BenQ XL2420T or Asus VG278HE

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 16, 2012 4:42:41 AM

BenQ XL2420T or Asus VG278HE

Which is the better monitor?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
November 16, 2012 4:44:57 AM

The BenQ is 24" (or 23.6") while the ASUS is 27". The BenQ is 120hz, the ASUS is 144hz.

They are too different to directly compare, but I'd definitely prefer the ASUS.
m
l
November 16, 2012 4:51:31 AM

Okay, Yeah I know nothing about either brand really (buying this gaming monitor for my boyfriend). I have heard good things about both so I'm torn on which one to get. Is 27 inches okay with 1080 resolution?

He plays GW2 and is going to SLI 2 GTX 670 FTW with the monitor..so with that said, would you still go with the asus and do you think he'll see a big change from his current set up which is a 60hz monitor with 1 GTX 670 FTW

Thanks so much!
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
November 16, 2012 4:54:48 AM

i'm running with a single GTX 670 FTW.

I get around 50-60 fps in most PVE areas and it drops down to 20-30 fps in WVW. (with like 60+ people on screen in wvw) (max all settings, native sampling, vsync on)

He should just get a 60 hz monitor with one gtx 670... unless he doesn't mind blowing all that cash lol.
m
l
November 16, 2012 4:57:15 AM

Do you have thoughts on either of these two monitors?

Thanks!
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
November 16, 2012 4:57:26 AM

Well, 120hz vs 144hz isn't really that big, but if you were to buy a 3D Vision kit to go with it, that gives you 60hz vs 72hz in 3D, which is a bit more noticeable. The 3D vision at 72hz is a big selling point to me, as I love 3D, but I get nauseated if I game more than 45-60 mins at 60hz. 72hz would help that.

I also game at 27" on a 120hz monitor (and 3D Vision). I personally find 27"s to be great for gaming at least. I even like it at the desktop, as it makes the text an easier size to read. While I can read smaller text, larger text is more comfortable.

You may also need to consider where the monitor will fit. Some people don't have as much space as others and will find a larger monitor will not work.

Note: Neither monitor works with 3D without buying the 3D Vision 2 kit separately.

And you must be one special GF to be buying this for your BF. Hopefully you don't mind sharing your time with him with his gaming :p  You might lose him from time to time.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
November 16, 2012 4:58:31 AM

Quote:
i'm running with a single GTX 670 FTW.

I get around 50-60 fps in most PVE areas and it drops down to 20-30 fps in WVW. (with like 60+ people on screen in wvw) (max all settings, native sampling, vsync on)

He should just get a 60 hz monitor with one gtx 670... unless he doesn't mind blowing all that cash lol.

Don't forget that she mentioned he's going to 670 SLI and not all games are so tough on FPS.
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 16, 2012 5:00:46 AM

Quote:
Do you have thoughts on either of these two monitors?

Thanks!

I'd say that it's overkill (since you won't reach 120 fps on GW2 with GTX 670 FTW in SLI)

The game itself just has terrible coding... and 60+ fps won't really make a difference with most mmos since the there is no precise aiming required...

Unless he's going to be gaming in 3D, you really don't need 120hz monitor for mmos.
m
l
November 16, 2012 5:07:15 AM

Okay well I don't think he really cares for the 3D that much - so which is the better monitor for strictly 2D? The thing that confused me was that on the asus monitor it says "2ms GTG" and on the BenQ it says "5 ms (2ms GTG)" ..so is that the same thing since they are both saying 2ms GTG even though one says 5ms? That has been throwing me off.

The reason I'm getting the monitor mainly is because he wants to SLI another GTX 670 and many people said that doing that on a 60hz monitor would be overkill like the cards would basically not be able to perform to their highest potential or whatever..so that is basically why I want to upgrade the monitor.

He is concerned with FPS and stuff.

And yes I know I'm gonna have to be willing to lose him to the game a little haha

Anyways this has been driving me crazy for the last like week and I just want to pick a monitor already lol

Thanks
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 16, 2012 5:18:31 AM

Quote:
Okay well I don't think he really cares for the 3D that much - so which is the better monitor for strictly 2D? The thing that confused me was that on the asus monitor it says "2ms GTG" and on the BenQ it says "5 ms (2ms GTG)" ..so is that the same thing since they are both saying 2ms GTG even though one says 5ms? That has been throwing me off.

The reason I'm getting the monitor mainly is because he wants to SLI another GTX 670 and many people said that doing that on a 60hz monitor would be overkill like the cards would basically not be able to perform to their highest potential or whatever..so that is basically why I want to upgrade the monitor.

He is concerned with FPS and stuff.

And yes I know I'm gonna have to be willing to lose him to the game a little haha

Anyways this has been driving me crazy for the last like week and I just want to pick a monitor already lol

Thanks

2ms GTG is the time it takes to flash from grey to white to grey (GTG) and 5 ms is the time it takes for other colors to flash to white and back to the color.

