What happened to the door?

Ok, Im in minetown, with all the shops and shopkeepers, and have a
handy bunch of pets (Earth Elemental, Hell Hound, baby dragon (white I
think, maybe blue), and storm giant), so I get them to take care of
the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly the
gold so I can buy protection), do that to all the shopkeepers, then
decide to lock all my pets in one of the stores so they dont attack
the (alligned) priest before Im done with her (I know this wont stop
the Earth Elemental, but I thought it would stop the rest), and also
close and lock the temple for good mesure, when before I know it the
door to the temple is destroyed by something, and there are all my
pets! I thought it must have been an enemy wand, but I checked the
room they were locked in, and that door was also destroyed! So how did
both these doors get destroyed, especially since pets dont use breath
attacks (not sure if they would destroy doors anyway)? Any answers
would be greatly appreciated
47 answers Last reply
More about what happened door

    Mark wrote:
    > Ok, Im in minetown, with all the shops and shopkeepers, and have a
    > handy bunch of pets (Earth Elemental, Hell Hound, baby dragon (white I
    > think, maybe blue), and storm giant), so I get them to take care of
    > the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly the
    > gold so I can buy protection), do that to all the shopkeepers, [...]

    Wait a minute... ALL the shopkeepers? As in, INCLUDING Izchak?!

    Audible gasp!

    Refer to r.g.r.n FAQ:

    4.12Q: I killed a shopkeeper named Izchak, why is everyone so
    mad at me?

    4.12A:

    Izchak Miller, one of the founding members of the DevTeam, passed away
    on April 1, 1994 from complications due to cancer. As he was
    responsible for, among other things, much of the shopkeeper logic, the
    owner of the lighting shop was named for him as a tribute. The DevTeam
    dedicated version 3.2 of NetHack to the memory of Izchak Miller. Many
    players who will happily slay everything else that moves will spare
    Izchak's life as a sign of respect.

    For a little more info, including a post from Izchak's
    daughter, check out the following thread from 1996 in rgrn:
    <http://www.google.co.uk/groups?th=714fda729e8182a7>

    --
    ____ (__)
    / \ (oo) -Shadow
    |Moo. > \/
    \____/

    I've never seen anyone actually get angry about this.

    mdmota@yahoo.com.au (Mark) was moved to say:

    >so I get them to take care of
    >the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly the
    >gold so I can buy protection),

    The main question aside (because I don't know the answer), I'd just
    like to say that it's not necessary to slaughter shopkeepers to get
    their money. A nice dog or cat who has been trained for shoplifting
    will do just fine ... doggie brings out all the stuff, you just walk
    back in and sell it, wash, rinse, repeat.

    -

    JPD

    SGFN

    JPD wrote:
    > mdmota@yahoo.com.au (Mark) was moved to say:
    >

    >>so I get them to take care of
    >>the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly the
    >>gold so I can buy protection),
    >

    > The main question aside (because I don't know the answer), I'd just
    > like to say that it's not necessary to slaughter shopkeepers to get
    > their money. A nice dog or cat who has been trained for shoplifting
    > will do just fine ... doggie brings out all the stuff, you just walk
    > back in and sell it, wash, rinse, repeat.

    Killing shopkeepers is MUCH faster.

    --
    ____ (__)
    / \ (oo) -Shadow
    \____/

    James Aguilar wrote:

    > I've never seen anyone actually get angry about this.

    About what? Context, please! Yes, I *know* that it's possible to find out
    what you're talking about by searching through old messages, but that's
    not the way newsgroups work.

    Raisse, killed by a system shock

  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Shadow wrote:

    > Mark wrote:
    >> Ok, Im in minetown, with all the shops and shopkeepers, and have a
    >> handy bunch of pets (Earth Elemental, Hell Hound, baby dragon
    >> (white I think, maybe blue), and storm giant), so I get them to
    >> take care of the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies,
    >> but mainly the gold so I can buy protection), do that to all the
    >> shopkeepers, [...]
    >
    > Wait a minute... ALL the shopkeepers? As in, INCLUDING Izchak?!
    >
    > Audible gasp!
    >
    > Refer to r.g.r.n FAQ:
    >
    > 4.12Q: I killed a shopkeeper named Izchak, why is everyone so
    > mad at me?

