Sign in with
Your question
Solved

need suggestions for computer peripherals.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 17, 2012 4:47:24 AM

What I'm thinking of right now:

Logitech g110 keyboard- $50
Logitech g500 mouse-$40
Razer goliathus m-size control- $20
Logitech speakers- $20

I need ideas for headsets.

I want to keep my total cost for all the peripherals around $200

Any suggestions would be great!
November 20, 2012 1:27:42 AM

Steelseries Siberia v2.
http://steelseries.com/us/products/audio/steelseries-si...

They're the most comfortable headset I've used to date and (I'm not much of an audiophile, so I can't speak from experience) are supposed to sound really good according to the reviews I've read.

The design looks a little strange, I know, but it's BRILLIANT. They barely feel like they're on your head, and this is after gaming for 8 hours straight. The microphone is a good quality and can slip into the headset for #1 easy storage and #2 discreet use if you want them to double as headphones for the bus or something.

They also come in a lot of funky colours, so you can find something to your tastes. I have the Black/Gold edition. Not too costly and I would very strongly recommend them. I've tried Turtle Beach, but many of their headsets are very uncomfortable.

The only thing that the Siberia V2 is missing, in my opinion, is a Mixamp like that included with many TB headsets. That said, these can be purchased separately if you're partial to having one; the cheap solution is Steelseries' Cross-platform Audio Mixer but for the more discerning, the Astro MIXAMP 5.8Rx comes highly recommended.

Basically, they can help with cross-platform hookups and are useful for having separate volume lines + chat hike thresholds for gaming/chat volume. I swear by them, I'm just waiting for Astro to put out its USB version sometime in the next month or two.
If you haven't used one before, you probably don't need it. Just in case you are partial that way though.

To reiterate: Best headset I can recommend, having tried the TB PX21, Steelseries 7H USB, and Siberia v2, the Siberia v2 is champ. You've got two options along with colours: USB or just 3.5mm analog. Both are nice, but I think the USB is an unnecessary cost.
m
l
November 20, 2012 1:29:43 AM

canadianvice said:
Steelseries Siberia v2.
http://steelseries.com/us/products/audio/steelseries-si...

They're the most comfortable headset I've used to date and (I'm not much of an audiophile, so I can't speak from experience) are supposed to sound really good according to the reviews I've read.

The design looks a little strange, I know, but it's BRILLIANT. They barely feel like they're on your head, and this is after gaming for 8 hours straight. The microphone is a good quality and can slip into the headset for #1 easy storage and #2 discreet use if you want them to double as headphones for the bus or something.

They also come in a lot of funky colours, so you can find something to your tastes. I have the Black/Gold edition. Not too costly and I would very strongly recommend them. I've tried Turtle Beach, but many of their headsets are very uncomfortable.

Yeah I've looked at those but I also need something that will work with Xbox 360 so I was thinking the Sennheiser u320's...

What do you think of those?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 20, 2012 1:35:19 AM

Give me a second to take a peek, in the meantime, some food for thought?
http://steelseries.com/us/products/consoles/steelseries... [Lists compatibility with XBOX]

Edit: Alright, Sennheisers:

As far as audio quality goes, I've seen that they're consistently rated as some of the best headsets you can get. It also seems to have a MIXAMP, which is a fantastic audio feature to have, especially in a cross-platform headset. The construction looks to be fairly solid, however, there is one issue I take with the headset:

The headband. It doesn't seem to have much padding, and judging by the rubber-ish parts on the headset, it's going to have some mass. I can foresee that headband digging in a bit after a longer gaming session, as my previous experiences with headsets would suggest. The microphone seems to be of a fairly solid build and has a similar design to the Px21 I used - which has very good microphone quality (I imagine Sennheiser would have moreso). That aspect of the Px21 was also one of its longer lasting ones.

As far as headsets go, it also doesn't seem to have too much articulation. From a comfort perspective, I find that's often rather trivial for the durability hit a headset takes to have it. Looks to be pretty solid, though I can't say much from personal experience as I haven't used Sennheiser before. I'm doing a bit of extrapolating.

It would seem that others agree with that, more or less. Apparently they're more comfortable than I'd have taken them for, as one of the better reviews I found puts it:

Quote:

'A sofa for your ears'. That's the marketing spiel. It's not a boast I'm about to dispute. This is the cosiest headset I've had the pleasure of wearing to date.

'Unrepeatable'. That's how I can best sum up the worst of the insults and slurs against my character heard crystal clear through the headphones. Apparently the mic works well enough for my snarling 13-year-old torturers to hear the fear in my voice as I plea and bargain to restore some dignity. I'm talking about Modern Warfare 3 of course. Everyone is, in turn, angry, frustrated and distressed when playing that game.

So we begin the ritual of the MW3 free for all. I hear them coming, their crunching footsteps encroaching. They home in on me with a vociferous blood lust. There are victims other than myself out there: "****ing lag," they scream.

