a bunch of ID scrolls
and ran through three of them until I had my mass ID. Blessed the luckstone and
journeyed on.
A few wands and scrolls of create monster got me crowned for Stormy which was
promptly enchanted to +7. A lietenant (or captain?) shortly before Medusa was
glad to donate a silver sabre to make #twoweaponing complete.
Medusa was guarded by the Titan who went down easily. Did I mention that apart
from the Heart I got no source of levitation all game? So I put on my boots of
waterwalking and crossed the water, showed Medusa the newest SDSM wear from
Milano (which made her turn into a statue) and descended downwards.
Another two levels of Dungeon and there was the Castle.
Did I mention the total lack of useful levitation? So I went back up to my
stash, got a scroll of Earth and wand of striking and took over the castle.
Wand was only at (0:2) but luckily I already had a scroll of charging.
Down to Gehennom I went.
Early in there I got another wand of wishing (0:2) which proved to be absolutely
necessary later on.
Got myself a pet horse at a level with a polytrap and started whistling it over
to get myself a decent pet. Once it became a master lich it decided that
polymorphing it no fun and I could do whatever I wanted but it just wouldn't
polymorph anymore. I decided to give it a shot. Next level was Orcus.
The master lich pet only did a lame frost attach and as such I soon killed it
off because it was too annoying.
Orcus wasted two charges on his wand of death before I could take him out.
Waltzed through Gehennom until I found the vibrating square and got mindflayed a
few times in the process.
Took care of Rodney with Orcus' wand and did the invocation.
Knowing that I had a cursed potion of gain level I shoved my way to the Sanctum
ignoring priests left and team a right.
Found the entrance, found my wand of death empty and killed the high priest,
took the amulet and "gained a level."

Now, the ascension run was quite... interesting. I got an Athame earlier from
one of the Lichs I killed which was my ticket for Elbereth. Too bad it got
cursed somewhen and I didn't notice because I didn't buc-ID it. As such I was
shocked when I saw the message "Your athame is getting dull." when writing
Elbereth while surrounded by two mind flayers!
With Int down to 3 (i.w.: three) and most of the levels forgotten (all but one,
really) the ascension run got really interesting. Good thing I dug out those paths.
Ran back up as fast as I could with the amulet in my pocket and an "oLS around
my neck.
Good thing I still had those potions of confusion and scrolls of gold detection.

Used the first set on Earth which showed the portal in the lower left corner.
Three wands of digging later I was on Air.
There I #invoked the Heart of Ahriman for levitation and used the second set,
showing the portal in the usual upper right corner.
On Fire, things got rough. The third set showed the portal in the upper left
corner and I headed for it immediately.
Too bad an Archon started a summoning storm which held me at 5 tiles from the
portal. Two (all) potions of full healing, two amulets of lifesaving and two
wishes (one for a blindfold to not get stunned by the archons, one for a
cockatrice corpse) later I was able to stone my way through leaving only statues
in my wake.
On water the last set was used and I waited patiently for the portal to float by
and jumped it, leaving a good two or three doven statues behind again.
On Astral I went - as usual - for the left altar first.
Famine said "Hi" and Stormy (I "lost" the silver sabre somewhere) said "Bye."
Whacked my way onward with the rubber chicken and found to my astonishment that
I got the altar right on the first try again for the third time in a row!

blindcoder, chaotic male human Barbarian

----
...|
---------..-- ----
@|...@...|....---
@|...@.AA-A@`A``
---------..-- ---*---
a ...| | -------
---- | ` |
------- -
| `
---

Blindcoder the Raider St:25 Dx:18 Co:17 In:7 Wi:15 Ch:9 Chaotic S:2030943
Astral Plane $:0 HP:171(355) Pw:48(48) AC:-27 Xp:17/757773 T:53324