    Not everybody cares or is of the same opinion. It really should read:
    Why are some people mad at me?(or even most but certainly not
    everybody.)

    Jorge
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Mark wrote:

    > Ok, Im in minetown, with all the shops and shopkeepers, and have a
    > handy bunch of pets (Earth Elemental, Hell Hound, baby dragon (white
    > I think, maybe blue), and storm giant), so I get them to take care
    > of the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly
    > the gold so I can buy protection), do that to all the shopkeepers,
    > then decide to lock all my pets in one of the stores so they dont
    > attack the (alligned) priest before Im done with her (I know this
    > wont stop the Earth Elemental, but I thought it would stop the
    > rest), and also close and lock the temple for good mesure, when
    > before I know it the door to the temple is destroyed by something,
    > and there are all my pets!

    Your pet Storm Giant knocked down the doors. Only pet Titans leave
    doors intact.

    Jorge
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    jorge estrada wrote:

    > Your pet Storm Giant knocked down the doors. Only pet Titans leave
    > doors intact.

    Pet newts do, as well. :-)

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    JPD wrote:
    > mdmota@yahoo.com.au (Mark) was moved to say:
    >

    >>so I get them to take care of
    >>the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly the
    >>gold so I can buy protection),
    >

    > The main question aside (because I don't know the answer), I'd just
    > like to say that it's not necessary to slaughter shopkeepers to get
    > their money. A nice dog or cat who has been trained for shoplifting
    > will do just fine ... doggie brings out all the stuff, you just walk
    > back in and sell it, wash, rinse, repeat.

    That can take a looooooong time, especially if it's a food shoppe, etc.

    Big pets have a very high rate of return over a short term - a good
    investment ;-)

    --LWM
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <TgY%d.31747$db6.28221@trndny02>, Little White Mouse <lwm@verizon.net> writes:
    > JPD wrote:
    >> mdmota@yahoo.com.au (Mark) was moved to say:
    >>

    >>>so I get them to take care of
    >>>the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly the
    >>>gold so I can buy protection),
    >>

    >> The main question aside (because I don't know the answer), I'd just
    >> like to say that it's not necessary to slaughter shopkeepers to get
    >> their money. A nice dog or cat who has been trained for shoplifting
    >> will do just fine ... doggie brings out all the stuff, you just walk
    >> back in and sell it, wash, rinse, repeat.
    >
    > That can take a looooooong time, especially if it's a food shoppe, etc.

    Put the food into a doggie bag.

    John Briggs
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Raisse the Thaumaturge" <raisse@valdyas.org> wrote in message
    > James Aguilar wrote:
    >
    >> I've never seen anyone actually get angry about this.
    >
    > About what? Context, please! Yes, I *know* that it's possible to find out
    > what you're talking about by searching through old messages, but that's
    > not the way newsgroups work.

    About people killing Izchac.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    James Aguilar wrote:
    > Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
    > > James Aguilar wrote:
    >
    > > > I've never seen anyone actually get angry about this.
    >
    > > About what? Context, please! Yes, I *know* that it's possible to
    find out
    > > what you're talking about by searching through old messages, but
    that's
    > > not the way newsgroups work.
    >
    > About people killing Izchac.

    Some of the names for shopkeepers are flippant. Not
    that one. He was one of the early members of the
    DevTeam for Nethack. His name is always used to the
    owner of the lighting shop in minetown because he
    illuminated the DevTeam while he was alive. He is
    a memorial. Once folks learn that history, they
    tend to not want to kill him any more.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    jorge estrada <jestrada5@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3aa57kF665914U2@individual.net>...
    > Mark wrote:
    >
    > > Ok, Im in minetown, with all the shops and shopkeepers, and have a
    > > handy bunch of pets (Earth Elemental, Hell Hound, baby dragon (white
    > > I think, maybe blue), and storm giant), so I get them to take care
    > > of the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly
    > > the gold so I can buy protection), do that to all the shopkeepers,
    > > then decide to lock all my pets in one of the stores so they dont
    > > attack the (alligned) priest before Im done with her (I know this
    > > wont stop the Earth Elemental, but I thought it would stop the
    > > rest), and also close and lock the temple for good mesure, when
    > > before I know it the door to the temple is destroyed by something,
    > > and there are all my pets!
    >

    > Your pet Storm Giant knocked down the doors. Only pet Titans leave
    > doors intact.

