USB Keyboard freezes the system.

hwmgr

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I recently installed Windows 8 Pro on my Dell Inspiron 7520, but since then my USB Keyboard is'nt working properly..
When i plug in the device, numlock light glows, but keyboard does'nt work, i can't type anything with it, can't turn off numlock etc., and as soon as i unplug it, system freezes and i had to manually restart the system..
Keyboard is working fine in BIOS as well as in Safe Mode...
I tried uninstalling all USB devices and re-installing them, still no help.. :fou:
I noticed that in Device Manager under Keyboard, when i connect it, it shows "HID Keyboard Device", but if i try to un-install it, same thing happens, computer freezes..
Any solutions to it???

hwmgr

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
well the problem arises due to some compatibility issues of VMPlayer/VMWare with Windows 8..
The problem is caused by VMkbd.sys located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers.

To solve the problem, open the Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Edit the entry UpperFilters, and remove the filter vmkbd, leaving only the filter kbdclass.

Restart your laptop and connect the USB keyboard.

Mine works fine after that, you can try that too..

Nasko Radev

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say a very big THANKS to hwmgr for posting the answer here! Just helped me sort this out after hours of trying to get my new keyboard to work! Awesome dude

earnjiang

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Mine as well state what fixed it for you. =) Could help others in the future.
kRf6

ensvensktiger

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
I have a similar issue, on my k270 wireless keyboard only the multimedia buttons function. My system doesn't freeze though. I can connect and disconnect the receiver and switch the keyboard on and off and everything connects as it should. But only the mutimedia buttons function.

To solve the problem, open the Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Edit the entry UpperFilters, and remove the filter vmkbd, leaving only the filter kbdclass.

I did this, but my Upperfilters contain only the kbdclass, no sign of a vmkbd fiilter to remove and remedy this isue.

Does anyone know of any other ways to resolve this? I'm running win8