Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What happened to the door?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 21, 2005 10:39:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Ok, Im in minetown, with all the shops and shopkeepers, and have a
handy bunch of pets (Earth Elemental, Hell Hound, baby dragon (white I
think, maybe blue), and storm giant), so I get them to take care of
the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly the
gold so I can buy protection), do that to all the shopkeepers, then
decide to lock all my pets in one of the stores so they dont attack
the (alligned) priest before Im done with her (I know this wont stop
the Earth Elemental, but I thought it would stop the rest), and also
close and lock the temple for good mesure, when before I know it the
door to the temple is destroyed by something, and there are all my
pets! I thought it must have been an enemy wand, but I checked the
room they were locked in, and that door was also destroyed! So how did
both these doors get destroyed, especially since pets dont use breath
attacks (not sure if they would destroy doors anyway)? Any answers
would be greatly appreciated

More about : happened door

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:24:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Mark wrote:
> Ok, Im in minetown, with all the shops and shopkeepers, and have a
> handy bunch of pets (Earth Elemental, Hell Hound, baby dragon (white I
> think, maybe blue), and storm giant), so I get them to take care of
> the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly the
> gold so I can buy protection), do that to all the shopkeepers, [...]

Wait a minute... ALL the shopkeepers? As in, INCLUDING Izchak?!

Audible gasp!

Refer to r.g.r.n FAQ:

4.12Q: I killed a shopkeeper named Izchak, why is everyone so
mad at me?

4.12A:

Izchak Miller, one of the founding members of the DevTeam, passed away
on April 1, 1994 from complications due to cancer. As he was
responsible for, among other things, much of the shopkeeper logic, the
owner of the lighting shop was named for him as a tribute. The DevTeam
dedicated version 3.2 of NetHack to the memory of Izchak Miller. Many
players who will happily slay everything else that moves will spare
Izchak's life as a sign of respect.

For a little more info, including a post from Izchak's
daughter, check out the following thread from 1996 in rgrn:
<http://www.google.co.uk/groups?th=714fda729e8182a7&gt;

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
|Moo. > \/
\____/
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 3:39:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

I've never seen anyone actually get angry about this.
Related resources
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 7:06:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

mdmota@yahoo.com.au (Mark) was moved to say:

>so I get them to take care of
>the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly the
>gold so I can buy protection),

The main question aside (because I don't know the answer), I'd just
like to say that it's not necessary to slaughter shopkeepers to get
their money. A nice dog or cat who has been trained for shoplifting
will do just fine ... doggie brings out all the stuff, you just walk
back in and sell it, wash, rinse, repeat.

-

JPD


SGFN
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 7:06:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

JPD wrote:
> mdmota@yahoo.com.au (Mark) was moved to say:
>
>
>>so I get them to take care of
>>the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly the
>>gold so I can buy protection),
>
>
> The main question aside (because I don't know the answer), I'd just
> like to say that it's not necessary to slaughter shopkeepers to get
> their money. A nice dog or cat who has been trained for shoplifting
> will do just fine ... doggie brings out all the stuff, you just walk
> back in and sell it, wash, rinse, repeat.
>

Killing shopkeepers is MUCH faster.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
|Moo. > \/
\____/
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 11:55:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

James Aguilar wrote:

> I've never seen anyone actually get angry about this.

About what? Context, please! Yes, I *know* that it's possible to find out
what you're talking about by searching through old messages, but that's
not the way newsgroups work.

Raisse, killed by a system shock

--
irina@valdyas.org LegoHack: http://www.valdyas.org/irina/nethack/
Status of Raisse (piously neutral): Level 8 HP 63(67) AC -3, fast.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:03:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Shadow wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>> Ok, Im in minetown, with all the shops and shopkeepers, and have a
>> handy bunch of pets (Earth Elemental, Hell Hound, baby dragon
>> (white I think, maybe blue), and storm giant), so I get them to
>> take care of the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies,
>> but mainly the gold so I can buy protection), do that to all the
>> shopkeepers, [...]
>
> Wait a minute... ALL the shopkeepers? As in, INCLUDING Izchak?!
>
> Audible gasp!
>
> Refer to r.g.r.n FAQ:
>
> 4.12Q: I killed a shopkeeper named Izchak, why is everyone so
> mad at me?
>

Not everybody cares or is of the same opinion. It really should read:
Why are some people mad at me?(or even most but certainly not
everybody.)