    Huh? So what sort of monster is it that can break down doors? I take
    it most cant. Is it only huge monsters? Or monsters with 18**
    strength? Im still a little confused. And why do Titans leave doors
    intact?

    Mark
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Mark wrote:
    > jorge estrada <jestrada5@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3aa57kF665914U2@individual.net>...
    >>
    >>Your pet Storm Giant knocked down the doors. Only pet Titans leave
    >>doors intact.
    >
    > Huh? So what sort of monster is it that can break down doors? I take
    > it most cant. Is it only huge monsters? Or monsters with 18**
    > strength? Im still a little confused. And why do Titans leave doors
    > intact?

    Giants can break through doors. Titans are not considered being giants.
    As far as I can see the following creatures can break through doors...
    giant, stone giant, hill giant, fire giant, frost giant, storm giant,
    giant mummy, giant zombie, Cyclops, and Lord Surtur.

    Janis
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:

    > Mark wrote:
    >> jorge estrada <jestrada5@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>Your pet Storm Giant knocked down the doors. Only pet Titans leave
    >>>doors intact.
    >>
    >> Huh? So what sort of monster is it that can break down doors? I
    >> take it most cant. Is it only huge monsters? Or monsters with 18**
    >> strength? Im still a little confused. And why do Titans leave doors
    >> intact?
    >
    > Giants can break through doors. Titans are not considered being
    > giants. As far as I can see the following creatures can break
    > through doors... giant, stone giant, hill giant, fire giant, frost
    > giant, storm giant, giant mummy, giant zombie, Cyclops, and Lord
    > Surtur.

    Yeah, i thought but didn't say that all H except titans break doors
    down. I always thought titans were Giants because of them having the
    H symbol represent them.

    Jorge
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    jorge estrada wrote:

    > [...] I always thought titans were Giants because of them having the
    > H symbol represent them.

    Titans are suns of gods, though I don't know about their size. In the
    Nethack database (and in some literature), at least, you'll find them
    clearly distinguished from the giants (Gigantes):

    titan
    Gaea, mother earth, arose from the Chaos and gave birth to
    Uranus, heaven, who became her consort. Uranus hated all
    their children, because he feared they might challenge his
    own authority. Those children, the Titans, the Gigantes,
    and the Cyclops, were banished to the nether world. Their
    enraged mother eventually released the youngest titan,
    Chronos (time), and encouraged him to castrate his father and
    rule in his place. Later, he too was challenged by his own
    son, Zeus, and he and his fellow titans were ousted from
    Mount Olympus.
    [ Greek Mythology, by Richard Patrick ]

    The symbol H is maybe the closest match for such a community of gods.

    Janis
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    jorge estrada <jestrada5@yahoo.com> writes:
    > Yeah, i thought but didn't say that all H except titans break doors
    > down. I always thought titans were Giants because of them having the
    > H symbol represent them.

    Titans, minotaurs, and ettins are all non-giant H, and incapable
    of breaking doors.

    : "Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all." :
    : -- A.J. Balfour :
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<d1v766$sce$1@online.de>...
    > jorge estrada wrote:
    > >
    > > [...] I always thought titans were Giants because of them having the
    > > H symbol represent them.
    >
    > Titans are suns of gods, though I don't know about their size. In the
    > Nethack database (and in some literature), at least, you'll find them
    > clearly distinguished from the giants (Gigantes):
    >
    > titan
    > Gaea, mother earth, arose from the Chaos and gave birth to
    > Uranus, heaven, who became her consort. Uranus hated all
    > their children, because he feared they might challenge his
    > own authority. Those children, the Titans, the Gigantes,
    > and the Cyclops, were banished to the nether world. Their
    > enraged mother eventually released the youngest titan,
    > Chronos (time), and encouraged him to castrate his father and
    > rule in his place. Later, he too was challenged by his own
    > son, Zeus, and he and his fellow titans were ousted from
    > Mount Olympus.
    > [ Greek Mythology, by Richard Patrick ]
    >
    > The symbol H is maybe the closest match for such a community of gods.
    >
    > Janis

    I think titans are like giants in appearance, but are a *lot* smarter
    (they can cast spells, after all.) A giant will just mindlessly break
    down a door to get through, while a titan will do the intelligent
    thing and turn the handle.