Your inventory
Weapons
a - the invisible blessed rustproof +7 Stormbringer (alternate weapon; not
wielded)
Armor
A - an uncursed fireproof +3 cloak of magic resistance (being worn)
f - an invisible blessed rustproof +4 helm of telepathy (being worn)
y - an invisible cursed rustproof +5 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
d - an invisible uncursed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots
E - an uncursed fireproof +0 pair of water walking boots (being worn)
D - an invisible uncursed +4 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
Comestibles
K - an uncursed cockatrice corpse (weapon in hand)
P - an invisible cursed lizard corpse named Lissy
G - an invisible cursed sprig of wolfsbane
Scrolls
m - a cursed scroll of charging
Spellbooks
B - the cursed Book of the Dead
Rings
l - an uncursed ring of free action (on left hand)
R - a cursed ring of slow digestion (on right hand)
Wands
h - an invisible cursed wand of death (0:0)
g - a wand of digging (0:4)
H - an invisible cursed wand of fire (0:2)
N - an invisible cursed rusty wand of wishing (1:0)
z - a cursed very rusty wand of wishing (1:0)
Tools
b - an invisible blessed bag of holding
r - the invisible cursed Bell of Opening (0:2)
J - a blessed blindfold
C - the uncursed Candelabrum of Invocation (7 candles attached)
k - an invisible cursed lock pick
I - a cursed magic lamp (lit)
O - an invisible magic marker (0:41)
Y - a +0 unicorn horn
u - an invisible +0 unicorn horn
Gems
S - the invisible uncursed Heart of Ahriman
s - an invisible blessed luckstone

Contents of the bag of holding:
57367 gold pieces
a blessed amulet of reflection
an uncursed amulet of reflection
an uncursed amulet of reflection
an uncursed amulet of ESP
an uncursed amulet of ESP
an uncursed amulet of ESP
an uncursed amulet versus poison
a cursed amulet of change
a cursed amulet of strangulation
an uncursed amulet of strangulation
a cursed amulet of strangulation
a cursed amulet of strangulation
a cursed amulet of restful sleep
an invisible uncursed amulet of magical breathing # some jewelry for points
an invisible cursed rusty -3 athame
the rustproof +0 Cleaver
the blessed fireproof +0 Orcrist
27 uncursed C-rations # overpreparation as always
a blessed scroll of charging
an uncursed scroll of create monster
a blessed scroll of blank paper
24 uncursed scrolls of blank paper
an uncursed potion of water
an uncursed +1 ring of adornment
an uncursed +1 ring of increase damage
an invisible cursed -1 ring of gain strength
an invisible uncursed ring of searching
a wand of digging (0:3)
an invisible cursed wand of digging (0:3)
an invisible wand of digging (0:3)
an invisible wand of digging (0:3)
a wand of digging (0:7)
a wand of digging (0:4)
a cursed wand of digging (0:3)
a wand of digging (0:5)
a wand of digging (0:2)
a cursed wand of fire (0:3)
a wand of make invisible (0:5)
a wand of speed monster (0:5)
a +0 pick-axe
an invisible uncursed magic whistle
an uncursed amber stone
2 uncursed aquamarine stones
8 uncursed jet stones
6 uncursed black opals
3 uncursed jet stones
3 uncursed obsidian stones
10 uncursed worthless pieces of blue glass
an uncursed citrine stone
2 uncursed citrine stones
an uncursed emerald
7 uncursed fluorite stones
an uncursed touchstone
an uncursed jade stone
2 uncursed jade stones
a blessed luckstone
3 uncursed agate stones
5 uncursed worthless pieces of orange glass
8 uncursed rubies
an uncursed jasper stone
3 uncursed garnet stones
8 uncursed sapphires
an uncursed turquoise stone
4 uncursed turquoise stones
6 uncursed amethyst stones
4 uncursed diamonds
3 uncursed dilithium crystals
an uncursed dilithium crystal
7 uncursed chrysoberyl stones
4 uncursed chrysoberyl stones # some more jewelery

Final attributes
You were the Glory of Arioch
You were piously aligned
Your alignment was 276
You were fire resistant
You were cold resistant
You were sleep resistant
You were disintegration-resistant
You were shock resistant
You were poison resistant
You were magic-protected
You saw invisible
You were telepathic
You were invisible to others
You were stealthy
You were levitating, at will
You could walk on water
You had slower digestion
You were protected
You were fast
You had reflection
You had free action
You were lucky (3)
You had extra luck
Good luck did not time out for you
You survived after being killed twice

Spells known in the end
Name Level Category Fail
a - slow monster 2* enchantment 100%