I would suggest that he get a second monitor if he has room on his desk. (or 3 monitors) (instead of one 120hz one)

and ya. SLI of GTX 670 FTW on a 60 hz monitor is way overkill.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
November 16, 2012 7:23:50 AM

If you're looking for the best 3D monitor that will also play great in 2D, then you should choose between the BenQ XL2420T and the ASUS VG278H. Both incorporate nVidia's 3D Vision 2 with 3D LightBoost which greatly improves the overall 3D experience.

While the BenQ doesn't disappoint as far as specifications with a 2ms response time, 120Hz refresh rate, low input lag, and a great picture, The XL2420T comes with a lot of other features built-in to this monitor specifically for gamers including FPS Mode, RTS Mode, Intuitive OSD, S. Switch;Height Adjustment, and Game Mode Loader.

If you just want this monitor for the 2D technology, then you might want to consider its predecessor, XL2410T, which is significantly cheaper and has many of the same features as the XL2420T, but has nVidia 3D Vision rather than 3D Vision 2.
m
l
November 16, 2012 2:34:10 PM

Okay, thanks!

So he is probably just going to play in 2D mostly..

He plays Guild Wars 2. With this said, which monitor would you choose - BenQXL2420T or the ASUS VG278HE?

He wants to improve fps, lag, etc. (I think lol).

I really want to buy today because I have been researching forever and just can't decide between these two monitors, they both have good reviews but I want the better one lol
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
November 16, 2012 2:46:34 PM

They are both good and he'd be happy with either. I personally loved going from 23" to 27" and would not go back, but I can't say if he'd feel the same way. What size is his current monitor?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
November 16, 2012 2:51:22 PM

I would go with which ever is cheaper lol!As bystander mentioned.They are both good and he'd be happy with either.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
November 16, 2012 3:17:52 PM

Quote:
It is 24 inches

That's tougher. I was hoping it was 22" or less, so that he could go with the BenQ and be happy about both the size increase and refresh rate. That would be a great double improvement. It'd still likely be happy with either, but given I never hear anyone unhappy about going from 24" to 27", I'd likely say that is what he'd be happiest with, but it's hard to ignore the cost hike.
m
l
November 16, 2012 4:21:07 PM

I got the ASUS VG278HE --Its 27 inches and a higher refresh rate..so hopefully it will be worth the extra money

The asus is still considered a "gaming" type of monitor right? Cuz that was the other thing..BenQ advertises so hard on "gaming" and I didn't know if the asus was geared towards gamers as much..but I think it is..hopefully..
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
November 16, 2012 4:26:03 PM

Both are clearly gaming monitors.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
November 16, 2012 4:28:27 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Graphics & Displays to section Computer Peripherals by Mousemonkey
m
l
November 27, 2012 1:27:59 PM

I like the stats on the ASUS VG278HE but I can only use a 22,23 or 24 in monitor. I am looking for the same sorts of things that the original poster was looking for. What is an excellent gaming monitor that has basically the stats as the VG278HE but in a 22, 23 or 24 inch size?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
November 27, 2012 1:39:26 PM

There is no other monitor that is set to run at 144hz. It is kind of an experiment.
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:38:20 PM

whoops sorry i missed that part. i'm looking for 120hz at 22, 23 or 24 inch size, that is an excellent gaming monitor. I am sensitive to motion blur, my monitor is a samsung syncmaster 2253bw it is 60hz and i can literally see the motion blur on it.. it's an eye strain, my friend has a alienware laptop sorry, don't have the model number, he just bought it in the last few months. it has a 120hz screen on it and when i look at his screen (with his laptop sitting 4 feet away from my monitor) there is a huge difference in the quality of the game. (we play guild wars 2) mine is blurry his isn't. hopefully someone has an idea for a good monitor.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
November 27, 2012 10:42:37 PM

The BenQ XL2420T is very similar to the ASUS you mentioned. It can support 3D Vision 2, but doesn't come with the kit, just like the HE model you ASUS VG278HE. Most find it to be one of the best or best 120hz monitor at 24".
m
l
December 2, 2012 4:54:26 PM

IMO, both monitors are overkill for GW and you'll really only notice their full potential on FPS games. However, I used both the BenQ (own it) and Asus 27" side by side, and separately, and I can easily say that the Asus is far superior. Its' GTG times even at 120hz outperforms the BenQ and at 144hz it is even better. Gaming is noticeably smoother and faster on the Asus, twitch shooting is seamless and the image transitions are near flawless. While with my BenQ I'll often get ghosting, stuttering, and lines coming across my screen anytime I produce any rapid movement. Something I didn't notice at all on the Asus, and again hooked up to the same rig. At the moment I'm considering sending my BenQ back and getting something else, so if you have the money for something better, I personally wouldn't recommend the BenQ to anyone.

To be fair, color production between the two was near identical. The BenQ receives a lot of undeserved flack for it's color representation, but again I've had these setup to display duplicate and in-game they both look almost identical.
m
l
!