    Artemis the Ranger
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

    Dylan O'Donnell wrote:

    > Titans, minotaurs, and ettins are all non-giant H, and incapable
    > of breaking doors.

    Okay, help me out here.

    I thought ettins were just two-headed giants!?!

    What are they, besides big and double-helping ugly?

    xanthian.
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Artemis the Ranger wrote:

    > I think titans are like giants in appearance, but are a *lot* smarter
    > (they can cast spells, after all.) A giant will just mindlessly break
    > down a door to get through, while a titan will do the intelligent
    > thing and turn the handle.

    Won't giants just open doors, as well, provided they are unlocked?

    I would call giants *smarter* than titans. Titans have no way to pursue
    you when you lock a door behind you; giants do.

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Kent Paul Dolan" <xanthian@well.com> writes:
    > Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
    >
    > > Titans, minotaurs, and ettins are all non-giant H, and incapable
    > > of breaking doors.
    >
    > Okay, help me out here.
    >
    > I thought ettins were just two-headed giants!?!
    >
    > What are they, besides big and double-helping ugly?

    They're "giant humanoids", but they're not _giants_. They don't go in
    for the things that true giants do: door-smashing, boulder-chucking,
    strength-conferring. I tend to think of them more as a kind of
    scaled-up ogre, with an extra head.

    : "Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all." :
    : -- A.J. Balfour :
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in news:d22he5
    $kav$1@news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:

    > Artemis the Ranger wrote:
    >
    >> I think titans are like giants in appearance, but are a *lot* smarter
    >> (they can cast spells, after all.) A giant will just mindlessly break
    >> down a door to get through, while a titan will do the intelligent
    >> thing and turn the handle.
    >
    > Won't giants just open doors, as well, provided they are unlocked?
    >
    > I would call giants *smarter* than titans. Titans have no way to pursue
    > you when you lock a door behind you; giants do.

    Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how to cast
    knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is smarter than the
    giant. I think the door example proves brawn not brain.
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Jacobs" <gwaihirj@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in news:d22he5
    > $kav$1@news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:
    >
    >> Artemis the Ranger wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think titans are like giants in appearance, but are a *lot* smarter
    >>> (they can cast spells, after all.) A giant will just mindlessly break
    >>> down a door to get through, while a titan will do the intelligent
    >>> thing and turn the handle.
    >>
    >> Won't giants just open doors, as well, provided they are unlocked?
    >>
    >> I would call giants *smarter* than titans. Titans have no way to pursue
    >> you when you lock a door behind you; giants do.
    >>
    > Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how to cast
    > knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is smarter than the
    > giant. I think the door example proves brawn not brain.

    Er... k)ick ?

    Justin Hiltscher
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jacobs wrote:
    > "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in
    > news:d22he5 $kav$1@news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:

    >> I would call giants *smarter* than titans. Titans have no way to
    >> pursue you when you lock a door behind you; giants do.

    > Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how to
    > cast knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is smarter than
    > the giant. I think the door example proves brawn not brain.

    That wizard should be creditcardless as well! :-)

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
    >Jacobs wrote:
    >> Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how to
    >> cast knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is smarter than
    >> the giant. I think the door example proves brawn not brain.
    >
    >That wizard should be creditcardless as well! :-)

    And polymorphed into a form without feet.
    My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Martin Read wrote:

    > "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
    >> Jacobs wrote:
    >>> Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how to
    >>> cast knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is smarter than
    >>> the giant. I think the door example proves brawn not brain.
    >>
    >> That wizard should be creditcardless as well! :-)
    >
    > And polymorphed into a form without feet.

    And pickaxeless, wand-of-diggingless, wand-of-openingless,
    wand-of-strikingless, probably wand-of-fireless (I forget if
    doors burn, but I bet they do)...

    Isn't there a spoiler on opening doors by now? ;)

    -Arthur,
    and pet-giantless
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Jacobs wrote:

    > "Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in

    >>> And polymorphed into a form without feet.
    >>
    >> And pickaxeless, wand-of-diggingless, wand-of-openingless,
    >> wand-of-strikingless, probably wand-of-fireless (I forget if
    >> doors burn, but I bet they do)...
    >>
    >> Isn't there a spoiler on opening doors by now? ;)
    >
    > It seems you all got the point without my making such a huge list ;).

