Sign in with
Your question

32-bit program on Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
January 18, 2013 12:42:47 AM

I have a Printmaster Platinum program which I LOVE! I have tried for hours to get this program to install on desktop Windows 7. It worked perfectly fine on the XP.
So, I purchased a newer one, Printmaster 2011...I HATE the new Printmaster 2011, just hate it.
I have tried everythink to try to install on the desktop but the Printmaster Platinum will not install on my desktop with Windows 7,,,however... it will install on my laptop with Windows 7 and works fine.
Can anyone explain this to me
and better yet, how I can install the old PP on my desktop with Windows 7? Thanks.

More about : bit program windows

a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2013 1:12:55 AM

The old program is no doubt a 16-bit program. The rule is that operating systems can go back one level, so that 64-bit operating systems will run both 64-bit programs and 32-bit ones, but not 16-bit. A 32-bit operating system like Windows XP will run both 32-bit and 16-bit programs (but not 8-bit ones). I'm betting your laptop has Windows 7 32-bit.

If your desktop copy of Windows 7 really is the 64-bit version, then you're only option is to run the old Printmaster in a Windows XP virtual machine. Install a free virtual machine environment, such as Oracle's Virtual Box, then grab a license to Windows XP, an XP install disk, and install XP as a virtual machine. Then you can start up the virtual copy of XP and install the old Printmaster. Or, if your desktop OS happens to be Windows 7 Pro, you can run Microsoft's free XP Mode, which provides you a free copy of Windows XP as a virtual machine (not available in Windows 7 Home Premium).

If your desktop OS is Windows 7 32-bit, then ignore the above and try running the program in compatibility mode for Wiindows XP. If that's the case and you need help doing that, let me know.
!