Dizzy choosing a laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombitmd

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I've been trying to look for a laptop to replace my current laptop. I try to filter out my choices by reading the reviews by users (usually at Amazon or Newegg). I only end up confusing myself further given that the reviews range from the most detailed to the two-liners. I finally decided to ask here because I believe that the experience and technical know-how of people here will be invaluable :D

So, here it goes...

1. What is your budget? USD1000 max or less (prefer less, of course)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? around 13"-14"

3. What screen resolution do you want? can play HD (1080p, i think)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable

5. How much battery life do you need? as long as possible

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? yes, but only at home when plugged in. hoping to play some FPS/strategy games, but not a priority. Recently played Company of Heroes on my old laptop at low settings; happy with it.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) video/photo editing, dvd conversion, watching movies

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I have external drives so 320GB is ok

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Am only familiar with Newegg and Amazon, but if you can direct to other sites, that is welcome, too

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years average I suppose

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Basic DVD-writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. My wife and I have ASUS laptops and they've been reliable. I'm open to other brands. Not particular about CPU, but would like a fairly powerful one that can see me thru the next 3 years

13. What country do you live in? Philippines, but will have it brought here.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

The problem I find with my current laptop is that it has a short battery life (2 hours max). I bring it everyday when I go to the clinic and use it for Internet and some other programs; no heavy computing. I would like a laptop that is portable, light, and long lasting so I don't have to bring my adapters. When I get home, or whenever I expect to do some heavy computing, then I plug in and tinker with Photoshop, maybe convert a dvd, and of course, play some games. I play FPS, RTS mostly; can live with medium settings. I intend to buy a dedicated desktop for gaming eventually.

Design is also important for me. Good and study build, too. I don't really like boxy looking laptops without any curves.

Some of the laptops I'm looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/U43JC-X1-14-I...ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1298190507&sr=1-1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220874

The Asus U series looks promising, but the differences are so small, I have a hard time knowing which I should get. Argh.

Your expert help and inputs would be greatly appreciated!

The W150HNQ w/

15.6" 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) LED
Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor, 2.0 GHz
8GB, PC3-10600/1333Mhz DDR3
320/7200rpm GB SATA-300 (SATA II 3GB/s)
8X Max. DVD±R/RW Writer/Reader / 4X Max. +DL Super-Mulit Drive
Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit
6 Cells 62.16WH Li-ION Battery
Integrated 802.11 b/g/n + Bluetooth V3.0 Combo
1 Year Premium Parts Warranty + 3 Year Labor
# Built-In 2.0M Pixel Digital Video Camera
# Built-In Fingerprint Reader
# Built-In Gigabit Ethernet LAN Card
# Built-In 3-IN-1 Flash Memory Reader(SD/Mini-SD/SDHC)
# 2 USB 3.0 Ports
# 2 USB 2.0 Ports
# 1 eSATA Port
# 1 HDMI Output
# 1 CRT port
# 1 Kensington Lock Port
# Built-in Microphone and 2 Speakers
# 3 Audio Jacks for Line-Out, Microphone-In, and S/PDIF-Out
# 100/240V Autoswitch AC Adapter

Would cost ya $1,014 delivered

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetail&model=W150HNQ

UniqueName

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Are you sure you want 1080P in 14 inches or just the ability to play 1080P content and output it over DP/HDMI? You're not going to find what you want in 13 inches.

Of the systems you listed, the Acer is faster and much more capable at games. The Asus has much better battery life and costs less. Neither one has a hi-res screen or blu-ray.

Try the HP Envy 14. As fast as the Acer and better battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.