Solution
I have not gamed at 1440p, but you should find that 1440p will have a sharper image quality due to higher pixel density. There are no 1440p monitors that work at 120hz, unless you get one of those Japanese or Korean monitors that are overclocked to 100hz or better (though I hear their quality is quite poor). One problem is that 120hz requires a faster response time to prevent ghosting, and IPS monitors have poor response time.

Yes, the XL2420T has a Dual link DVI-D input (you need a dual link cable for 120hz).

As you already mentioned, going with the XL2420T requires a 3D Vision 2 kit, other than that, you shouldn't have to purchase anything, unless the monitor does not come with the dual link dvi-d cable.
I moved from a 24 to a 27 and both were 1080p. To me, its worth the extra dough to get the bigger screen. I use an ACER LED LCD and its good for what I paid for it. I wouldn't use it for photo editing (although I do, lol) as its not ideal for that, but its great for games, very bright. I have used many brands of LCDs and usually recommend Samsung. This is the one I would go with, pretty expensive, but you pay for that 3D capability http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001472

nafoni

Honorable
May 18, 2012
27" are obviously bigger, and usually has bigger resolutions as well. More expensive.

In my opinion, 27" is just too big.

You have a very powerful GPU (and are considering SLI), so I would recommend getting a 120Hz monitor, allowing you to take advantage of the high framerates you should get in games. There's especially two ~24" 120Hz monitors I can recommend:
1. Samsung S23A700D. I own this one myself. It's 23" (no difference at all if you ask me), 120Hz and probably the cheapest 120Hz I've ever seen (at least here in Norway).

2. BenQ XL2420T. I don't own this one myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. 24", 120Hz. From what I can remember it's a bit heavier and more adjustable. I've seen this go for quite a bit higher price than the first one I mentioned, but not in this case.

As for 3D - personal preference. I have absolutely no interest in 3D at all, and from what I've heard gaming with 3D is not exactly ideal.

By the way, my S23A700D came with 3D glasses. Not sure how that is with the XL2420T.

billybiff

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
it depends if you want a high res 27" 2550 x 1440 or the standard hd screen, i think if you want a standard hd screen then its just down to how big or how far you sit from it. if you sit close then a smaller is fine. i like the screen to fill your feild of view.

1) 24"vs 27" depends on viewing distance. I sit about 2' from my monitor and the 23" size is perfect. If I had a 27" I would have to move my neck a lot to see everything. Also, if my desk had more depth then I think a 27" would be great. I could have 2 internet windows open without having to resize them. However, if I had the money to drop, I'd rather have 3 24" monitors.
Most 24" monitors have 1200p, but I wouldn't buy a 27" with less than 1440p.

2)for gaming, Asus seems to be the most popular. I went Dell for the image quality.

3)no idea.

I moved from a 24 to a 27 and both were 1080p. To me, its worth the extra dough to get the bigger screen. I use an ACER LED LCD and its good for what I paid for it. I wouldn't use it for photo editing (although I do, lol) as its not ideal for that, but its great for games, very bright. I have used many brands of LCDs and usually recommend Samsung. This is the one I would go with, pretty expensive, but you pay for that 3D capability http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001472

I have an Acer and I didn't buy it for image quality. It's horrible compared to my Dell. ($280 vs $100)

As of today, I still think 3D capability is a fad. I doubt many people use it more than 5% of the time.

btw, the Samsung monitor you linked is one of the ugliest designs I've seen. It's a good monitor but Samsung messed up the design. Hideous!

As far as which monitor is for you all depends Response Rate

The response rate of an LCD monitor refers to how quickly each pixel on the screen can change color. The lower the response rate, the faster the screen updates. If you are playing fast-paced action game for example, where the images change quickly, if you're playing on a monitor with a slower response rate, you may experience what is known as "ghosting". Ghosting happens when the previous image displayed on the screen can still be seen as a blur for moments after the image has changed.

When choosing the best gaming monitor, the response rate is perhaps the single most important factor to consider. Ghosting and motion blur can ruin your overall gaming experience. The faster the response rate of your monitor, the less ghosting you will see.

I would say that an LCD with a response rate of 5ms is the minimum for gaming. Lower than 5ms is better of course (remember that the lower, the faster), and the very best gaming monitors on the market have extremely fast response rates such as 2ms and lower to avoid any ghosting/blur issues completely.

LED vs LCD Monitors

LED monitors are the exact same as LCD monitors, except they use LED backlighting which provides some advantages such as a brighter and sharper display, thinner screen, and lower power usage.

