YAAP Slashdot-Val-Hum-Fem-Neu Polyless

This game was mostly characterised by how easy it was. No early wands
of wishing, but pretty much everything else was laid on. I dived to
minetown first, and found no less than three bones files there,
including two characters (Chilly the wizard, and someone, the uh,
someone) that were obsessive packrats. Both of them had died to the
watch captain, meaning there wasn't even any hostile monsters to clean
out. Chilly had also died just inside the door of a shop, which lead to
some interesting and exploitable shopkeeper behaviour (they don't want
to step on graves, it seems). I scored a raft of wands, rings, potions,
scrolls and amulets (no less than 10!), as well as the usual haul of
cursed armour. The [oMR was uncursed, and I promptly donned it, and a
little fooling around with holy water and protection racketeering later
(the priest was co-aligned), my armour class had improved to a quite
reasonable -16. I then sacrificed until I was given Mojo.

I decided to go for mines end, and was greeted by a pyrolisk downstairs
that fried a few of my mostly un-ided scrolls and potions. Killed him,
and then came across ANOTHER bones file. A wizard with +2 silver dragon
scale mail, magicbane and a uncursed bag of holding. Oh well, don't
mind if I do...

Grabbed the luckstone, and then sacrificed some more in the feeble hope
of getting FB or GS. No dice, although I did get nearly every other
single available artifact weapon. By the end of the game, I'd seen
Werebane, Dragonbane, Ogresmasher, Trollbane, Firebrand, Magicbane as
well as the ever-faithful Mojo. Fearing poison accidents, I hung around
until I got crowned, and then dived for the castle.

On the way down, saw another *two* bones files, both of which were
tourists. Lifted a pair of speed boots, gauntlets of power, as well as
quite a few scrolls of magic mapping and a magic marker. I blessed up
some unlabeled scrolls, and wrote identify to ID the rings and amulets.
Life-saving amulet, a blessed +5 ring of gain constitution and ring of
free action. Hmmm, yes. Very tasty. I also grabbed the hawaiian shirt,
which was a little useless - I hadn't found enchant armour by the this
point. Think my AC was around the -23 mark at this stage, more than
sufficent for the castle, and ridiculous considering I hadn't enchanted
any of it. I was still using my small shield and Mojo at this point,
and Hammer was advanced to expert.

I let a group of winter wolves create me a nice bridge across to
medusa's island, mainly because it looked cool (I'd found boots of
levitation by this point), and killed her ugliness with no problems.
Peresus had a shield of reflection, which I swapped with my now
thoroughly burnt small shield. Wand of opening took care of the castle
drawbridge. I didn't wake the soldiers, so the castle was a joke
monster-wise, and thrown Mojo combined with greased cloak meant no
problems from the marine life. The wand was (0:2), and I finally found
a scoll of enchant armour off a soldier's corpse (I was desperate
enough just to read scrolls by this point), so I wished for a magic
marker and got down to the business of enchanting my ascension kit.
Swapped the shield out for a silver sabre taken off a captain.
Enchanted Mojo and the Sabre to +6, switched to two-weapon combat.
Naked AC 0 meant that my AC was -36 by the time I was finished. Smirk,
smirk, smirk.

Rest of the game was rather predictably boring. Went back upstairs and
polished off the quest with no troubles (Lord Surtur is ridiculously
weak), took my bell and the Orb of Excruciating Heaviness. Gehennom was
it's usual boring self, and I bought off most of the demon princes.
Disposed of Orcus before he could use his wand, and found another /oD
shortly thereafter. Yawn. I dug out Gehennom so there was a straight
path between the staircases, then paid Vlad a visit for my
complementary amulet of life-saving and the candlebrum. Found the
vibrating square, engraved Elbereth (the only time I ever use the
E-word), dropped the items of invocation. I invoked the orb to get out
of Gehennom, fixed and blessed my stuff, and hung around my altar and
stash for a while hoping for GS... with a predictable lack of success.

Dived back down into Gehennom. Annihilated the wizard with my wand of
death (first shot!), grabbed the book and did the invocation. I
cowardly slipped on my ring of conflict, and waltzed happily towards
the high priest. The door was a serious pain to find, as always, but I
got in the door eventually and grabbed my prize. I named the Amulet THE
REAL THING, BABY, and then commenced the run for the surface.

I really hate the mysterious force, and it didn't disappoint. Thrown
back four times in a row was my record, and I was getting rather peeved
by the end. Didn't see the wizard again until the castle, where I
killed him again with a single shot from my /oD. Ascended to Dlvl 1,
wrote four scrolls of gold detection, checked that the amulet didn't
want to fit in the bag (I have made that mistake before.), and climbed.

Zapped the wizard... who died in one shot. Confused myself with the
spell "Cause fear" which I'd learnt at around T:1000, and used the
minotaur's wand to get to the portal. Air gave me no trouble, and
likewise for fire. I managed to get myself SURROUNDED by krakens on
water, which lost me one of my amulets of life-saving, and then went to
astral.

Conflict made Astral a joke. All three riders died in two hits, which
was good since the altar was the last one I checked.

What do you want to sacrifice? [hW or ?*] W
You offer the Amulet of Yendor to Odin [...]
You ascend to the status of Demigoddess

3.4.0 3739872 7 -5 52 210 210 1 20050320 20050303 1 Val Hum Fem Neu
Slashdot,ascended

Yay! All clases except for V and S to go... :D

On Sun, 19 Mar 2005, flamearrows@gmail.com wrote:

> Rest of the game was rather predictably boring. Went back upstairs and
> polished off the quest with no troubles (Lord Surtur is ridiculously
> weak), took my bell and the Orb of Excruciating Heaviness. Gehennom was

> Zapped the wizard... who died in one shot. Confused myself with the
> spell "Cause fear" which I'd learnt at around T:1000, and used the
> minotaur's wand to get to the portal. Air gave me no trouble, and
> likewise for fire. I managed to get myself SURROUNDED by krakens on
> water, which lost me one of my amulets of life-saving, and then went to
> astral.

Why didn't you use the Orb to detect ^ ? Too low INT ?

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

>Why didn't you use the Orb to detect ^ ? Too low INT ?

And an unwillingness to be frozen in place for any length of time. 16
charges from a magic marker and 4 blank scrolls are cheap

--
flamearrows