Sign in with
Your question

Will this monitor work well with my PS3? I need a second opinion

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 17, 2012 8:18:38 AM

I'm sorry I posted this in another thread as I am not used to this forum yet. THIS is where it belongs. Hi guys I am a new member here and have used this extremely informative thread to find info for a while now. I have been doing a lot of research in the past month looking for a great display for my ps3. I have decided on a monitor rather than a tv. This will be exclusively for gaming because I have a large older tv that I am perfectly happy watching cable on. The problem is that the maximum I can spend on the monitor is $200. So I am not totally knowledge in monitors, but I have a general idea of what is good and what is bad and I understand most (not all) of the termonology. After much research I have decided (almost) on buying and ASUS VS247H-P. Here are the specs.

Display
Panel Size: Wide Screen 23.6"(59.9cm) 16:9
True Resolution : 1920x1080
Full HD 1080P : Yes (support 1080i/p by 1:1)
Pixel Pitch : 0.272mm
Brightness(Max) : 300 cd/㎡
ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) : 50000000:1
Viewing Angle (CR≧10) : 170°(H)/160°(V)
Response Time : 2ms (Gray to Gray)
Display Colors : 16.7M

Video Feature
SPLENDID Video Intelligence Technology
SPLENDID Video Preset Modes : 6 Modes
Skin-Tone Selection : 3 Modes
Color Temperature Selection : 4 Modes
HDCP support
SPLENDID Video Preset Mode Selection
Auto. Adjustment
Brightness Adjustment
Contrast Adjustment
Input Selection

I/O Ports
Signal Input : HDMI , D-Sub, DVI-D

Signal Frequency
Analog Signal Frequency : 30~80 KHz(H)/ 55~75 Hz(V)
Digital Signal Frequency : 30~80 KHz(H)/ 55~75 Hz(V)

This model also has a headphone out for the HDMI signal which is perfect for me because I pretty much exclusively use headphones when gaming. It also has a game mode setting (not sure if that is important) and 5 other modes. I have read through hundreds of reviews and about 7/8ths of them are 5 star reviews and the other 1/8 reviews are beause there was a couple dead pixels, but I'm not worried about that since this monitor includes an aweome 3 year warranty. The only thing is that most of the reviews were with this connected to a pc. I want to know how it would handle on a gaming console. Even if you have not personally used it with a gaming console I would appreciate if you could look the specs over and let me know what you think. I really want to buy this tomorrow, but at the same time I'm not going to rush into anything. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out I appreciate it more than you know. Thanks -Josh

Here is a link to the ASUS page. http://ca.asus.com/en/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS247HP/#ove...
a b C Monitor
November 17, 2012 9:26:49 PM

It's a very average high-end monitor, but yes, it'll do fine.

Here's the thing though, there's not much point. To the best of my knowledge, the PS3 pushes out graphics at 30fps and 720p. Doubling those factors for the monitor just means it'll be only doing half what it could.
Related resources
November 18, 2012 2:16:20 AM

I was planning at playing at 720p with this monitor. andfor the 30 fps, does that have to do with the hz?
November 18, 2012 8:53:50 AM

95% of monitors are 60hz, this one included, it just means anything past 60fps displayed onto it will look distorted, but the Ps3 will never do this.

you should just get a cheaper 1280x720 monitor if you're just using it for PS3, a lot cheaper and will look the same
November 18, 2012 4:56:05 PM

I might just buy this one because I also watch movies on the computer and do audio recording so this would be a nice second monitor. My biggest concern was lag while playing
November 18, 2012 5:20:50 PM

Also someone told me that I am going to have to plug the monitor into a pc tower. I dont understand what he meant and he never answered me back. (this was on yahoo answers). Is that true? Couldn't I just plug my ps3 in via HDMI cable and the ps3 will automatically detect the best reolution and I can play around wth the different modes and the settings from there?
November 18, 2012 7:36:02 PM

I just ordered it so I will let you guys know how it works. If anyone has any additional info they want to put in feel free to do so(:
!