Running Nethack in Gnome terminal in Fedora Core 3 problem

Last response: in Video Games
March 19, 2005 4:45:01 AM

Whenever I try to play in a gnome terminal on a Fedora Core 3 I can only
use plain vanilla ascii. If I try for color or highlighting I get
garbage. The cursor is moving all over the place and things are
represented ad being somewhere other than where they are.

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?

How?

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

Mark Healey wrote:

> Whenever I try to play in a gnome terminal on a Fedora Core 3 I can only
> use plain vanilla ascii. If I try for color or highlighting I get
> garbage. The cursor is moving all over the place and things are
> represented ad being somewhere other than where they are.
>
> Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?
>
> How?

I haven't had this problem, but have you tried other terms (e.g. xterm,
rxvt, wterm, ...)?

It sounds to me like either the .terminfo entry for whatever $TERM is set
to in gnome-terminal wrong, or $TERM environment is set to something not
compatible with gnome-terminal.

If you're getting garbage when you try to set IBMgraphics, it probably is
because you're not using a compatible font.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 7:25:26 PM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:43:12 -0800, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> Mark Healey wrote:
>
>> Whenever I try to play in a gnome terminal on a Fedora Core 3 I can only
>> use plain vanilla ascii. If I try for color or highlighting I get
>> garbage. The cursor is moving all over the place and things are
>> represented ad being somewhere other than where they are.
>>
>> Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?
>>
>> How?
>
> I haven't had this problem, but have you tried other terms (e.g. xterm,
> rxvt, wterm, ...)?
>
> It sounds to me like either the .terminfo entry for whatever $TERM is set
> to in gnome-terminal wrong, or $TERM environment is set to something not
> compatible with gnome-terminal.

No, I get all the right colors when I "ls".

> If you're getting garbage when you try to set IBMgraphics, it probably is
> because you're not using a compatible font.

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 12:58:24 AM

Mark Healey wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:43:12 -0800, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>
>> Mark Healey wrote:
>>
>>> Whenever I try to play in a gnome terminal on a Fedora Core 3 I can
>>> only use plain vanilla ascii. If I try for color or highlighting I get
>>> garbage. The cursor is moving all over the place and things are
>>> represented ad being somewhere other than where they are.
>>>
>>> Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?
>>>
>>> How?
>>
>> I haven't had this problem, but have you tried other terms (e.g. xterm,
>> rxvt, wterm, ...)?
>>
>> It sounds to me like either the .terminfo entry for whatever $TERM is
>> set to in gnome-terminal wrong, or $TERM environment is set to something
>> not compatible with gnome-terminal.
>
> No, I get all the right colors when I "ls".

I'm not sure that ls uses the .terminfo database. I'm pretty sure I've had
cases where .terminfo enabled apps didn't show colour but ls did.

What is your $TERM set to in gnome-terminal? (e.g. do a "echo $TERM").

Have you tried running in an xterm?

Just to confirm, you get garbage if the *only* option you toggle is colour?

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
March 20, 2005 7:16:35 AM

Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> wrote in
news:p an.2005.03.19.01.47.33.70371@spammer.die:

> Whenever I try to play in a gnome terminal on a Fedora Core 3 I can only
> use plain vanilla ascii. If I try for color or highlighting I get
> garbage. The cursor is moving all over the place and things are
> represented ad being somewhere other than where they are.
>
> Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?
>
> How?

Because which termcap definition you are using and what nethack is set for
that is unanswerable, but I would double check your termcap file to see
that it has what you need. If you don't know what that means, play on
console... (Too dificult to explain otherwise unless you're a Unix guru)

Chuck

--
lisp LIVES!!!
Anonymous

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:58:24 -0800, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> Mark Healey wrote:

>>> I haven't had this problem, but have you tried other terms (e.g. xterm,
>>> rxvt, wterm, ...)?
>>>
>>> It sounds to me like either the .terminfo entry for whatever $TERM is
>>> set to in gnome-terminal wrong, or $TERM environment is set to something
>>> not compatible with gnome-terminal.
>>
>> No, I get all the right colors when I "ls".
>
> I'm not sure that ls uses the .terminfo database. I'm pretty sure I've had
> cases where .terminfo enabled apps didn't show colour but ls did.
>
> What is your $TERM set to in gnome-terminal? (e.g. do a "echo $TERM").

xterm.