Vanquished creatures
Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (7 times) # it's been a long way up
Famine
10 arch-liches (8 created)
a high priest (4 created)
4 mastodons (5 created)
Medusa
10 krakens (17 created)
an Archon (3 created)
7 iron golems (9 created)
10 master liches (11 created)
a ki-rin
4 storm giants
2 titans
3 glass golems (4 created)
3 balrogs (4 created)
Thoth Amon
10 purple worms (19 created)
4 silver dragons (6 created)
13 red dragons (21 created)
2 white dragons (4 created)
an orange dragon (2 created)
9 black dragons (14 created)
7 blue dragons (10 created)
5 green dragons (11 created)
6 yellow dragons (10 created)
23 minotaurs (25 created)
10 jabberwocks (13 created)
6 baluchitheria (12 created)
3 Angels (26 created)
4 demiliches (5 created)
Vlad the Impaler
7 stone golems (16 created)
5 master mind flayers (6 created) # ETERNAL DAMNATION TO THEM
5 Olog-hai (8 created)
2 Nazguls
8 pit fiends (15 created)
2 sandestins (4 created)
5 hell hounds (12 created)
13 titanotheres (14 created)
7 trappers (14 created)
2 baby white dragons
a guardian naga (2 created)
42 vampire lords (45 created)
5 skeletons
10 aligned priests (42 created)
8 captains (14 created)
6 shades
10 liches (12 created)
4 clay golems (8 created)
13 nurses (28 created)
10 ice devils (12 created)
4 nalfeshnees (6 created)
6 lurkers above (9 created)
2 Aleaxes (4 created)
3 frost giants (7 created)
10 ettins (15 created)
11 black puddings (8 created)
28 vampires (35 created)
6 lieutenants (7 created)
34 ghosts (41 created)
2 queen bees
10 winged gargoyles (12 created)
5 mind flayers (7 created)
14 giant mimics (16 created)
10 zruties (12 created)
3 fire giants (13 created)
13 ogre kings (22 created)
15 ice trolls (3 created)
71 rock trolls (48 created)
15 umber hulks (22 created)
3 flesh golems (5 created)
7 Elvenkings (9 created)
6 doppelgangers (8 created)
13 hezrous (16 created)
17 bone devils (19 created)
7 large mimics (9 created)
9 wumpuses
7 fire vortices (10 created)
a baby purple worm
14 long worms
3 couatls (6 created)
13 stalkers (20 created)
7 air elementals (16 created)
8 fire elementals (30 created)
6 earth elementals (35 created)
3 water elementals (25 created)
41 trolls (22 created)
3 erinyes
7 mariliths (8 created)
54 ogres (75 created)
a fox # lowliest single kill
2686 creatures vanquished.

Genocided or extinct species:
killer bees (extinct)
disenchanters # from a throne, did it without thinking
erinyes (extinct)
1 species genocided.
2 species extinct.

Voluntary challenges
You genocided 1 type of monster
You polymorphed 25 items
You changed form 2 times
You used 14 wishes
You did not wish for any artifacts

Your skills at the end
Fighting Skills
bare handed combat [Basic]
two weapon combat [Basic]
Weapon Skills
axe [Expert]
broadsword [Skilled]
two-handed sword [Basic]
saber [Basic]
Spellcasting Skills
(none)

Goodbye blindcoder the Demigod...
You went to your reward with 4299136 points,
Stormbringer (worth 8000 zorkmids and 20000 points)
Orcrist (worth 2000 zorkmids and 5000 points)
Cleaver (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Heart of Ahriman (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
15 worthless pieces of colored glass,
11 jet stones (worth 9350 zorkmids),
11 chrysoberyl stones (worth 7700 zorkmids),
8 rubies (worth 28000 zorkmids),
8 sapphires (worth 24000 zorkmids),
7 fluorite stones (worth 2800 zorkmids),
6 black opals (worth 15000 zorkmids),
6 amethyst stones (worth 3600 zorkmids),
5 turquoise stones (worth 10000 zorkmids),
4 dilithium crystals (worth 18000 zorkmids),
4 diamonds (worth 16000 zorkmids),
3 citrine stones (worth 4500 zorkmids),
3 garnet stones (worth 2100 zorkmids),
3 obsidian stones (worth 600 zorkmids),
3 agate stones (worth 600 zorkmids),
3 jade stones (worth 900 zorkmids),
2 aquamarine stones (worth 3000 zorkmids),
1 emerald (worth 2500 zorkmids),
1 amber stone (worth 1000 zorkmids),
1 jasper stone (worth 500 zorkmids),
4 amulets of strangulation (worth 600 zorkmids),
3 amulets of ESP (worth 450 zorkmids),
3 amulets of reflection (worth 450 zorkmids),
1 amulet of restful sleep (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet versus poison (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of change (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of magical breathing (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 57367 pieces of gold, after 53324 moves.
Killer: ascended
You were level 17 with a maximum of 355 hit points when you ascended.

You made the top ten list!

