Notebook without a screen. options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamhaze

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Hey boys and girls!

I have an HP Compaq presario v3030ca and the lcd screen is busted. I tried some tinkering around and had to end up scrapping the screen..i cut the screen off and bid it good riddance. I was wondering if there was anything i could do to keep using it. I don't know if the video card is shot. i can't seem to get external vga to work. so i'm running it blind. any ideas? Thanks!

warren024

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011

I recommend ductape and saran wrap - or a garbage bag. It works for car windows, I don't see why it wouldn't work for your laptop. Honestly, unless you are dead broke, I wouldn't even bother trying to replace the screen. It's far less hassle to simply replace your system - plus you can upgrade from that compaq.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
I remove the display from damaged notebooks often when the display costs too much to be effective for the user..
If you dissassemble the unit enough to remove all the cabling from its connectors (dont cut it! it can create a short and kill the rest of the system !) and re-assemble ( preserve the wireless antennae if possible, can re-position on the edge of the notebook where the screen was.
Power up with a VGA connected and turned on, it should POST with the external monitor and allow run the system.
Sometimes it will look like it is not working until the Windows OS comes up, but may be in fact working, so dont get impatient.
I use them a lot for desktop replacements or linux appliances..

Status
Not open for further replies.