> Have you tried running in an xterm?

yes, same problem.

> Just to confirm, you get garbage if the *only* option you toggle is colour?

No, It also happens when I toggle hilite_pet.

The thing is that alot of the garbage I see looks alot like an ANSI escape
sequence ([6;59H.).

When I do "set | grep TERM" I get:

COLORTERM=gnome-terminal
TERM=xterm

I also decided I might try to compile from source but there is no "linux"
directory under the "src" directory. I started to try the the one under
the unix directory but wasn't confident that I was getting things right
and gave up.

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:21:22 PM

Mark Healey wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:58:24 -0800, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>> What is your $TERM set to in gnome-terminal? (e.g. do a "echo $TERM").
>
> xterm.
>
>> Have you tried running in an xterm?
>
> yes, same problem.

Weird.

>> Just to confirm, you get garbage if the *only* option you toggle is
>> colour?
>
> No, It also happens when I toggle hilite_pet.

You mis-parsed my sentence.

> The thing is that alot of the garbage I see looks alot like an ANSI
> escape sequence ([6;59H.).

Yes, those are the escape sequences that tell your terminal to change (for
example) the colour. I still sounds to me that the most likely problem is
a faulty terminfo entry (or possibly with the older "termcap" db, but any
recent versions should be using terminfo).

> I also decided I might try to compile from source but there is no "linux"
> directory under the "src" directory.

You only need that if you want to compile your linux kernel.

> I started to try the the one under the unix directory but wasn't
> confident that I was getting things right and gave up.

If I were to compile from source I'd put the nethack source directory under
/usr/local/src, but it doesn't really matter where it goes. I don't
believe this is a problem with nethack, however.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 11:07:04 AM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:21:22 -0800, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> Mark Healey wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:58:24 -0800, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>>> What is your $TERM set to in gnome-terminal? (e.g. do a "echo $TERM").
>>
>> xterm.
>>
>>> Have you tried running in an xterm?
>>
>> yes, same problem.
>
> Weird.
>
>>> Just to confirm, you get garbage if the *only* option you toggle is
>>> colour?
>>
>> No, It also happens when I toggle hilite_pet.
>
> You mis-parsed my sentence.

Let me restate. I get garbage whenever I turn on any option that causes
ansi escape sequences to be used. If I turn them off the problem goes
away.

>> I also decided I might try to compile from source but there is no "linux"
>> directory under the "src" directory.
>
> You only need that if you want to compile your linux kernel.

Mistyped. I meant the "sys" directory that comes from the tarball.

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:27:15 PM

Mark Healey wrote:

> Let me restate. I get garbage whenever I turn on any option that causes
> ansi escape sequences to be used. If I turn them off the problem goes
> away.
>
>>> I also decided I might try to compile from source but there is no
>>> "linux" directory under the "src" directory.
>>
>> You only need that if you want to compile your linux kernel.
>
> Mistyped. I meant the "sys" directory that comes from the tarball.

Ah. You want nethack/sys/unix, and take a look at
nethack/sys/unix/README.linux

Have you tried telnetting to nethack.alt.org from an xterm? If you do
this, and still experience the problem, you can verify for sure that it's
not a problem with your nethack executable.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 6:23:37 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:27:15 -0800, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> Mark Healey wrote:
>
>> Let me restate. I get garbage whenever I turn on any option that causes
>> ansi escape sequences to be used. If I turn them off the problem goes
>> away.

>>> You only need that if you want to compile your linux kernel.
>>
>> Mistyped. I meant the "sys" directory that comes from the tarball.
>
> Ah. You want nethack/sys/unix, and take a look at
> nethack/sys/unix/README.linux
>
> Have you tried telnetting to nethack.alt.org from an xterm? If you do
> this, and still experience the problem, you can verify for sure that it's
> not a problem with your nethack executable.

No but I solved the problem...sort of.

I just run this script.
----
#!/bin/bash

export TERM="ansi"

/usr/bin/nethack
----

Which I just happened to name "nethack" and placed it in HOME/bin which
just happens to be the first directory in my $PATH.

Everything works fine.
March 25, 2005 7:17:46 AM

Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> wrote in
news:p an.2005.03.25.03.26.11.6281@spammer.die:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:27:15 -0800, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>
>> Mark Healey wrote:
>>
>>> Let me restate. I get garbage whenever I turn on any option that causes
>>> ansi escape sequences to be used. If I turn them off the problem goes
>>> away.