Jorge
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:05:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Mark wrote:

> Ok, Im in minetown, with all the shops and shopkeepers, and have a
> handy bunch of pets (Earth Elemental, Hell Hound, baby dragon (white
> I think, maybe blue), and storm giant), so I get them to take care
> of the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly
> the gold so I can buy protection), do that to all the shopkeepers,
> then decide to lock all my pets in one of the stores so they dont
> attack the (alligned) priest before Im done with her (I know this
> wont stop the Earth Elemental, but I thought it would stop the
> rest), and also close and lock the temple for good mesure, when
> before I know it the door to the temple is destroyed by something,
> and there are all my pets!



Your pet Storm Giant knocked down the doors. Only pet Titans leave
doors intact.

Jorge
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:56:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

jorge estrada wrote:

> Your pet Storm Giant knocked down the doors. Only pet Titans leave
> doors intact.

Pet newts do, as well. :-)

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

The garden of happiness is surrounded by a wall so low only children
can look over it. - "the Orphanage of Hits", former Dutch radio show.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 8:06:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

JPD wrote:
> mdmota@yahoo.com.au (Mark) was moved to say:
>
>
>>so I get them to take care of
>>the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly the
>>gold so I can buy protection),
>
>
> The main question aside (because I don't know the answer), I'd just
> like to say that it's not necessary to slaughter shopkeepers to get
> their money. A nice dog or cat who has been trained for shoplifting
> will do just fine ... doggie brings out all the stuff, you just walk
> back in and sell it, wash, rinse, repeat.

That can take a looooooong time, especially if it's a food shoppe, etc.

Big pets have a very high rate of return over a short term - a good
investment ;-)

--LWM
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 8:07:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

In article <TgY%d.31747$db6.28221@trndny02>, Little White Mouse <lwm@verizon.net> writes:
> JPD wrote:
>> mdmota@yahoo.com.au (Mark) was moved to say:
>>
>>
>>>so I get them to take care of
>>>the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly the
>>>gold so I can buy protection),
>>
>>
>> The main question aside (because I don't know the answer), I'd just
>> like to say that it's not necessary to slaughter shopkeepers to get
>> their money. A nice dog or cat who has been trained for shoplifting
>> will do just fine ... doggie brings out all the stuff, you just walk
>> back in and sell it, wash, rinse, repeat.
>
> That can take a looooooong time, especially if it's a food shoppe, etc.

Put the food into a doggie bag.

John Briggs
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 12:13:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Raisse the Thaumaturge" <raisse@valdyas.org> wrote in message
news:423fceaf$0$187$e4fe514c@dreader6.news.xs4all.nl...
> James Aguilar wrote:
>
>> I've never seen anyone actually get angry about this.
>
> About what? Context, please! Yes, I *know* that it's possible to find out
> what you're talking about by searching through old messages, but that's
> not the way newsgroups work.

About people killing Izchac.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 12:25:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

James Aguilar wrote:
> Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> > James Aguilar wrote:
>
> > > I've never seen anyone actually get angry about this.
>
> > About what? Context, please! Yes, I *know* that it's possible to
find out
> > what you're talking about by searching through old messages, but
that's
> > not the way newsgroups work.
>
> About people killing Izchac.