LED monitors currently cost a little more than a standard LCD, but if you want the best gaming monitor then I would definitely suggest you buy one. If not, a standard LCD monitor with a good response rate will do just fine.

What Size Monitor?

Ultimately, the size you go for is totally up to you and how much you're willing to spend. Obviously the larger the screen, the more expensive it will be, but for the best gaming monitor experience I would suggest at least 19", and go for a widescreen LCD if you can. Nothing beats gaming on a nice, decent-sized widescreen monitor.

If you want the most immersive gaming experience possible and you have the money to spend, go for a quality 23" or 24" screen, or even 25" and above. After gaming on such a massive screen you won't ever want to go back to a smaller screen!

Contrast Ratio

The contrast ratio of a monitor can be a helpful spec to generally compare picture quality between different monitors. In general, the higher the contrast ratio, the better the picture quality.

With high contrast ratios your screen can produce deeper black levels, which creates a more immersive and visually sharp experience. Keep in mind that the contrast ratio isn't always an accurate measure of image quality, so don't use it solely to compare two monitors as there's more to it than that.

Viewing Angle

If you look at an LCD monitor from an angle, you will notice that the image appears dimmer and the colors can look weird. At extreme angles the entire image can even disappear. The viewing angle of an LCD monitor is the angle at which you can still view the screen clearly, and is usually listed in the monitor's specifications list.

The greater the viewing angle, the better, but for gamers the viewing angle doesn't really matter because you are looking directly at the screen the whole time. But there are some people who will consider the viewing angle important, for example if you need to show presentations with your LCD monitor.

Matte vs Glossy Screens There are two kinds of modern LCD screens: matte (anti-glare) and glossy. Both have their pros and cons and are a subject of many discussions.

Matte screens don't get glare or reflections on them; however, the same rough surface (polarizer) that reduces the intensity of reflected light results in less contrast and brightness since the light from the LCD screen has to pass through it. Matte screens diffuse light instead of reflecting it so they might be easier to read outdoors, if the backlight provides enough brightness. You don't have to worry about reflections unlike with a glossy screen. One of the downsides of a strong anti-glare coating in matte displays is a grainy "crystalline" pattern which is mostly visible when viewing text on a white background.

Glossy screens have vibrant colors and high contrast and brightness because they have a smooth, high-gloss surface. As a result, it is often the choice for movies or gaming. However, strong lighting sources in the environment cause glare on these screens which is not only annoying, but can also cause eye strain and pain. If the lighting isn't adequate, you will also see distracting reflections on the screen. Some graphics designers may find the colors inaccurate, although that mostly depends on the LCD matrix. Glossy will work great for you if the lighting in your room doesn't create any glare on the screen. 120Hz
Why a 120Hz Refresh Rate Computer Monitor?
120Hz Vs. 60Hz
120 Hz vs. 60Hz Refresh Rate - Source: BenQBoth response time, the time it takes for a pixel to go from black to white and back again, and input lag, the difference in time that it takes for you to input a command into your computer and see it displayed, are very well-known terms in the gaming community. Few gamers think about the impact that a higher refresh rate will have on their game.

What is Refresh Rate?

Refresh rate is basically the amount of times in a second that a monitor will draw the data which it receives. Most TN and IPS panel monitors have a 60Hz refresh rate. In order to really see all the advantages that come with a 120Hz display you should be gaming at an FPS well above 60.If you're looking for the best 3D monitor that will also play great in 2D, then you should choose between the BenQ XL2420T and the ASUS VG278H. Both incorporate nVidia's 3D Vision 2 with 3D LightBoost which greatly improves the overall 3D experience.

While the BenQ doesn't disappoint as far as specifications with a 2ms response time, 120Hz refresh rate, low input lag, and a great picture, The XL2420T comes with a lot of other features built-in to this monitor specifically for gamers including FPS Mode, RTS Mode, Intuitive OSD, S. Switch;Height Adjustment, and Game Mode Loader.

If you just want this monitor for the 2D technology, then you might want to consider its predecessor, XL2410T, which is significantly cheaper and has many of the same features as the XL2420T, but has nVidia 3D Vision rather than 3D Vision 2.