>>> Mistyped. I meant the "sys" directory that comes from the tarball.
>>
>> Ah. You want nethack/sys/unix, and take a look at
>> nethack/sys/unix/README.linux
>>
>> Have you tried telnetting to nethack.alt.org from an xterm? If you do
>> this, and still experience the problem, you can verify for sure that it's
>> not a problem with your nethack executable.
>
> No but I solved the problem...sort of.
>
> I just run this script.
> ----
> #!/bin/bash
>
> export TERM="ansi"
>
> /usr/bin/nethack
> ----
>
> Which I just happened to name "nethack" and placed it in HOME/bin which
> just happens to be the first directory in my $PATH.
>
> Everything works fine.

make sure you add that line to your /etc/profile..

--
lisp LIVES!!!
Anonymous

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 04:17:46 +0000, chuck wrote:

>> No but I solved the problem...sort of.
>>
>> I just run this script.
>> ----
>> #!/bin/bash
>>
>> export TERM="ansi"
>>
>> /usr/bin/nethack
>> ----
>>
>> Which I just happened to name "nethack" and placed it in HOME/bin which
>> just happens to be the first directory in my $PATH.
>>
>> Everything works fine.
>>

> make sure you add that line to your /etc/profile..

Why would I do that? I waste enough time playing Nethack.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:08:36 PM

Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> wrote:

> No but I solved the problem...sort of.
>
> I just run this script.
> ----
> #!/bin/bash
>
> export TERM="ansi"
>
> /usr/bin/nethack
> ----
>
> Which I just happened to name "nethack" and placed it in HOME/bin which
> just happens to be the first directory in my $PATH.
>
> Everything works fine.

Can you add a line like the following to your .bashrc (or whatever)?

alias nethack="TERM=ansi /usr/bin/nethack"

--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Mark Healey wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:27:15 -0800, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>> Have you tried telnetting to nethack.alt.org from an xterm? If you do
>> this, and still experience the problem, you can verify for sure that
>> it's not a problem with your nethack executable.
>
> No but I solved the problem...sort of.
>
> I just run this script.
> ----
> #!/bin/bash
>
> export TERM="ansi"
>
> /usr/bin/nethack
> ----
>
> Which I just happened to name "nethack" and placed it in HOME/bin which
> just happens to be the first directory in my $PATH.
>
> Everything works fine.

Well, this seems like more evidence that there's something wrong with your
terminfo entry for xterm.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
March 28, 2005 8:59:48 AM

Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> wrote in
news:p an.2005.03.25.08.17.33.521920@spammer.die:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 04:17:46 +0000, chuck wrote:
>
>>> No but I solved the problem...sort of.
>>>
>>> I just run this script.
>>> ----
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>>
>>> export TERM="ansi"
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/nethack
>>> ----
>>>
>>> Which I just happened to name "nethack" and placed it in HOME/bin which
>>> just happens to be the first directory in my $PATH.
>>>
>>> Everything works fine.
>>>

>> make sure you add that line to your /etc/profile..
>
> Why would I do that? I waste enough time playing Nethack.

No other reason as that that is where the NETHACK variable and other such
things as that go

--
lisp LIVES!!!
Anonymous

chuck wrote:

> Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> wrote:

>>> make sure you add that line to your /etc/profile..
>>
>> Why would I do that? I waste enough time playing Nethack.
>
> No other reason as that that is where the NETHACK variable and other such
> things as that go

1. There is no "NETHACK" variable.
2. Why would you put any such customization in the system-wide .profile for
Bourne shells? If the system is used by more than one person, other
users may have their own terminfo entries that work properly (assuming
this is the problem).
3. In particular, if you could set TERM from your .profile it would be a
dumb idea. What if you wanted to use a different terminal?
4. ... but, in fact, setting TERM in your .profile will have no effect; it
will get reset by your terminal.
5. The OP solved his problem by creating a script which he put in his
PATH. Why would he then also add anything to his .profile as well?

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 5:32:31 PM

chuck wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote in
>
>> 1. There is no "NETHACK" variable.
> that's because you have never added it to that file. In the Guidebook
> that comes with nethack it specifically refers to the /etc/profile file
> for your nethack settings.