    Yeah, of course. But making lists is hella more fun. ;-) I remember
    a while back there was a thread listing all the possible ways to die,
    or maybe it was all the possible ways of doing something else, since
    I know there's a spoiler on deaths.
    Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
    Feel free to add any I miss (and I'll miss a lot)... Twenty is enough
    for starters, I think.

    A. Tool-based methods (non-destructive).
    1. Skeleton key.
    2. Lock pick.
    3. Credit card.
    B. Brute-force methods (destructive).
    4. Kick it down.
    5. Apply a pickaxe.
    6. Apply a mattock.
    C. Spells.
    7. Knock spell (non-destructive).
    8. Force bolt spell (destructive).
    D. Wands.
    9. Zap or break a wand of fire (destructive).
    10. Zap or break a wand of cold (destructive).
    11. Zap or break a wand of lightning (destructive).
    12. Zap, but not break, a wand of striking (destructive).
    13. Zap, but not break, a wand of opening (non-destructive).
    14. Zap a wand of digging at the door, razing it.
    15. Break a wand of digging, turning the door into a pit if you're lucky.
    E. Other.
    16. Intelligent pet unlocks it.
    17. Giant pet smashes it.
    18. Polymorph into a giant and smash it.
    19. Polymorph into an ochre jelly, green slime, or brown or black pudding
    and ooze under it.
    20. Polymorph into a xorn and walk through it.

    Non-methods include ringing the Bell of Opening next to a door, breaking
    a wand of opening, polying into a gas spore and exploding, and polying
    into a wraith. I really expected all of those to work!

    -Arthur,
    killed by a magical explosion
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Martin Read wrote:

    >>> That wizard should be creditcardless as well! :-)
    >>
    >> And polymorphed into a form without feet.
    >
    > And pickaxeless, wand-of-diggingless, wand-of-openingless,
    > wand-of-strikingless, probably wand-of-fireless (I forget if
    > doors burn, but I bet they do)...
    >
    > Isn't there a spoiler on opening doors by now? ;)

    It seems you all got the point without my making such a huge list ;).
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:53:28 -0500 (EST), "Arthur J. O'Dwyer"
    <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

    >Yeah, of course. But making lists is hella more fun. ;-) I remember
    >a while back there was a thread listing all the possible ways to die,
    >or maybe it was all the possible ways of doing something else, since
    >I know there's a spoiler on deaths.
    > Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
    >Feel free to add any I miss (and I'll miss a lot)... Twenty is enough
    >for starters, I think.

    More precisely, these are methods of unlocking, bypassing, or breaking
    locked doors rather than opening them.

    Additions that come to mind:
    Ring the /blessed/ Bell of Opening within about 8 squares of the door.
    (Unlike the other non-destructive methods, this actually opens the
    door.)
    Apply an axe.
    Fireball spell.
    Cone of cold spell.
    Red, white, blue, silver, or black dragon breath (or any other
    fire/cold/lightning breathing monsters).

    >A. Tool-based methods (non-destructive).
    > 1. Skeleton key.
    > 2. Lock pick.
    > 3. Credit card.
    >B. Brute-force methods (destructive).
    > 4. Kick it down.
    > 5. Apply a pickaxe.
    > 6. Apply a mattock.
    >C. Spells.
    > 7. Knock spell (non-destructive).
    > 8. Force bolt spell (destructive).
    >D. Wands.
    > 9. Zap or break a wand of fire (destructive).
    > 10. Zap or break a wand of cold (destructive).
    > 11. Zap or break a wand of lightning (destructive).
    > 12. Zap, but not break, a wand of striking (destructive).
    > 13. Zap, but not break, a wand of opening (non-destructive).
    > 14. Zap a wand of digging at the door, razing it.
    > 15. Break a wand of digging, turning the door into a pit if you're lucky.
    >E. Other.
    > 16. Intelligent pet unlocks it.
    > 17. Giant pet smashes it.
    > 18. Polymorph into a giant and smash it.
    > 19. Polymorph into an ochre jelly, green slime, or brown or black pudding
    >and ooze under it.
    > 20. Polymorph into a xorn and walk through it.
    >
    >Non-methods include ringing the Bell of Opening next to a door, breaking
    >a wand of opening, polying into a gas spore and exploding, and polying
    >into a wraith. I really expected all of those to work!
    >
    >-Arthur,
    >killed by a magical explosion
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    > "Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in

    >>> And polymorphed into a form without feet.
    >>
    >> And pickaxeless, wand-of-diggingless, wand-of-openingless,
    >> wand-of-strikingless, probably wand-of-fireless (I forget if
    >> doors burn, but I bet they do)...
    >>
    >> Isn't there a spoiler on opening doors by now? ;)
    >>
    > It seems you all got the point without my making such a huge list ;).