Some of the names for shopkeepers are flippant. Not
that one. He was one of the early members of the
DevTeam for Nethack. His name is always used to the
owner of the lighting shop in minetown because he
illuminated the DevTeam while he was alive. He is
a memorial. Once folks learn that history, they
tend to not want to kill him any more.
March 23, 2005 10:09:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

jorge estrada <jestrada5@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3aa57kF665914U2@individual.net>...
> Mark wrote:
>
> > Ok, Im in minetown, with all the shops and shopkeepers, and have a
> > handy bunch of pets (Earth Elemental, Hell Hound, baby dragon (white
> > I think, maybe blue), and storm giant), so I get them to take care
> > of the shopkeepers so I can take their gold (and goodies, but mainly
> > the gold so I can buy protection), do that to all the shopkeepers,
> > then decide to lock all my pets in one of the stores so they dont
> > attack the (alligned) priest before Im done with her (I know this
> > wont stop the Earth Elemental, but I thought it would stop the
> > rest), and also close and lock the temple for good mesure, when
> > before I know it the door to the temple is destroyed by something,
> > and there are all my pets!
>
>
>
> Your pet Storm Giant knocked down the doors. Only pet Titans leave
> doors intact.

Huh? So what sort of monster is it that can break down doors? I take
it most cant. Is it only huge monsters? Or monsters with 18**
strength? Im still a little confused. And why do Titans leave doors
intact?

Mark
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 7:21:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Mark wrote:
> jorge estrada <jestrada5@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3aa57kF665914U2@individual.net>...
>>
>>Your pet Storm Giant knocked down the doors. Only pet Titans leave
>>doors intact.
>
> Huh? So what sort of monster is it that can break down doors? I take
> it most cant. Is it only huge monsters? Or monsters with 18**
> strength? Im still a little confused. And why do Titans leave doors
> intact?

Giants can break through doors. Titans are not considered being giants.
As far as I can see the following creatures can break through doors...
giant, stone giant, hill giant, fire giant, frost giant, storm giant,
giant mummy, giant zombie, Cyclops, and Lord Surtur.

Janis
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 10:42:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>> jorge estrada <jestrada5@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:<3aa57kF665914U2@individual.net>...
>>>
>>>Your pet Storm Giant knocked down the doors. Only pet Titans leave
>>>doors intact.
>>
>> Huh? So what sort of monster is it that can break down doors? I
>> take it most cant. Is it only huge monsters? Or monsters with 18**
>> strength? Im still a little confused. And why do Titans leave doors
>> intact?
>
> Giants can break through doors. Titans are not considered being
> giants. As far as I can see the following creatures can break
> through doors... giant, stone giant, hill giant, fire giant, frost
> giant, storm giant, giant mummy, giant zombie, Cyclops, and Lord
> Surtur.
>

Yeah, i thought but didn't say that all H except titans break doors
down. I always thought titans were Giants because of them having the
H symbol represent them.

Jorge
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:16:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

jorge estrada wrote:
>
> [...] I always thought titans were Giants because of them having the
> H symbol represent them.

Titans are suns of gods, though I don't know about their size. In the
Nethack database (and in some literature), at least, you'll find them
clearly distinguished from the giants (Gigantes):

titan
Gaea, mother earth, arose from the Chaos and gave birth to
Uranus, heaven, who became her consort. Uranus hated all
their children, because he feared they might challenge his
own authority. Those children, the Titans, the Gigantes,
and the Cyclops, were banished to the nether world. Their
enraged mother eventually released the youngest titan,
Chronos (time), and encouraged him to castrate his father and
rule in his place. Later, he too was challenged by his own
son, Zeus, and he and his fellow titans were ousted from
Mount Olympus.
[ Greek Mythology, by Richard Patrick ]

The symbol H is maybe the closest match for such a community of gods.

Janis
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 3:17:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

jorge estrada <jestrada5@yahoo.com> writes:
> Yeah, i thought but didn't say that all H except titans break doors
> down. I always thought titans were Giants because of them having the
> H symbol represent them.

Titans, minotaurs, and ettins are all non-giant H, and incapable
of breaking doors.