And the NETHACK variable is not one of these settings. Defining NETHACK
has no effect.

> You could add it to your <home>/.bashrc, but then it would only apply to
> that user.

This is the appropriate thing to do for non-standard settings that not all
users would want.

>> 2. Why would you put any such customization in the system-wide .profile
>> for
>> Bourne shells? If the system is used by more than one person, other
>> users may have their own terminfo entries that work properly (assuming
>> this is the problem).
> the /etc/profile is loaded before logon on boot for ALL users and if
> there is completely different hardware (non-clone) then it MAY be an
> issue then.

What does hardware have to do with this?

>> 3. In particular, if you could set TERM from your .profile it would be a
>> dumb idea. What if you wanted to use a different terminal?
> then you would use either a different user or as not worry about it
> unless you have a completely different type of computer such as a Sun or
> a Mac.

So if I want to open up, say, an rxvt, I should log in as a different user?
I don't think so.

>> 4. ... but, in fact, setting TERM in your .profile will have no effect;
>> it
>> will get reset by your terminal.
> only if there is another TERM definition later on in the file for the
> obvious reason and the answer to #2.

This is not the case. This environment variable gets set by the terminal
program itself.

>> 5. The OP solved his problem by creating a script which he put in his
>> PATH. Why would he then also add anything to his .profile as well?
> not as well, but instead so that he no longer needs the script in a
> different directory and has to hunt for such things in the future as he
> adds such scripts.

Hunt for what things in the future? If he wants to fix this problem
"properly" he should probably find out what's wrong with his terminfo or
terminal programs. Otherwise I see nothing wrong with the script as a
quick fix. The other obvious quick fix would be to define an alias in his
..bash_profile or whatever.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
March 29, 2005 12:26:13 AM

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote in

> 1. There is no "NETHACK" variable.
that's because you have never added it to that file. In the Guidebook
that comes with nethack it specifically refers to the /etc/profile file for
your nethack settings. You could add it to your <home>/.bashrc, but then it
would only apply to that user.

> 2. Why would you put any such customization in the system-wide .profile for
> Bourne shells? If the system is used by more than one person, other
> users may have their own terminfo entries that work properly (assuming
> this is the problem).
the /etc/profile is loaded before logon on boot for ALL users and if there is
completely different hardware (non-clone) then it MAY be an issue then.

> 3. In particular, if you could set TERM from your .profile it would be a
> dumb idea. What if you wanted to use a different terminal?
then you would use either a different user or as not worry about it unless
you have a completely different type of computer such as a Sun or a Mac.

> 4. ... but, in fact, setting TERM in your .profile will have no effect; it
> will get reset by your terminal.
only if there is another TERM definition later on in the file for the obvious
reason and the answer to #2.
> 5. The OP solved his problem by creating a script which he put in his
> PATH. Why would he then also add anything to his .profile as well?
not as well, but instead so that he no longer needs the script in a different
directory and has to hunt for such things in the future as he adds such
scripts.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:18:53 AM

chuck wrote:

>>> You could add it to your <home>/.bashrc, but then it would only apply
>>> to that user.
>>
>> This is the appropriate thing to do for non-standard settings that not
>> all users would want.
>
> only if you are using said machine in a multi-machine network with other
> non- clone machines logging into said machine to use unix.

No, for any multi-user system.

>>> the /etc/profile is loaded before logon on boot for ALL users and if
>>> there is completely different hardware (non-clone) then it MAY be an
>>> issue then.
>>
>> What does hardware have to do with this?
> The type of graphics card and character set (that's where ansii comes
> from)

Among other problems with this statement, we're talking about running in an
X session. This is entirely a software problem.

>>> only if there is another TERM definition later on in the file for the
>>> obvious reason and the answer to #2.
>>
>> This is not the case. This environment variable gets set by the
>> terminal program itself.
>
> WHAT terminal program? you're using bash on a local machine.

In a xterm/gnome_terminal/rxvt, ...

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
March 29, 2005 8:20:24 AM

> chuck wrote:
>
>> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote in
>>
>>> 1. There is no "NETHACK" variable.
>> that's because you have never added it to that file. In the Guidebook
>> that comes with nethack it specifically refers to the /etc/profile file
>> for your nethack settings.
>
> And the NETHACK variable is not one of these settings. Defining NETHACK
> has no effect.

