August 4, 2009 12:16:54 AM

System Specs:
Intel Q9550 @ 3.4 Ghz
4GB OCZ Fatal1ty Ram 1066Mhz
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Mobo
Apevia Aqua Power 700W PSU
XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5
Seagate 500GB HDD

I have been running the Windows 7 32-bit beta for a while, and now that it is expired I upgraded to the Windows 7 64-bit Release candidate. When running the Beta, my Experience Index scores were as follow:
CPU: 7.4
RAM: 7.4
Aero Graphics: 7.9
Gaming Graphics: 6.9
Hard Disk: 6.0

However, now that I have upgraded to the Release candidate, my Index scores are:
CPU: 7.4
RAM: 7.4
Aero Graphics: 6.8
Gaming Graphics: 6.8
Hard Disk: 5.9

I have downloaded the 64-Bit Windows 7 Catalyst Control Center Suite, so my driver should be up to date. I was just wondering if the dip in ratings was simply due to a difference between Beta and RC, or 32-bit and 64-bit, or if this is an issue that Microsoft has no resolved.
Can anyone offer input or relate to this?

More about : gaming graphics error

August 4, 2009 8:31:02 PM

i haven't updated my drivers yet, but I have a new i7 build and it gave me 7.4 for the i7 920, 5.5 for my ocz ddr3-1333 ( 1 2gb module out of 6 total to be installed) and my 2gb hd4870 only got around 6.5... I think my 300gb velociraptor was only around 5.9 as well.

I don't think it's a big deal. With a system like what you have, you shouldn't have trouble running anything anyhow.
m
l

Best solution

August 4, 2009 9:21:59 PM

Ignore the scores. They're a very basic test for people who don't really know their systems (think "your dad wanting to play flight sims", and you'll be on the right lines). They're also (I think) weighted towards the low end of the scale, as Windows 7 is intended to be around for a while. If it gives top marks for things now, it leaves nowhere for it to go when all the makers bring out their high end stuff in the future. So yes, I guess Microsoft have updated between Vista and 7, as one would expect.
As always, with any game, check your specs. I don't see your rig having any issues with any game out there right now, and probably won't for a while. At least I hope not. My rig is the almost the same as yours, just with a Q6600 running at 3.2ghz!
Related resources
August 5, 2009 7:24:28 AM

DeeTee_uk said:
Ignore the scores. They're a very basic test for people who don't really know their systems (think "your dad wanting to play flight sims", and you'll be on the right lines). They're also (I think) weighted towards the low end of the scale, as Windows 7 is intended to be around for a while. If it gives top marks for things now, it leaves nowhere for it to go when all the makers bring out their high end stuff in the future. So yes, I guess Microsoft have updated between Vista and 7, as one would expect.
As always, with any game, check your specs. I don't see your rig having any issues with any game out there right now, and probably won't for a while. At least I hope not. My rig is the almost the same as yours, just with a Q6600 running at 3.2ghz!

Thanks a lot man, valuable input. I just get really touchy about that stuff cause it's my baby, you understand. Also, some games (namely Oblivion and Sims 3) are real twitchy all the time, and it doesn't seem to go away with graphics bottomed out, do you think this is a hard drive issue? Like, the drive isn't able to keep up with the GPU?
m
l
August 5, 2009 8:10:31 AM

I think I solved a similar problem by installing a dual core optimizer for my amd processor. Not sure if there's stuff for intel, but something like that might be the problem.
m
l
August 5, 2009 2:06:13 PM

OutrightKain said:
Thanks a lot man, valuable input. I just get really touchy about that stuff cause it's my baby, you understand. Also, some games (namely Oblivion and Sims 3) are real twitchy all the time, and it doesn't seem to go away with graphics bottomed out, do you think this is a hard drive issue? Like, the drive isn't able to keep up with the GPU?

Oh, I understand all too well! I'm sure I've been heard to mutter "I just spent £300 upgrading, you'd better go like a greased whippet."

As for Oblivion, what do you mean by twitchy? Is it when the game is loading things in the background, or just a bit of slowdown when it's really busy? The only time I remember any real slowdown on my old rig was when I was doing the endgame, and fighting dozens of demons etc in the centre of the town. If it's something else, there have been some useful threads on here recently about Oblivion on quad cores, so it might be worth looking at those.
m
l
August 5, 2009 2:12:54 PM

DeeTee_uk said:
Oh, I understand all too well! I'm sure I've been heard to mutter "I just spent £300 upgrading, you'd better go like a greased whippet."

As for Oblivion, what do you mean by twitchy? Is it when the game is loading things in the background, or just a bit of slowdown when it's really busy? The only time I remember any real slowdown on my old rig was when I was doing the endgame, and fighting dozens of demons etc in the centre of the town. If it's something else, there have been some useful threads on here recently about Oblivion on quad cores, so it might be worth looking at those.

I'm not sure how to express it, but it's as if the animations are all fine, but while moving, the environment is appears to be moving sporadically. Like your movement speed is rapidly inceasing and decreasing by small amounts, just hardly noticeable. And Sims 3, only when moving the camera but more noticeable....but it seems to be random, on and off.
m
l
!