Benefits of 120Hz:

1. Details are more crisp, smoothly rendered, and lifelike.
2. More Responsive
Kick Ass Gaming Monitors

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063BM5NK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hhmsquiddiscount-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0063BM5NK
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006HIKIG0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hhmsquiddiscount-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006HIKIG0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z75LX0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hhmsquiddiscount-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004Z75LX0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035KC3R0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=httpwwwnearbu-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0035KC3R0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V4AK2K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=httpwwwnearbu-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003V4AK2K
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2711-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B0039648BO/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1

I'm about ready to buy my new monitor, and I was dead set on the ASUS VG278HE however upon going into a computer store and briefly looking at the monitors I noticed that the screen on a 27" monitor is insane. The taskbar for example is like a half inch bigger than a 24" monitor and everything is just insane big. I don't know if this depends on the monitor or you could change it but it's a massive turn off for me. I want something that isn't going to take me a very long time getting used to as I've been using a 19" monitor for a long time. The 24" monitors looked like a perfect fit for everything and the size looked like I could get used to it very quickly.

With that being said, I have a couple questions.

1) What are the main differences between a 24" monitor and 27" monitor

2) What are the best 24" or 27" monitors

3) Is nvidea 3D v2 worth it? It's something I'm very interested in, and I'm willing to buy the glasses, but I need to know if there are a decent amount of games that support 3d. Also could I watch movies in 3d or do other things with the 3d?

My specs:
CPU: i7 3770k
GPU: Zotac AMP gtx 680 (I will SLI when I buy 3d glasses)
RAM: 8gb 1866
MOBO: Z77 Sabertooth
PSU: 850w gold certified

I have a 27" and my taskbar is only a half inch thick to begin with. Unless that 24" was 1440p, there must have been different settings. Windows has customizing tools to make everything bigger, which had to be the difference, as there is only a 11% increase in size going from 24 to 27.

1) For me, the main difference is immersion. When you game, you feel more like you are in the action, as more of your view is taken up by the screen.

2) The two you chose are good, possibly the best. I personally prefer the 144hz monitor, as it allows for 72hz gaming in 3D (kit sold separately).

3) I don't know for certain, as I have only used a 3d Vision 1 monitor, however, they built this one with insane brightness levels (normal usage is best used at 30% brightness, but goes to 100% in 3D gaming). The brightness is very good, but from my understanding, most if not all other 3D Vision 1 monitors can be very dark while gaming, making it hard to see details in dark scenes. 3D Vision 2 made it standard for extreme brightness levels by the use of lightboost.

^^^

Many times you cannot view the monitor in person because no retail stores carries them. While it is a good idea to view a monitor in person many times it is not possible. Of the 4 LCD monitors that I have bought, none are sold at a store in the vicinity where I live.

Bought my Dell based on reviews only! Best $280 I ever spent. Most stores crank up the brightness and try to trick you with eye candy. It looks wow, but when you bring it home and look at it you think..what the F***.

Read reviews and narrow down your scope. If you can, find it in a store, but trust reviews but not just one.

ram1009

Distinguished
When talking about screen size of a monitor there is a point of diminishing returns which will vary with each individual. There are only so many pixels and the bigger the screen the farther apart they are. At some point viewing becomes uncomfortable. Only you can decide.

I have a 27" and my taskbar is only a half inch thick to begin with. Unless that 24" was 1440p, there must have been different settings. Windows has customizing tools to make everything bigger, which had to be the difference, as there is only a 11% increase in size going from 24 to 27.

1) For me, the main difference is immersion. When you game, you feel more like you are in the action, as more of your view is taken up by the screen.

2) The two you chose are good, possibly the best. I personally prefer the 144hz monitor, as it allows for 72hz gaming in 3D (kit sold separately).

3) I don't know for certain, as I have only used a 3d Vision 1 monitor, however, they built this one with insane brightness levels (normal usage is best used at 30% brightness, but goes to 100% in 3D gaming). The brightness is very good, but from my understanding, most if not all other 3D Vision 1 monitors can be very dark while gaming, making it hard to see details in dark scenes. 3D Vision 2 made it standard for extreme brightness levels by the use of lightboost.

Not sure how you came about your math for finding the size difference in the 24 vs 27 inch monitor, but you are wrong. the 27 inch monitor will be 26.56% bigger than the 24 inch, assuming they are both 16:9 ratio. Here is a handy site you can use in the future so you don't give out false info. http://www.displaywars.com/24-inch-16x9-vs-27-inch-16x9

Not sure how you came about your math for finding the size difference in the 24 vs 27 inch monitor, but you are wrong. the 27 inch monitor will be 26.56% bigger than the 24 inch, assuming they are both 16:9 ratio. Here is a handy site you can use in the future so you don't give out false info. http://www.displaywars.com/24-inch-16x9-vs-27-inch-16x9

27/24 = 1.125

That is a 11.25% increase. Now, if you look at total area increase, then yeah, it's larger, but when he mentioned the bar was 1/2" thicker, he's looking at a single dimension, which means it's only 11.25% increase.