--
: Dylan O'Donnell http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/ :
: "Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all." :
: -- A.J. Balfour :
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 7:16:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<d1v766$sce$1@online.de>...
> jorge estrada wrote:
> >
> > [...] I always thought titans were Giants because of them having the
> > H symbol represent them.
>
> Titans are suns of gods, though I don't know about their size. In the
> Nethack database (and in some literature), at least, you'll find them
> clearly distinguished from the giants (Gigantes):
>
> titan
> Gaea, mother earth, arose from the Chaos and gave birth to
> Uranus, heaven, who became her consort. Uranus hated all
> their children, because he feared they might challenge his
> own authority. Those children, the Titans, the Gigantes,
> and the Cyclops, were banished to the nether world. Their
> enraged mother eventually released the youngest titan,
> Chronos (time), and encouraged him to castrate his father and
> rule in his place. Later, he too was challenged by his own
> son, Zeus, and he and his fellow titans were ousted from
> Mount Olympus.
> [ Greek Mythology, by Richard Patrick ]
>
> The symbol H is maybe the closest match for such a community of gods.
>
> Janis

I think titans are like giants in appearance, but are a *lot* smarter
(they can cast spells, after all.) A giant will just mindlessly break
down a door to get through, while a titan will do the intelligent
thing and turn the handle.

Artemis the Ranger
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 12:39:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:


> Titans, minotaurs, and ettins are all non-giant H, and incapable
> of breaking doors.

Okay, help me out here.

I thought ettins were just two-headed giants!?!

What are they, besides big and double-helping ugly?

xanthian.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 6:29:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Artemis the Ranger wrote:

> I think titans are like giants in appearance, but are a *lot* smarter
> (they can cast spells, after all.) A giant will just mindlessly break
> down a door to get through, while a titan will do the intelligent
> thing and turn the handle.

Won't giants just open doors, as well, provided they are unlocked?

I would call giants *smarter* than titans. Titans have no way to pursue
you when you lock a door behind you; giants do.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

The garden of happiness is surrounded by a wall so low only children
can look over it. - "the Orphanage of Hits", former Dutch radio show.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 9:12:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Kent Paul Dolan" <xanthian@well.com> writes:
> Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
>
> > Titans, minotaurs, and ettins are all non-giant H, and incapable
> > of breaking doors.
>
> Okay, help me out here.
>
> I thought ettins were just two-headed giants!?!
>
> What are they, besides big and double-helping ugly?

They're "giant humanoids", but they're not _giants_. They don't go in
for the things that true giants do: door-smashing, boulder-chucking,
strength-conferring. I tend to think of them more as a kind of
scaled-up ogre, with an extra head.

--
: Dylan O'Donnell http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/ :
: "Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all." :
: -- A.J. Balfour :
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 8:48:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in news:D 22he5
$kav$1@news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:

> Artemis the Ranger wrote:
>
>> I think titans are like giants in appearance, but are a *lot* smarter
>> (they can cast spells, after all.) A giant will just mindlessly break
>> down a door to get through, while a titan will do the intelligent
>> thing and turn the handle.
>
> Won't giants just open doors, as well, provided they are unlocked?
>
> I would call giants *smarter* than titans. Titans have no way to pursue
> you when you lock a door behind you; giants do.
>
Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how to cast
knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is smarter than the
giant. I think the door example proves brawn not brain.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 3:52:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Jacobs" <gwaihirj@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9625823779977abc123@130.133.1.4...
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in news:D 22he5
> $kav$1@news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:
>
>> Artemis the Ranger wrote:
>>
>>> I think titans are like giants in appearance, but are a *lot* smarter
>>> (they can cast spells, after all.) A giant will just mindlessly break
>>> down a door to get through, while a titan will do the intelligent
>>> thing and turn the handle.
>>
>> Won't giants just open doors, as well, provided they are unlocked?
>>
>> I would call giants *smarter* than titans. Titans have no way to pursue
>> you when you lock a door behind you; giants do.
>>
> Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how to cast
> knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is smarter than the
> giant. I think the door example proves brawn not brain.

Er... k)ick ?

Justin Hiltscher
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 3:01:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Jacobs wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in
> news:D 22he5 $kav$1@news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:

>> I would call giants *smarter* than titans. Titans have no way to
>> pursue you when you lock a door behind you; giants do.

> Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how to
> cast knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is smarter than
> the giant. I think the door example proves brawn not brain.