No Points Name Hp [max]
1 4299136 blindcoder-Bar-Hum-Mal-Cha ascended to demigod-hood. 171 [355]
2 86118 blindcoder-Bar-Hum-Mal-Cha died in The Dungeons of
Doom on level 18. Killed by an owlbear, while
helpless. - [122]
3 5836 blindcoder-Bar-Hum-Mal-Neu died in The Dungeons of
Doom on level 8. Killed by an owlbear, while
helpless. - [73]

Jym wrote:

> He, why not try to ascend with as many bad effects as possible.
>
> Ascending a fainting, ill, food poisoned, sick, confused, stuned,
> hallucinating character in the last moment before he dies. Could be fun.
> Especially if you want to have as many bad effects as possible but
> without inflicting them yourself (well, you may summon the black light,
> cocatrice,... needed for the effects).

"I don't want to die now! I've still got a headache! I don't want to go to
heaven with a headache, I'd be all cross and wouldn't enjoy it!"

-- Arthur Dent, HHGTTG

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

600 points for Amulets of Strangulation... There's gotta be some
weiiiird folks on the astral plane.

Benjamin Schieder wrote:

> My third ascension and it only took 4 days!
> Guess it's true that once you've done it once you can easily do it again :)

Congratulations! And, yes, the more I succeed the less I
fail, happens to us all I suspect! :)

> Now, the ascension run was quite... interesting. I got an Athame earlier from
> one of the Lichs I killed which was my ticket for Elbereth. Too bad it got
> cursed somewhen and I didn't notice because I didn't buc-ID it. As such I was
> shocked when I saw the message "Your athame is getting dull." when writing
> Elbereth while surrounded by two mind flayers!

Sounds like you were in too much of a hurry to check your
inventory when you got hit by a malignant aura!

> With Int down to 3 (i.w.: three)

No unihorn?

> Too bad an Archon started a summoning storm which held me at 5 tiles from the
> portal. Two (all) potions of full healing, two amulets of lifesaving and two
> wishes (one for a blindfold to not get stunned by the archons, one for a
> cockatrice corpse) later I was able to stone my way through leaving only statues
> in my wake.

You don't routinely carry a blindfold or a towel?!

> On Astral I went - as usual - for the left altar first.
> Famine said "Hi" and Stormy (I "lost" the silver sabre somewhere) said "Bye."

If your secondary weapon gets cursed, you will drop it.

> Blindcoder the Raider St:25 Dx:18 Co:17 In:7 Wi:15 Ch:9 Chaotic S:2030943
> Astral Plane $:0 HP:171(355) Pw:48(48) AC:-27 Xp:17/757773 T:53324

> a - the invisible blessed rustproof +7 Stormbringer

How do you get an invisible weapon?

> E - an uncursed fireproof +0 pair of water walking boots (being worn)

No speed boots with all those wishes?

> D - an invisible uncursed +4 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
> h - an invisible cursed wand of death (0:0)
> H - an invisible cursed wand of fire (0:2)
> N - an invisible cursed rusty wand of wishing (1:0)
> b - an invisible blessed bag of holding
> r - the invisible cursed Bell of Opening (0:2)
> k - an invisible cursed lock pick
> O - an invisible magic marker (0:41)
> u - an invisible +0 unicorn horn
> S - the invisible uncursed Heart of Ahriman
> s - an invisible blessed luckstone

Invisible? And with all the cursed items you had you must
not have bothered uncursing anything.

> an invisible cursed rusty -3 athame

Wow, you had no uncursing/blessing items left. How many did
you take with you to the planes?

> 27 uncursed C-rations # overpreparation as always

K-rations give 1/3 more nourishment.

> Final attributes

> You saw invisible

Good thing, you couldn't have seen half your inventory! :)

> You were lucky (3)
> You had extra luck
> Good luck did not time out for you

That basically means you had zero luck plus 3 for the
luckstone. Perhaps that's why you had such a large number of
items cursed. All it takes is two identified gems to an
aligned unicorn or a short sac session to max luck. Or were
you doing something to reduce your luck. ISTR attacking
peacefuls sometimes gives a luck penalty.

> 10 arch-liches (8 created)

How does that work?

> 5 master mind flayers (6 created) # ETERNAL DAMNATION TO THEM

Were you just beating them to death? I guess that's what
barbarians do! :)

The most impressive thing about this ascension was that you
did it in just four days. I haven't ever been able to make
myself play that fast and marvel that anyone could ascend
playing that way. Well done!
--
Wes
The early bird may get the worm,

Arcane Cossack wrote:

> 600 points for Amulets of Strangulation... There's gotta be some
> weiiiird folks on the astral plane.

