Way too much HEAT

G

My Tbird runs at 1000MHz and idles at 58 degrees C, which if far too much in my opinion... My ? too you is, "what does your Tbird@1000-1200 run at??? And can anyone help me get the temp down?

ps. the temp is mesured by the ASUS cpu diode sitting under the cpu, not much cooling down there. could that be it?..

My system specs are...
Tbird@1000, multi locked at 7.5, FSB 133 Mhz, Vcore 1.75v.
Asus A7V133 board with 512 MB 133 SDram.
Coolers = 1 FOB-32.1 on the cpu with ample grease
1 Blue orb on my Geforce2mx from ASUS
1 intake 60mm fan case cooling
1 outtake 60mm fan case cooling
2 HD coolers
1 IBM 40 Gbyte
1 seagate 40 Gbyte
1 SB live
1 netcard
1 cd-rom
all inside a Aopen tower HQ08 blue Case..

Hope you can help..

Just Remember, "If you where any other man, I would kill you where you stand..."

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
58 degrees is way too high. I have the same heatsink, running a 1.33GHz at 41 degrees.

"Ample grease" is not good. The thermal grease should be a paper-thin layer--any more, and it becomes an insulator, which is worse than having no thermal grease at all.

Also make sure that pink pad on the bottom of your FOP32 is removed. The pink pad is worthless.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

G

The pink pad is gone. And I'll try with less grease, but when I say ample I mean enought to get the job done, I applied a bit so that it covert just the cpu core, but I wouldn't call it paper thin... Could that really be the 20 degree C difference, just the grease???

Just Remember, "If you where any other man, I would kill you where you stand..."

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I don't know if it would cause that much difference--but it might. What is your ambient case temperature, btw?

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

G

Just around 40 C..

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Yikes that's a bit high! My case temperature is about 23 C. With a case at that ambient temperature, it's not such a surprise that the CPU is getting that warm...

...which directions are your case fans blowing? The traditional airflow in an ATX tower is for one or more fans to suck air in through the front of the case, below the drives, and the power supply fan to exhaus the air out the back. Optionally, some cases have a space in the back of the case, below the power supply, for another exhaust fan. Good overclockers' cases also have a fan on the left side panel sucking air in.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

G

I have air comming in from the front and the back of the case both situated at groundlevel and one fans exhausting in the back top of the case, also i have coolers on both harddisks. It seems that i made a serious newbie mistake turning the top exhaus fan so it blow into the case, that has been corrected now, also i have sliced my ATA100 cables into thin lines and wrapped the with some tape so they now have a rounded look to them and allows more airflow thought the case, my case temp is now down to 27 C but my CPU temp only went down 2 C now at 57 C... It would seem that a factor to my problem is the mobo a ASUS A7V133 it has its temp gauge down under the CPU and according to a reply from AMD the temp between the bottom of the CPU and the die itself is about 30 C if that's true then my CPU temp is OK... Is your temp gauge situated under the CPU or over it?

Read the faq.pdf file I got by email from AMD here..
http://mangohead.subnet.dk/faq.pdf