That wizard should be creditcardless as well! :-)

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

The garden of happiness is surrounded by a wall so low only children
can look over it. - "the Orphanage of Hits", former Dutch radio show.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 4:06:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>Jacobs wrote:
>> Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how to
>> cast knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is smarter than
>> the giant. I think the door example proves brawn not brain.
>
>That wizard should be creditcardless as well! :-)

And polymorphed into a form without feet.
--
Martin Read - my opinions are my own. share them if you wish.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.ht...
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 6:00:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Martin Read wrote:
>
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>> Jacobs wrote:
>>> Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how to
>>> cast knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is smarter than
>>> the giant. I think the door example proves brawn not brain.
>>
>> That wizard should be creditcardless as well! :-)
>
> And polymorphed into a form without feet.

And pickaxeless, wand-of-diggingless, wand-of-openingless,
wand-of-strikingless, probably wand-of-fireless (I forget if
doors burn, but I bet they do)...

Isn't there a spoiler on opening doors by now? ;) 

-Arthur,
and pet-giantless
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:53:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Jacobs wrote:
>
> "Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in
>> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Martin Read wrote:
>>> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>>>> Jacobs wrote:
>>>>> Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how to
>>>>> cast knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is smarter
>>>>> than the giant. I think the door example proves brawn not brain.
>>>>
>>>> That wizard should be creditcardless as well! :-)
>>>
>>> And polymorphed into a form without feet.
>>
>> And pickaxeless, wand-of-diggingless, wand-of-openingless,
>> wand-of-strikingless, probably wand-of-fireless (I forget if
>> doors burn, but I bet they do)...
>>
>> Isn't there a spoiler on opening doors by now? ;) 
>
> It seems you all got the point without my making such a huge list ;) .

Yeah, of course. But making lists is hella more fun. ;-) I remember
a while back there was a thread listing all the possible ways to die,
or maybe it was all the possible ways of doing something else, since
I know there's a spoiler on deaths.
Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
Feel free to add any I miss (and I'll miss a lot)... Twenty is enough
for starters, I think.

A. Tool-based methods (non-destructive).
1. Skeleton key.
2. Lock pick.
3. Credit card.
B. Brute-force methods (destructive).
4. Kick it down.
5. Apply a pickaxe.
6. Apply a mattock.
C. Spells.
7. Knock spell (non-destructive).
8. Force bolt spell (destructive).
D. Wands.
9. Zap or break a wand of fire (destructive).
10. Zap or break a wand of cold (destructive).
11. Zap or break a wand of lightning (destructive).
12. Zap, but not break, a wand of striking (destructive).
13. Zap, but not break, a wand of opening (non-destructive).
14. Zap a wand of digging at the door, razing it.
15. Break a wand of digging, turning the door into a pit if you're lucky.
E. Other.
16. Intelligent pet unlocks it.
17. Giant pet smashes it.
18. Polymorph into a giant and smash it.
19. Polymorph into an ochre jelly, green slime, or brown or black pudding
and ooze under it.
20. Polymorph into a xorn and walk through it.

Non-methods include ringing the Bell of Opening next to a door, breaking
a wand of opening, polying into a gas spore and exploding, and polying
into a wraith. I really expected all of those to work!

-Arthur,
killed by a magical explosion
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:00:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in
news:p ine.LNX.4.60-041.0503281355310.4622@unix47.andrew.cmu.edu:

>
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Martin Read wrote:
>>
>> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>>> Jacobs wrote:
>>>> Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how to
>>>> cast knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is smarter
>>>> than the giant. I think the door example proves brawn not brain.
>>>
>>> That wizard should be creditcardless as well! :-)
>>
>> And polymorphed into a form without feet.
>
> And pickaxeless, wand-of-diggingless, wand-of-openingless,
> wand-of-strikingless, probably wand-of-fireless (I forget if
> doors burn, but I bet they do)...
>
> Isn't there a spoiler on opening doors by now? ;) 
>
It seems you all got the point without my making such a huge list ;) .
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 5:22:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:53:28 -0500 (EST), "Arthur J. O'Dwyer"
<ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

>
>Yeah, of course. But making lists is hella more fun. ;-) I remember
>a while back there was a thread listing all the possible ways to die,
>or maybe it was all the possible ways of doing something else, since
>I know there's a spoiler on deaths.
> Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
>Feel free to add any I miss (and I'll miss a lot)... Twenty is enough
>for starters, I think.
>
More precisely, these are methods of unlocking, bypassing, or breaking
locked doors rather than opening them.