My last character found a blessed amulet of strangulation hoarded in Vlad's
tower. Perhaps he's in on it as well. I suppose if you're undead, or a
demigod(ess), auto-erotic asphyxiation is a safe pastime...

--

"Arcane Cossack" <arcanecossack@gmail.com> wrote:
>600 points for Amulets of Strangulation... There's gotta be some
>weiiiird folks on the astral plane.

Tory MPs, probably. Or possibly Australian rock stars.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html

> Sounds like you were in too much of a hurry to check your
> inventory when you got hit by a malignant aura!
Too much of that, probably

>>With Int down to 3 (i.w.: three)
>
> No unihorn?
Sure, got back to the initial 7 :)

> You don't routinely carry a blindfold or a towel?!
Err, no. But I just might start doing so now :)

> If your secondary weapon gets cursed, you will drop it.
That's nice to know. Should take care of that.
>> a - the invisible blessed rustproof +7 Stormbringer
> How do you get an invisible weapon?
Dip in potion of invisibility, zap with wand of make invisible. And apply this
patch: http://bilious.homelinux.org/index.php?act=show&id=63

>> E - an uncursed fireproof +0 pair of water walking boots (being worn)
> No speed boots with all those wishes?
They should be in the bag. Or I dropped them somewhere on Fire. But I sure had them.

>> D - an invisible uncursed +4 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
>> h - an invisible cursed wand of death (0:0)
>> H - an invisible cursed wand of fire (0:2)
>> N - an invisible cursed rusty wand of wishing (1:0)
>> b - an invisible blessed bag of holding
>> r - the invisible cursed Bell of Opening (0:2)
>> k - an invisible cursed lock pick
>> O - an invisible magic marker (0:41)
>> u - an invisible +0 unicorn horn
>> S - the invisible uncursed Heart of Ahriman
>> s - an invisible blessed luckstone
> Invisible? And with all the cursed items you had you must
> not have bothered uncursing anything.
All zapped with a wand of make invisible.

>> an invisible cursed rusty -3 athame
>
> Wow, you had no uncursing/blessing items left. How many did
> you take with you to the planes?
All there were. Three potions of holy water. Potions to pick up were rare. And I
routinely forgot the scrolls of remove curse due to mind flayers so I couldn't
write them.

>> 27 uncursed C-rations # overpreparation as always
> K-rations give 1/3 more nourishment.
I seem to be learning resistant here. I always think C rations are better.

>>Final attributes
>> You saw invisible
> Good thing, you couldn't have seen half your inventory! :)
You never knew how bad it is to be unblinded, then see:
You hit it! You kill it! You try to feel what is lying on the floor here. --More--
You feel here an invisible cockatrice corpse. You turn to stone.

>> You were lucky (3)
>> You had extra luck
>> Good luck did not time out for you
> That basically means you had zero luck plus 3 for the
> luckstone. Perhaps that's why you had such a large number of
> items cursed. All it takes is two identified gems to an
> aligned unicorn or a short sac session to max luck. Or were
> you doing something to reduce your luck. ISTR attacking
> peacefuls sometimes gives a luck penalty.
Hmm, I sacced until I didn't get the four-leaf clover anymore. Maybe Stormy went
mad on the way down/up.

>> 10 arch-liches (8 created)
> How does that work?
Polytraps and/or potion of gain level.

>> 5 master mind flayers (6 created) # ETERNAL DAMNATION TO THEM
> Were you just beating them to death? I guess that's what
> barbarians do! :)
With barely a charge in the wand of death and no way of engraving Elbereth I
guess that's what I did.

> The most impressive thing about this ascension was that you
> did it in just four days. I haven't ever been able to make
> myself play that fast and marvel that anyone could ascend
> playing that way. Well done!
Thank you :)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Arcane Cossack wrote:

> 600 points for Amulets of Strangulation... There's gotta be some
> weiiiird folks on the astral plane.

He, why not try to ascend with as many bad effects as possible.

Ascending a fainting, ill, food poisoned, sick, confused, stuned,
hallucinating character in the last moment before he dies. Could be fun.
Especially if you want to have as many bad effects as possible but without
inflicting them yourself (well, you may summon the black light,
cocatrice,... needed for the effects).

Last call for ascencion...

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.