Note: the single dimension increase square is the area increase. 1.125 * 1.125 = 1.2656 or a 26.56% increase in area.

27/24 = 1.125

That is a 11.25% increase. Now, if you look at total area increase, then yeah, it's larger, but when he mentioned the bar was 1/2" thicker, he's looking at a single dimension, which means it's only 11.25% increase.

Note: the single dimension increase square is the area increase. 1.125 * 1.125 = 1.2656 or a 26.56% increase in area.

Ok I see what you were trying to say now, I just think of size as well... area... maybe thickness would have been a better word to use. Anyway sorry about the miss understanding :) carry on!

Edit: and yes i understand where you got the 11% from just didn't understand how you were applying it to "size" but you meant thickness, so yea misunderstanding.

Ok I see what you were trying to say now, I just think of size as well... area... maybe thickness would have been a better word to use. Anyway sorry about the miss understanding :) carry on!

Edit: and yes i understand where you got the 11% from just didn't understand how you were applying it to "size" but you meant thickness, so yea misunderstanding.

It's all good.

Actually the 27 inch would be 12.5% longer and taller... but the 24 inch would be 11.25% shorter and thinner than the 27 inch. So Actually, No it isn't :)

27/24 clearly uses 24 as the base. I had the right numbers, but I did add an extra digit on accident when changing it to an increase percentage.

So yeah, it's a 12.5% increase, however, going the other way is 100% - 24/27 is 11.11% decrease.

tydalwave

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
I actually have the Asus VG278HE. I "upgraded" from two Acer P24W 2ms (GTG) 1920x1200 panels. I regret the move. I even got the 3d Vision to give it a try, and although I do actually like it, it's not GREAT, but will give me a reason to reply some older games. If you go to the nVidia website, they let you know about 500+ compatible games, and what is nice, even if one isn't listed, it will work, you will just have to mess with some settings.

Reason I'm not impressed, is the 1080 vs 1200 aspect. It is VERY noticeable when it comes to the pixelization (sp). Everything is very pixelated I mean. And although I do game 80% of the time on my desktop, I do use it for Word/Excel web stuff and picture viewing. Which brings me to the very worst part of the Asus VG278HE. It's the color 'washout'. It's absolutly horrible compared to my aging-yet-better quality 2007 year panels. If anything, this was a backwards move. Don't get me wrong though, the 144hz gaming (i.e. 120hz due to my single 680 and 2700K not being able to maintain anything over 120 fps in multiplayer) in my main game BF3, is great. "Twitch" gaming as they call it, is really great. One reviewer on Newegg said that his K/D ratio got better with the 120hz, and I can see that. I'm doing much better at 'quick-reaction' stuff in BF3. Just not worth the premium at this time. 1440 with 120+hz is going to be the way to go in the future, just going to have to wait.

Mothakes

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
I have a 27" AOC 1080p 2770VH1 in great shape that I'm selling for $180 shipped, PM me if interested.

Photo29.jpg

I actually have the Asus VG278HE. I "upgraded" from two Acer P24W 2ms (GTG) 1920x1200 panels. I regret the move. I even got the 3d Vision to give it a try, and although I do actually like it, it's not GREAT, but will give me a reason to reply some older games. If you go to the nVidia website, they let you know about 500+ compatible games, and what is nice, even if one isn't listed, it will work, you will just have to mess with some settings.

Reason I'm not impressed, is the 1080 vs 1200 aspect. It is VERY noticeable when it comes to the pixelization (sp). Everything is very pixelated I mean. And although I do game 80% of the time on my desktop, I do use it for Word/Excel web stuff and picture viewing. Which brings me to the very worst part of the Asus VG278HE. It's the color 'washout'. It's absolutly horrible compared to my aging-yet-better quality 2007 year panels. If anything, this was a backwards move. Don't get me wrong though, the 144hz gaming (i.e. 120hz due to my single 680 and 2700K not being able to maintain anything over 120 fps in multiplayer) in my main game BF3, is great. "Twitch" gaming as they call it, is really great. One reviewer on Newegg said that his K/D ratio got better with the 120hz, and I can see that. I'm doing much better at 'quick-reaction' stuff in BF3. Just not worth the premium at this time. 1440 with 120+hz is going to be the way to go in the future, just going to have to wait.

Sorry to hear your story, however, you may be able to help your pixelation with the use of cleartype, which is basically a form of AA applied to text. You may also be able to find software online to help you adjust the colors.

Oh, and don't forget to lower the brightness levels on that monitor (which would make it look washed out). It was meant for 3D Vision 2, which means it is very bright.