Additions that come to mind:
Ring the /blessed/ Bell of Opening within about 8 squares of the door.
(Unlike the other non-destructive methods, this actually opens the
door.)
Apply an axe.
Fireball spell.
Cone of cold spell.
Red, white, blue, silver, or black dragon breath (or any other
fire/cold/lightning breathing monsters).

>A. Tool-based methods (non-destructive).
> 1. Skeleton key.
> 2. Lock pick.
> 3. Credit card.
>B. Brute-force methods (destructive).
> 4. Kick it down.
> 5. Apply a pickaxe.
> 6. Apply a mattock.
>C. Spells.
> 7. Knock spell (non-destructive).
> 8. Force bolt spell (destructive).
>D. Wands.
> 9. Zap or break a wand of fire (destructive).
> 10. Zap or break a wand of cold (destructive).
> 11. Zap or break a wand of lightning (destructive).
> 12. Zap, but not break, a wand of striking (destructive).
> 13. Zap, but not break, a wand of opening (non-destructive).
> 14. Zap a wand of digging at the door, razing it.
> 15. Break a wand of digging, turning the door into a pit if you're lucky.
>E. Other.
> 16. Intelligent pet unlocks it.
> 17. Giant pet smashes it.
> 18. Polymorph into a giant and smash it.
> 19. Polymorph into an ochre jelly, green slime, or brown or black pudding
>and ooze under it.
> 20. Polymorph into a xorn and walk through it.
>
>Non-methods include ringing the Bell of Opening next to a door, breaking
>a wand of opening, polying into a gas spore and exploding, and polying
>into a wraith. I really expected all of those to work!
>
>-Arthur,
>killed by a magical explosion
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 5:34:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Jacobs" <gwaihirj@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9627B728F48EDabc123@130.133.1.4...
> "Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in
> news:p ine.LNX.4.60-041.0503281355310.4622@unix47.andrew.cmu.edu:
>
>>
>> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Martin Read wrote:
>>>
>>> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>>>> Jacobs wrote:
>>>>> Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how to
>>>>> cast knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is smarter
>>>>> than the giant. I think the door example proves brawn not brain.
>>>>
>>>> That wizard should be creditcardless as well! :-)
>>>
>>> And polymorphed into a form without feet.
>>
>> And pickaxeless, wand-of-diggingless, wand-of-openingless,
>> wand-of-strikingless, probably wand-of-fireless (I forget if
>> doors burn, but I bet they do)...
>>
>> Isn't there a spoiler on opening doors by now? ;) 
>>
> It seems you all got the point without my making such a huge list ;) .

Even "force bolt", which wizards frequently get and is only L1 , can take
out a door.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 5:41:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Nick Hounsome" <nh002@nickhounsome.me.uk> wrote in
news:_g22e.18536$XH5.16611@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

>
> "Jacobs" <gwaihirj@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9627B728F48EDabc123@130.133.1.4...
>> "Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in
>> news:p ine.LNX.4.60-041.0503281355310.4622@unix47.andrew.cmu.edu:
>>
>>>
>>> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Martin Read wrote:
>>>>
>>>> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>>>>> Jacobs wrote:
>>>>>> Neither does a keyless lockpickless wizard who doesn't know how
>>>>>> to cast knock, however I would certainly hope the wizard is
>>>>>> smarter than the giant. I think the door example proves brawn
>>>>>> not brain.
>>>>>
>>>>> That wizard should be creditcardless as well! :-)
>>>>
>>>> And polymorphed into a form without feet.
>>>
>>> And pickaxeless, wand-of-diggingless, wand-of-openingless,
>>> wand-of-strikingless, probably wand-of-fireless (I forget if
>>> doors burn, but I bet they do)...
>>>
>>> Isn't there a spoiler on opening doors by now? ;) 
>>>
>> It seems you all got the point without my making such a huge list ;) .
>
> Even "force bolt", which wizards frequently get and is only L1 , can
> take out a door.