As I deftly sneak around the map like a ninja cat, I spot a claymore peeking out of the ground. It's facing away from me so I shoot it to clear the path. As I do this I hear an aggressor, the claymore planter, charging around the corner and straight into the blast radius. "**** off, you ****!" he howls as I watch his warm corpse batter the wall behind like a ragdoll. Timing could not be more delicious, though I neglect to point out it was a bit of good fortune as I archaically tea bag my kill.

If this aspect of online gaming is unappealing to you, you can turn the chat volume right down. It's also easy to put the mic on mute by turning it upwards to lay along the head band. The mic isn't flexible, mind. I kinda like them bendy.

When it comes to the rather important issue of audio quality, the U320 is a good but unexceptional headset when you consider the lofty reputation of Sennheiser. It's not 7.1 (or 5.1 either) so doesn't reward you with the ultimate advantages of surround sound. It's self-restricted elsewhere, too. The cord isn't as burdensome as the one on my Turtle Beach set but it's more intrusive (and messy) than is preferable in the age of wireless. At least it's long enough.

To reach a verdict, the comfort factor can't be understated and for that reason alone I have a new go-to headset for the foreseeable future. Others will understandably demand that bit extra for this kind of money.

Also, I noticed you have the Razer Goliathus there. Just my two cents, but I really don't think it's worth the extra cost for a gaming mousepad. I picked up a$25.00CAD XL from Staples and it's done me over just fine. Here, for the curious.
November 27, 2012 4:16:45 AM

canadianvice said:
Give me a second to take a peek, in the meantime, some food for thought?
http://steelseries.com/us/products/consoles/steelseries... [Lists compatibility with XBOX]

Edit: Alright, Sennheisers:

As far as audio quality goes, I've seen that they're consistently rated as some of the best headsets you can get. It also seems to have a MIXAMP, which is a fantastic audio feature to have, especially in a cross-platform headset. The construction looks to be fairly solid, however, there is one issue I take with the headset:

The headband. It doesn't seem to have much padding, and judging by the rubber-ish parts on the headset, it's going to have some mass. I can foresee that headband digging in a bit after a longer gaming session, as my previous experiences with headsets would suggest. The microphone seems to be of a fairly solid build and has a similar design to the Px21 I used - which has very good microphone quality (I imagine Sennheiser would have moreso). That aspect of the Px21 was also one of its longer lasting ones.

As far as headsets go, it also doesn't seem to have too much articulation. From a comfort perspective, I find that's often rather trivial for the durability hit a headset takes to have it. Looks to be pretty solid, though I can't say much from personal experience as I haven't used Sennheiser before. I'm doing a bit of extrapolating.

It would seem that others agree with that, more or less. Apparently they're more comfortable than I'd have taken them for, as one of the better reviews I found puts it:

Quote:

'A sofa for your ears'. That's the marketing spiel. It's not a boast I'm about to dispute. This is the cosiest headset I've had the pleasure of wearing to date.

'Unrepeatable'. That's how I can best sum up the worst of the insults and slurs against my character heard crystal clear through the headphones. Apparently the mic works well enough for my snarling 13-year-old torturers to hear the fear in my voice as I plea and bargain to restore some dignity. I'm talking about Modern Warfare 3 of course. Everyone is, in turn, angry, frustrated and distressed when playing that game.

So we begin the ritual of the MW3 free for all. I hear them coming, their crunching footsteps encroaching. They home in on me with a vociferous blood lust. There are victims other than myself out there: "****ing lag," they scream.

As I deftly sneak around the map like a ninja cat, I spot a claymore peeking out of the ground. It's facing away from me so I shoot it to clear the path. As I do this I hear an aggressor, the claymore planter, charging around the corner and straight into the blast radius. "**** off, you ****!" he howls as I watch his warm corpse batter the wall behind like a ragdoll. Timing could not be more delicious, though I neglect to point out it was a bit of good fortune as I archaically tea bag my kill.

If this aspect of online gaming is unappealing to you, you can turn the chat volume right down. It's also easy to put the mic on mute by turning it upwards to lay along the head band. The mic isn't flexible, mind. I kinda like them bendy.

When it comes to the rather important issue of audio quality, the U320 is a good but unexceptional headset when you consider the lofty reputation of Sennheiser. It's not 7.1 (or 5.1 either) so doesn't reward you with the ultimate advantages of surround sound. It's self-restricted elsewhere, too. The cord isn't as burdensome as the one on my Turtle Beach set but it's more intrusive (and messy) than is preferable in the age of wireless. At least it's long enough.

To reach a verdict, the comfort factor can't be understated and for that reason alone I have a new go-to headset for the foreseeable future. Others will understandably demand that bit extra for this kind of money.

Also, I noticed you have the Razer Goliathus there. Just my two cents, but I really don't think it's worth the extra cost for a gaming mousepad. I picked up a$25.00CAD XL from Staples and it's done me over just fine. Here, for the curious.

I eventually went with sound blaster omega 3d's because i got them at a great price. I also dropped the razer mouse pad and got a corsair mm200 and got the g110 keyboard and the g500 mouse.

m
l
November 27, 2012 4:17:36 AM

Best answer selected by handsman.
m
l
!