    Even "force bolt", which wizards frequently get and is only L1 , can take
    out a door.
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Nick Hounsome" <nh002@nickhounsome.me.uk> wrote in

    > "Jacobs" <gwaihirj@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> "Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in

    >>> And pickaxeless, wand-of-diggingless, wand-of-openingless,
    >>> wand-of-strikingless, probably wand-of-fireless (I forget if
    >>> doors burn, but I bet they do)...
    >>>
    >>> Isn't there a spoiler on opening doors by now? ;)
    >>>
    >> It seems you all got the point without my making such a huge list ;).
    >
    > Even "force bolt", which wizards frequently get and is only L1 , can
    > take out a door.

    Well, then say a monk or a priest or a....the race of the human was not
    my main point people.
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

    > Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
    > Feel free to add any I miss (and I'll miss a lot)... Twenty is enough
    > for starters, I think.
    >
    > A. Tool-based methods (non-destructive).
    > 1. Skeleton key.
    > 2. Lock pick.
    > 3. Credit card.
    > B. Brute-force methods (destructive).
    > 4. Kick it down.
    > 5. Apply a pickaxe.
    > 6. Apply a mattock.
    > C. Spells.
    > 7. Knock spell (non-destructive).
    > 8. Force bolt spell (destructive).

    I think the spells of fireball and cone of cold will also work.

    > D. Wands.
    > 9. Zap or break a wand of fire (destructive).
    > 10. Zap or break a wand of cold (destructive).
    > 11. Zap or break a wand of lightning (destructive).
    > 12. Zap, but not break, a wand of striking (destructive).
    > 13. Zap, but not break, a wand of opening (non-destructive).
    > 14. Zap a wand of digging at the door, razing it.
    > 15. Break a wand of digging, turning the door into a pit if you're lucky.
    > E. Other.
    > 16. Intelligent pet unlocks it.
    > 17. Giant pet smashes it.
    > 18. Polymorph into a giant and smash it.
    > 19. Polymorph into an ochre jelly, green slime, or brown or black
    > pudding and ooze under it.
    > 20. Polymorph into a xorn and walk through it.

    21. Polymorph into a rock mole and eat a path around it.
    22. Teleport to the other side. (You may want to split this one up
    according to the method used to teleport.)
    Eva.

    --
    Eva Myers, Computer Officer, Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge
    Email: erm1001@cam.ac.uk WWW: http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/

    Eva Myers wrote:
    > 21. Polymorph into a rock mole and eat a path around it.
    > 22. Teleport to the other side. (You may want to split this one up
    > according to the method used to teleport.)

    23. On some levels: go up a level and dig down. Hope you land on the
    other
    side, if not, rince (sp?) and repeat.
    24. Go up/down a level and level teleport.
    25. Go down a level and quaff a cursed potion of healing.
    26. On some levels: wish for the Eye of the Aethiopica, go somewhere
    else,
    #invoke, see #23.

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

    > E. Other.

    n+1. Lure a (hostile) monster into zapping a /o striking
    at you while standing in one line with the door, like

    h.@+

    Best,
    Jakob
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
    > Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.

    <snip list>

    Maybe, for the sake of completeness, you would like to add the
    (o)pen command, used while being in a form with hands. ;-)

    (...or replace "door-opening" with "locked-door-bypassing").

    --
    Boudewijn Wai... oh, no, wait...

    Manuel, feeling like someone else
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Chris Maloof schrieb:

    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:53:28 -0500 (EST), "Arthur J. O'Dwyer"
    > <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

    [what to do about a locked door]

    > Additions that come to mind:
    > Ring the /blessed/ Bell of Opening within about 8 squares of the door.
    > (Unlike the other non-destructive methods, this actually opens the
    > door.)
    > Apply an axe.
    > Fireball spell.