Ok, My ONE mistake NETHACKOPTIONS.

>> You could add it to your <home>/.bashrc, but then it would only apply to
>> that user.
>
> This is the appropriate thing to do for non-standard settings that not all
> users would want.

only if you are using said machine in a multi-machine network with other non-
clone machines logging into said machine to use unix.

>>> 2. Why would you put any such customization in the system-wide .profile
>>> for
>>> Bourne shells? If the system is used by more than one person, other
>>> users may have their own terminfo entries that work properly (assuming
>>> this is the problem).
>> the /etc/profile is loaded before logon on boot for ALL users and if
>> there is completely different hardware (non-clone) then it MAY be an
>> issue then.
>
> What does hardware have to do with this?
The type of graphics card and character set (that's where ansii comes from)

>>> 3. In particular, if you could set TERM from your .profile it would be a
>>> dumb idea. What if you wanted to use a different terminal?
>> then you would use either a different user or as not worry about it
>> unless you have a completely different type of computer such as a Sun or
>> a Mac.
>
> So if I want to open up, say, an rxvt, I should log in as a different user?
> I don't think so.

Only if you're using a non-ansi computer or a non-clone computer that doesn't
emulate ansi.
>>> 4. ... but, in fact, setting TERM in your .profile will have no effect;
>>> it
>>> will get reset by your terminal.
>> only if there is another TERM definition later on in the file for the
>> obvious reason and the answer to #2.
>
> This is not the case. This environment variable gets set by the terminal
> program itself.

WHAT terminal program? you're using bash on a local machine.

>>> 5. The OP solved his problem by creating a script which he put in his
>>> PATH. Why would he then also add anything to his .profile as well?
>> not as well, but instead so that he no longer needs the script in a
>> different directory and has to hunt for such things in the future as he
>> adds such scripts.
>
> Hunt for what things in the future? If he wants to fix this problem
any scripts he writes...
> "properly" he should probably find out what's wrong with his terminfo or
> terminal programs. Otherwise I see nothing wrong with the script as a
> quick fix. The other obvious quick fix would be to define an alias in his
> .bash_profile or whatever.

yeah, it's called TERM...
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 11:44:50 PM

chuck wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote in

>>> only if you are using said machine in a multi-machine network with
>>> other non- clone machines logging into said machine to use unix.
>>
>> No, for any multi-user system.
> no, pc's support ansi graphics. as stated earlier it's built into them
> try holding down (in dos) <alt> and typing some number between 128 and
> 255 on the numberpad sometime and you'll see all kinds of ansii box
> drawing characters.

Great. Complete non-sequitur, though.

>>> The type of graphics card and character set (that's where ansii comes
>>> from)
>>
>> Among other problems with this statement, we're talking about running in
>> an X session. This is entirely a software problem.
>>
> no, software as only as far as you are describing the physical hardware
> used for the character set try man terminfo. There is no problem. The
> incompatibilty is that nethack wants to use ibm characters because the
> NETHACKOPTIONS line tells it too.

Why are we suddenly talking about cp437 characters? The OP was just trying
to get colour to work. Even if we *were* talking about cp437, displaying
these characters in an xterm is *not a hardware problem*, period; it's a
matter of using an appropriate font.

>>> WHAT terminal program? you're using bash on a local machine.
>>
>> In a xterm/gnome_terminal/rxvt, ...
>>
> that's not a terminal program it's a xwindows shell. A terminal program
> is a program like hyperterminal or telnet that you use to connect to
> different computer.

It's a freakin' terminal emulator already. Are you making this stuff up as
you go along, or what?

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
March 30, 2005 7:11:14 AM

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote in

>>> This is the appropriate thing to do for non-standard settings that not
>>> all users would want.
>>
>> only if you are using said machine in a multi-machine network with other
>> non- clone machines logging into said machine to use unix.
>
> No, for any multi-user system.
no, pc's support ansi graphics. as stated earlier it's built into them try
holding down (in dos) <alt> and typing some number between 128 and 255
on the numberpad sometime and you'll see all kinds of ansii box drawing
characters.

>>> What does hardware have to do with this?
>> The type of graphics card and character set (that's where ansii comes
>> from)
>
> Among other problems with this statement, we're talking about running in an
> X session. This is entirely a software problem.

no, software as only as far as you are describing the physical hardware used
for the character set try man terminfo. There is no problem. The
incompatibilty is that nethack wants to use ibm characters because the
NETHACKOPTIONS line tells it too.