Well, then say a monk or a priest or a....the race of the human was not
my main point people.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:23:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
> Feel free to add any I miss (and I'll miss a lot)... Twenty is enough
> for starters, I think.
>
> A. Tool-based methods (non-destructive).
> 1. Skeleton key.
> 2. Lock pick.
> 3. Credit card.
> B. Brute-force methods (destructive).
> 4. Kick it down.
> 5. Apply a pickaxe.
> 6. Apply a mattock.
> C. Spells.
> 7. Knock spell (non-destructive).
> 8. Force bolt spell (destructive).

I think the spells of fireball and cone of cold will also work.

> D. Wands.
> 9. Zap or break a wand of fire (destructive).
> 10. Zap or break a wand of cold (destructive).
> 11. Zap or break a wand of lightning (destructive).
> 12. Zap, but not break, a wand of striking (destructive).
> 13. Zap, but not break, a wand of opening (non-destructive).
> 14. Zap a wand of digging at the door, razing it.
> 15. Break a wand of digging, turning the door into a pit if you're lucky.
> E. Other.
> 16. Intelligent pet unlocks it.
> 17. Giant pet smashes it.
> 18. Polymorph into a giant and smash it.
> 19. Polymorph into an ochre jelly, green slime, or brown or black
> pudding and ooze under it.
> 20. Polymorph into a xorn and walk through it.

21. Polymorph into a rock mole and eat a path around it.
22. Teleport to the other side. (You may want to split this one up
according to the method used to teleport.)
Eva.

--
Eva Myers, Computer Officer, Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge
Email: erm1001@cam.ac.uk WWW: http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/
Ignorance and deception can't save anybody. *Knowing* saves them.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:55:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Eva Myers wrote:
> 21. Polymorph into a rock mole and eat a path around it.
> 22. Teleport to the other side. (You may want to split this one up
> according to the method used to teleport.)

23. On some levels: go up a level and dig down. Hope you land on the
other
side, if not, rince (sp?) and repeat.
24. Go up/down a level and level teleport.
25. Go down a level and quaff a cursed potion of healing.
26. On some levels: wish for the Eye of the Aethiopica, go somewhere
else,
#invoke, see #23.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

The garden of happiness is surrounded by a wall so low only children
can look over it. - "the Orphanage of Hits", former Dutch radio show.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:34:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> E. Other.

n+1. Lure a (hostile) monster into zapping a /o striking
at you while standing in one line with the door, like

h.@+

Best,
Jakob
March 29, 2005 7:12:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
> Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.

<snip list>

Maybe, for the sake of completeness, you would like to add the
(o)pen command, used while being in a form with hands. ;-)

(...or replace "door-opening" with "locked-door-bypassing").

--
Boudewijn Wai... oh, no, wait...

Manuel, feeling like someone else
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 11:45:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Chris Maloof schrieb:
>
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:53:28 -0500 (EST), "Arthur J. O'Dwyer"
> <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

[what to do about a locked door]

> Additions that come to mind:
> Ring the /blessed/ Bell of Opening within about 8 squares of the door.
> (Unlike the other non-destructive methods, this actually opens the
> door.)
> Apply an axe.
> Fireball spell.

Scrolls of fire also work. Shouldn't have read-identified scrolls
while standing next to the shop door ...

--
Jos ei sika syö, niin kyllähän piika syö.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:16:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
>
> Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
> Feel free to add any I miss (and I'll miss a lot)... Twenty is enough
> for starters, I think.
>
> [ List snipped ]

You start playing the drum of earthquake.
You produce a heavy, thunderous rolling!
The entire dungeon is shaking around you! The door collapses.