    Scrolls of fire also work. Shouldn't have read-identified scrolls
    while standing next to the shop door ...

    --
    Jos ei sika syö, niin kyllähän piika syö.
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:

    > Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
    > Feel free to add any I miss (and I'll miss a lot)... Twenty is enough
    > for starters, I think.

  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:

    > [snip... other stuff]
    > Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
    > Feel free to add any I miss (and I'll miss a lot)... Twenty is enough
    > for starters, I think.
    >
    > [snip list]
    > D. Wands.
    > [snip list]
    > 13. Zap, but not break, a wand of opening (non-destructive).
    > [snip list]
    >
    > Non-methods include ringing the Bell of Opening next to a door, breaking
    > a wand of opening, polying into a gas spore and exploding, and polying
    > into a wraith. I really expected all of those to work!
    >
    > -Arthur,
    > killed by a magical explosion

    We should probably differentiate between unlocking a door and opening a
    door.

    As I recently learned while trying to open a door while polymorphed into
    a monster without hands, a wand of opening does not open a door, it
    merely unlocks it, and does nothing if a door is not locked, leaving me
    no way to open the door while leaving it intact. Quite annoying.

    --
    ____ (__)
    / \ (oo) -Shadow
    |Moo. > \/
    \____/
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > Eva Myers wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    > 25. Go down a level and quaff a cursed potion of healing.
    > [snip]

    You mean a cursed potion of gain level, don't you?

    --
    ____ (__)
    / \ (oo) -Shadow
    |Moo. > \/
    \____/
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

    > Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
    > >
    > > Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
    > > Feel free to add any I miss (and I'll miss a lot)... Twenty is enough
    > > for starters, I think.

  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Shadow wrote:
    > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

    >> 25. Go down a level and quaff a cursed potion of healing.

    > You mean a cursed potion of gain level, don't you?

    Obviously.

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Shadow wrote:

    > As I recently learned while trying to open a door while polymorphed
    > into a monster without hands, a wand of opening does not open a door,
    > it merely unlocks it, and does nothing if a door is not locked,
    > leaving me no way to open the door while leaving it intact. Quite
    > annoying.

    Can you use a wand of opening, anyway, when you don't have hands?

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > Shadow wrote:
    >

    >>As I recently learned while trying to open a door while polymorphed
    >>into a monster without hands, a wand of opening does not open a door,
    >>it merely unlocks it, and does nothing if a door is not locked,
    >>leaving me no way to open the door while leaving it intact. Quite
    >>annoying.
    >

    > Can you use a wand of opening, anyway, when you don't have hands?

    Evidently.

    Testing in wizmode says "yes".

    --
    ____ (__)
    / \ (oo) -Shadow
    |Moo. > \/
    \____/
  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Nick Hounsome" <nh002@nickhounsome.me.uk> wrote:

    > "Jacobs" <gwaihirj@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > It seems you all got the point without my making such a huge list ;).
    >
    > Even "force bolt", which wizards frequently get

    For values of frequently equal to "every time, from the start".

    Richard
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Manuel" <manuel.matias@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
    >> Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
    >
    > <snip list>
    >
    > Maybe, for the sake of completeness, you would like to add the
    > (o)pen command, used while being in a form with hands. ;-)
    >
    > (...or replace "door-opening" with "locked-door-bypassing").

    You mean you can open doors without breaking them?
    Who would have thought of it?

    Seriously - I actually prefer to break them down because of the risk of
    being killed on the extra turn needed to get through a door when the
    corridor runs parrallel to the wall and I am running for my lfe.
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Nick Hounsome" <nh002@nickhounsome.me.uk> writes:

    > Seriously - I actually prefer to break them down because of the risk
    > of being killed on the extra turn needed to get through a door when
    > the corridor runs parrallel to the wall and I am running for my lfe.

    Well, then you also run the risk of getting killed when you can't
    close the door in front of a pack of enemies who can't open it. Or
    close and lock it before a horde of door-opening monsters.
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:55:21 +0200, "Boudewijn Waijers"
    <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

    >23. On some levels: go up a level and dig down. Hope you land on the
    >other
    > side, if not, rince (sp?) and repeat.

    rinse

Games Video Games