DasKeyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches: Lound Spacebar

mint-ch

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Hi dear geek friends

I got my brand new dasKeyboard Ultimate Model S in the mail on Friday. For more info about it:

http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-ultimate/

It has Blue Cherry Switches so it is quite clicky (as advertised).

I must say I quite like the board and the feel of the keys. I never had a mechanical keyboard and I really love to type on this thing. HOWEVER, I do have a problem with the sound of the space bar. It is quite a bit louder than the rest of the keys. I am not sure if this is normal or if it is a squeaky key (which apparently happens with mech boards).

I found this information about the problem and a solution here:

http://www.daskeyboard.com/blog/?p=3212

I did as instructed, treated the space bar with synthetic grease. However this doesn't help very much. It is still much louder than the other keys and has a very high pitched click (again compared to the rest of the keys). I find it quite annoying that this is so much louder. It kinda interrupts the otherwise nice mesmerizing sound of the keyboard while typing.

Now it would help me if somebody with a keyboard with blue switches (preferrably a dasKeyboard) could tell me if it is normal that the space bar is so much louder than all the rest or if I should return my keyboard for a replacement (it was shipped from another country so it would be somewhat uncomfortable).

Thx

i had the razer keyboard for a few days which i believe uses cherry mx blues and i had no such issues.

are all of the keys cherry mx blues? (pop the keycaps off and look at the color). some keyboards use different switches for different areas of the board. not sure this would cause squeaking but it may cause a different pitch click.

could the sound be coming from the fact that there are i believe two switches under the spacebar instead of just one like under the keys? perhaps pressing the spacebar in a certain way torques on the other switch in a certain way inducing the squeaking sound.

of course you could just have a defective switch. what i would do is pop the spacebar off and pop another key onto each keyswitch under it and press them. see which of them is making the offending sound. since it would obviously be too much trouble to return the keyboard perhaps you can replace the keyswitch instead. you should be able to remove and replace keyswitches easily enough if the keyboard is designed for it. i know you can buy replacement switches (they should really send you some free) as i've heard of people converting a whole cherry mx keyboard to a different style of cherry mx switch before.

just some ideas...

tcboy88

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I had the daskeyboard with brown switch
the spacebar have high pitch sound
sounds like the vibration between the metal and plastic stabilizer
I also applied synthetic grease but it does not help

actually this is my 2nd daskeyboard
I sold the first 1, due to the spacebar sound
But I bought the 2nd 1, and it is the same

anyway, previously i own a razer blackwidow brown switch, the space bar did not have any sound

HOWEVER, the typing feel on daskeyboard is much better than the razer 1
SO i guess it is still well worth it, eventhought the high pitch space bar sound

mint-ch

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

Oh god, I just ordered the dasKeyboard with brown switches to solve this problem. Another 140€ with shipping! This better work out.

I investigated some more into the space bar and it turns out that my problem has nothing to do with the stabilizer. It is just simply that the click somehow resonates much more with the large space bar, thus appears louder. I put a regular small key on the space bar switch and then it sounds just like the other keys. I also put on the space bar to the switch only, without any stabilizer. It still has the same loud, high pitched sound.

For me it's really just the clicking that freaks me out. If there is such a thing as a 'clicky person', it seems I am not one of them.

You're funny :) This would include voiding the warranty (I bought this 1 week ago) and soldering the switches. It might be a viable solution thou, because there are switches on the board that are more quiet than others for some reason. The spacebar however is one of the fully potent clickers. I could switch the switch on the space bar with one that doesn't click so loud. or even a brown one if I can find one to order.

DanTheVan

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
The space bar being loud most probably has nothing to do with the switch itself. The space bar is louder, and when you press it you end up with not just a small square of plastic hitting the keyboard, but rather a huge rectangle that has stabilizers. This is perfectly normal, and your keyboard does not have a defect at all