;-)

Janis
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:35:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
>
> [snip... other stuff]
> Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
> Feel free to add any I miss (and I'll miss a lot)... Twenty is enough
> for starters, I think.
>
> [snip list]
> D. Wands.
> [snip list]
> 13. Zap, but not break, a wand of opening (non-destructive).
> [snip list]
>
> Non-methods include ringing the Bell of Opening next to a door, breaking
> a wand of opening, polying into a gas spore and exploding, and polying
> into a wraith. I really expected all of those to work!
>
> -Arthur,
> killed by a magical explosion

We should probably differentiate between unlocking a door and opening a
door.

As I recently learned while trying to open a door while polymorphed into
a monster without hands, a wand of opening does not open a door, it
merely unlocks it, and does nothing if a door is not locked, leaving me
no way to open the door while leaving it intact. Quite annoying.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
|Moo. > \/
\____/
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:38:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Eva Myers wrote:
>
> [snip]
> 25. Go down a level and quaff a cursed potion of healing.
> [snip]

You mean a cursed potion of gain level, don't you?

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
|Moo. > \/
\____/
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:57:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
> > Feel free to add any I miss (and I'll miss a lot)... Twenty is enough
> > for starters, I think.
> >
> > [ List snipped ]
>
> You start playing the drum of earthquake.
> You produce a heavy, thunderous rolling!
> The entire dungeon is shaking around you! The door collapses.

Thrown lit potion of oil also works.
To be put together with spell of fireball.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:41:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Shadow wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>> 25. Go down a level and quaff a cursed potion of healing.

> You mean a cursed potion of gain level, don't you?

Obviously.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

The garden of happiness is surrounded by a wall so low only children
can look over it. - "the Orphanage of Hits", former Dutch radio show.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:43:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Shadow wrote:

> As I recently learned while trying to open a door while polymorphed
> into a monster without hands, a wand of opening does not open a door,
> it merely unlocks it, and does nothing if a door is not locked,
> leaving me no way to open the door while leaving it intact. Quite
> annoying.

Can you use a wand of opening, anyway, when you don't have hands?

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

The garden of happiness is surrounded by a wall so low only children
can look over it. - "the Orphanage of Hits", former Dutch radio show.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:47:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Shadow wrote:
>
>
>>As I recently learned while trying to open a door while polymorphed
>>into a monster without hands, a wand of opening does not open a door,
>>it merely unlocks it, and does nothing if a door is not locked,
>>leaving me no way to open the door while leaving it intact. Quite
>>annoying.
>
>
> Can you use a wand of opening, anyway, when you don't have hands?
>

Evidently.

Testing in wizmode says "yes".

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
|Moo. > \/
\____/
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:38:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Nick Hounsome" <nh002@nickhounsome.me.uk> wrote:

> "Jacobs" <gwaihirj@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9627B728F48EDabc123@130.133.1.4...
> > It seems you all got the point without my making such a huge list ;) .
>
> Even "force bolt", which wizards frequently get

For values of frequently equal to "every time, from the start".

Richard
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:37:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Manuel" <manuel.matias@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1112137972.711367.11050@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
>> Anyway, I want a list of door-opening techniques! Just for fun.
>
> <snip list>
>
> Maybe, for the sake of completeness, you would like to add the
> (o)pen command, used while being in a form with hands. ;-)
>
> (...or replace "door-opening" with "locked-door-bypassing").

You mean you can open doors without breaking them?
Who would have thought of it?

Seriously - I actually prefer to break them down because of the risk of
being killed on the extra turn needed to get through a door when the
corridor runs parrallel to the wall and I am running for my lfe.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:36:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Nick Hounsome" <nh002@nickhounsome.me.uk> writes:

> Seriously - I actually prefer to break them down because of the risk
> of being killed on the extra turn needed to get through a door when
> the corridor runs parrallel to the wall and I am running for my lfe.

Well, then you also run the risk of getting killed when you can't
close the door in front of a pack of enemies who can't open it. Or
close and lock it before a horde of door-opening monsters.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 11:00:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:55:21 +0200, "Boudewijn Waijers"
<kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

>23. On some levels: go up a level and dig down. Hope you land on the
>other
> side, if not, rince (sp?) and repeat.

rinse
!