Sign in with
Your question

Dual booting windows 7 ultimate x86 and windows 7 ultimate x64 on separate hdds

Last response: in Windows 7
May 8, 2010 1:19:56 PM

When I attempt to install 7Ultimate x64 on my second hdd it will not accept my selection of partition. I have 7 ultimate x86 on a wd 250Gb
hdd my secondary hdd is a wd320Gb and I have a wd 1.5 Tb for storage I want the X64 to take advantage of all my ram for certain applications. But even after changing hdd priority in the bios it won't install to the 320Gb disk any ideas on this? And by the way I've had both OS's on this computer running off the same drive on separate partitions of course, and it ran both installations perfectly.
May 8, 2010 3:28:26 PM

Is it giving an error message.

You should just be able to choose the other drive during the install.

Can the bios see the drive?
If you go to disk management in the x86 version can you see the other drive?
m
l
May 9, 2010 2:29:48 AM

Okay I solved the problem. Here's what I had to do . First I had to switch my sata cables to make sure the HDD I wanted to install to was recognized as drive 0 , then I set the Hdd priority in the BIOS to the drive I was installing to, then set the boot order for cd/dvd and viola problem solved. I appreciate That you tried to help I just plugged away and used process of elimination until I figured it out I hope this helps out anyone who runs into the same problem.
m
l
May 9, 2010 2:38:44 AM

pat mcgroin said:
Is it giving an error message.

You should just be able to choose the other drive during the install.

Can the bios see the drive?
If you go to disk management in the x86 version can you see the other drive?

Thank you for taking the time to offer to help If you read my post you'll see I solved the problem it wasn't a matter of the drive not being recognized ,it was a matter of the drive being Drive 1 I had to switch sata cables and reboot so the windows installer would see the drive as drive 0 and like I said Thank You for taking the time to reply.
m
l
Related resources
!