Windows gone wild

maarkr

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2012
I've never seen this before. After login, the screen said 'preparing desktop', then an ALL NEW desktop appeared with most program icons gone...black background that it would not let me change...everything was different...programs froze (malwarebytes)...libraries reset... my internet program folder missing...programs loading as new installs. It was like a brand new user was on the machine. Explorer kept crashing and restarting... when it stabilized, I could see my docs folder with a padlock on it, but I could access the files. After freaking out, I did a system restore, and it seemed OK, except Symmantec was damaged and needed repaired. Nothing was found with Symmantec, Microsoft security, or Malwarebytes.

Can anyone offer an explanation for this? Did my login profile get damaged or something? This is just a freak thing, right?

Oooo you tricked me with the title haha. I would have to say a virus most likely corrupted something or your antivirus picked it up in the middle and removed it. I've had computers similar to that ran fine but everything was locked down or didn't work, everything was hidden, internet didn't work. Ended up pulling the drove and it had over 400 infections. After removing them and popping the drive back in the computer was so messed up and ran horribly. Ended up just reinstalling and ran fine. I would say a reinstall is your best bet rather than trying for days to get everything back to normal

Actually MSE is a good free alternative for people that don't want to fork out the money for a true protection suite like BitDefender, NIS, or McAfee.

If programs are acting like they are new installs its likely that a virus got onto the computer and everything you do is being re-directed from your original user account. If you go into Control Panel and look at the User Accounts on the computer which ones are listed?