Boot Time Getting Progressively Slower

techguy1001

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hi,

*Sorry, this might be considered a long one. I've tried to make it as painless as possible, I promise!*

About 2 weeks ago, I built a new computer from scratch and gave it some pretty awesome specs, especially for my budget ($1,000). Some basic specs are:
i5-3750k CPU
MSI GTX 660 O/C GPU
8GB of RAM
a 1TB 7200 RPM 6.0GB/s HDD
a 64 GB Samsung SSD

When I first started the computer, I was able to get from boot screen (the little MSI logo for my mainboard), to the Windows 7 login screen in a few seconds. I'm not sure exactly how long, but the little windows logo that appears when Windows loads didn't even finish appearing. The 4 parts of the windows met in the middle and then it was done.

However, now, after 2 weeks of installing stuff, the boot time has gone up. Slightly. It went from about 8 seconds to 10-12 seconds (estimates!). To be honest, however, the boot time was pretty much the same until yesterday, and it was different this morning. The only thing that was changed was that I installed Google Drive.

Also, just so you know, my SSD is pretty much exclusively a boot disk. All of my program files and user documents are stored on my HDD, allowing my SSD to be the "windows" disk.

Like I said, my boot time has always been pretty fast, and I certainly am not complaining about it now - however, I've noticed and change, and don't want it to continually get worse, so I want to try to prevent it from happening in the future.

By the way, I have taken multiple maintenance measures. Yesterday I ran a full virus scan on both disks, a defragment on the HDD (I know not to run one on the SSD), as well as run CCleaner to ensure that my startup isn't too long (It went up by 1 program : Google Drive).

While I am not expecting an exact answer, any tips you guys have for my situation would be much appreciated, as I want to keep my brand new spankin' computer as new as I can.

Thanks!

jokyteddy

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I would suggest you to use msconfig.exe to shutdown a few start up programs/ services. Hold windows key + R key and type in msconfig and press enter. Go over to the startup tab and uncheck some boxes to disable the programs you don't need at boot. Then go over to the services tab and check the hide all microsoft services box, and uncheck some of the options you don't need. Good luck!

techguy1001

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Like I said, my SSD is solely for the boot and has thus not been changed recently at all. It was just yesterday that my boot slowed down, and nothing really had happened to the SSD's file storage in that time.

"I would suggest you to use msconfig.exe to shutdown a few start up programs/ services. Hold windows key + R key and type in msconfig and press enter. Go over to the startup tab and uncheck some boxes to disable the programs you don't need at boot. Then go over to the services tab and check the hide all microsoft services box, and uncheck some of the options you don't need. Good luck!"

Would that be anything different that what CCleaner has?