>>> This is not the case. This environment variable gets set by the
>>> terminal program itself.
>>
>> WHAT terminal program? you're using bash on a local machine.
>
> In a xterm/gnome_terminal/rxvt, ...

that's not a terminal program it's a xwindows shell. A terminal program is a
program like hyperterminal or telnet that you use to connect to different
computer.
March 30, 2005 7:53:11 AM

> chuck wrote:
>
>> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote in

>>> No, for any multi-user system.
>> no, pc's support ansi graphics. as stated earlier it's built into them
>> try holding down (in dos) <alt> and typing some number between 128 and
>> 255 on the numberpad sometime and you'll see all kinds of ansii box
>> drawing characters.
>
> Great. Complete non-sequitur, though.

>>> Among other problems with this statement, we're talking about running in
>>> an X session. This is entirely a software problem.
>>>
>> no, software as only as far as you are describing the physical hardware
>> used for the character set try man terminfo. There is no problem. The
>> incompatibilty is that nethack wants to use ibm characters because the
>> NETHACKOPTIONS line tells it too.
>
> Why are we suddenly talking about cp437 characters? The OP was just trying
> to get colour to work. Even if we *were* talking about cp437, displaying
> these characters in an xterm is *not a hardware problem*, period; it's a
> matter of using an appropriate font.

>>> In a xterm/gnome_terminal/rxvt, ...
>>>
>> that's not a terminal program it's a xwindows shell. A terminal program
>> is a program like hyperterminal or telnet that you use to connect to
>> different computer.
>
> It's a freakin' terminal emulator already. Are you making this stuff up as
> you go along, or what?

Look, there are concepts here such as character sets, ansi graphics, terminfo
et all, that you are just not getting, so this discussion is over, any
further reply and I'll plonk you.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 7:53:12 AM

On 03/29/05 10:53 PM, chuck wrote:

> Look, there are concepts here such as character sets, ansi graphics, terminfo
> et all, that you are just not getting, so this discussion is over, any
> further reply and I'll plonk you.

What a coincidence, a lot of people were going to say the same thing to you!

--
Chris "Bob" Odorjan - bobnet@canada.com
BobNET - http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/

chuck wrote:

>>> that's not a terminal program it's a xwindows shell. A terminal program
>>> is a program like hyperterminal or telnet that you use to connect to
>>> different computer.
>>
>> It's a freakin' terminal emulator already. Are you making this stuff up
>> as you go along, or what?
>
> Look, there are concepts here such as character sets, ansi graphics,
> terminfo et all, that you are just not getting, so this discussion is
> over, any further reply and I'll plonk you.

How could I resist replying after that? :)

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
March 31, 2005 7:03:26 AM

>>> It's a freakin' terminal emulator already. Are you making this stuff up
>>> as you go along, or what?
>>
>> Look, there are concepts here such as character sets, ansi graphics,
>> terminfo et all, that you are just not getting, so this discussion is
>> over, any further reply and I'll plonk you.
>
> How could I resist replying after that? :)

Ok, I guess my first et all was right: civil behavior. To quote one of Robin
Williams characters in a similair circumstance: I've never met a man in a
more serious need of a BJ. <plonk> Good luck finding a whipping boy child!
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:45:14 AM

On 3/29/05 10:53 PM, chuck wrote:

> Look, there are concepts here such as character sets, ansi graphics, terminfo
> et all, that you are just not getting, so this discussion is over, any
> further reply and I'll plonk you.

*plonk*

--
Kevin Wayne

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert?"
"I was misinformed."
March 31, 2005 4:30:03 PM

Chris 'Bob' Odorjan <bobnet@canada.com> wrote in news:9uqph2-
5mm.ln1@bobnet.odorjan.ca:

> On 03/29/05 10:53 PM, chuck wrote:
>
>> Look, there are concepts here such as character sets, ansi graphics,
terminfo
>> et all, that you are just not getting, so this discussion is over, any
>> further reply and I'll plonk you.
>
> What a coincidence, a lot of people were going to say the same thing to
you!

that's their problem, I see no reason in deal with his rather extensive ones.

--
lisp LIVES!!!
!