Question about Returning weapons

Last response: in Video Games
March 3, 2005 11:41:48 AM

A player in the game I DM has expressed interest in getting a Returning
weapon, so I looked into it.

I confess I'm not in love with the mechanic for that weapon special ability
as described in the DMG, particularly the part about the weapon returning
at the start of the thrower's next turn.

My question is what is the status of the weapon in the intervening time? Is
it in the target's space? Does it drop? Is it floating there? Or is it
flying back to the thrower? Say I throw the weapon at a target that
realizes that the weapon is Returning. Can the target pick up or snatch the
weapon on its turn? If so, how does that affect the weapon returning to the
thrower?

My gut instinct is that the weapon returns and the target can't do anything
about it, but a lot can happen in a round while the weapon is out of the
thrower's hand, so I honestly don't know.

Finally, this isn't so much a question as an observation, but I think the
3.5 change that a Returning weapon returns to the space from which it was
thrown and not to the thrower is kinda lame. Not very Mjolnir-like anyway.

Thanks,

S. Wulf
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 10:49:37 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:41:48 GMT, swulf@serifet.org (Stan Wulf) wrote:

>Finally, this isn't so much a question as an observation, but I think the
>3.5 change that a Returning weapon returns to the space from which it was
>thrown and not to the thrower is kinda lame. Not very Mjolnir-like anyway.

AOL

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:41:48 GMT, swulf@serifet.org (Stan Wulf) scribed
into the ether:

>A player in the game I DM has expressed interest in getting a Returning
>weapon, so I looked into it.
>
>I confess I'm not in love with the mechanic for that weapon special ability
>as described in the DMG, particularly the part about the weapon returning
>at the start of the thrower's next turn.
>
>My question is what is the status of the weapon in the intervening time? Is
>it in the target's space? Does it drop? Is it floating there? Or is it
>flying back to the thrower?

Flying back to the owner. A combat round is only 6 seconds. Wind up for the
throw, aiming, and flight time back and forth easily consume that.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:36:09 PM

Anivair wrote:
> Mark Blunden wrote:
>>Hong Ooi wrote:
>>>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:41:48 GMT, swulf@serifet.org (Stan Wulf)
>>it as a simple Dimension Door effect instead of a Telekinesis effect, the
>>weapon disappearing from its landing place and appearing in the thrower's
>>hand at the start of the next round.
> This is what I do as well. the weapon stops being where it is and
> appears in the wielder's hand provided they are close enough.

If someone catches it, like as if it was just a regular thrown dagger or hand
axe, would it dissapear from the target's grasp or is there a stuggle for it?
--
"... to satisfy the honours and place, I had to leave her in silence ..."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>