Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

fast dell

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 25, 2004 8:49:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yesterday morning I placed an order for the dim2400 and it had free
2nd day delivery. I got it today just after lunch. It caught me by
surprise.

Now their on line support is another story :(  but I didn't buy it for
support luckily.

Bottom line: speedy delivery, questionable at best support.

More about : fast dell

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 3:08:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> Bottom line: speedy delivery, questionable at best support.

Not quite the bottom line - have you actually needed support to find
out ?

--
Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
--- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---
August 26, 2004 7:44:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:08:40 +0100, Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>> Bottom line: speedy delivery, questionable at best support.
>
>Not quite the bottom line - have you actually needed support to find
>out ?

Yeah. We had to exchange several emails because they could never
answer my question of what was my tracking number. Finally got it
last nite after I already had the PC in the house. In one of their
emails they even sent me a broken link to my order status but I had
already solved that on my own.

No biggee here compared to some others support problems but a tad
annoying nonetheless.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 11:01:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

jim wrote:

>Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com> wrote:

>jim wrote:

>>> Bottom line: speedy delivery, questionable at best support.

>>Not quite the bottom line - have you actually needed support to find
>>out ?

>Yeah. We had to exchange several emails because they could never
>answer my question of what was my tracking number. Finally got it
>last nite after I already had the PC in the house. In one of their
>emails they even sent me a broken link to my order status but I had
>already solved that on my own.

From your original post:

"Yesterday morning I placed an order for the dim2400 and it had
free 2nd day delivery. I got it today just after lunch. It
caught me by surprise."

Your computer was on a plane from plant of origin the
afternoon/evening of the day you placed your order, as part of a
bulk shipment of Dells to the regional UPS/Fedex/whomever center
closest to you. It was then accepted by UPS/Fedex/whomever into
their system in the late night/wee hours of the a.m of the day of
delivery. That was when it was assigned a tracking number, to be
reported to Dell.

>No biggee here compared to some others support problems but a tad
>annoying nonetheless.

Annoying yes, but understandable. Dells shipping can be so
effective, if you order an in stock item with standard
configuration changes, that the order can be out the door and
delivered, as you experienced, before Dell's system can gather
the record info and make it available to the people you talk to.
Had your order taken a week, you would have received your
confirmation email for the record. Had UPS/Fedex/Whomever not
decided "Hell, its here on the dock, put it on the truck for
delivery. No need to hold it for a day just because its '2nd
Day'", Dell would have had the UPS/Fedex/whomever tracking number
in their records that evening {the evening of the day you
actually received it, which was the day the tracking number was
assigned by UPS/Fedex/whomever}, for you to find out that you
would be receiving it, as promised, on the 2nd day after
shipment.

This is not new. My D4400 got the same treatment 2-1/2 years
ago, almost. I ordered it PM {a Wednesday}, and it had several
changes - memory addition {didn't know about crucial.com at the
time :-(}, XPPro vice XPHome, and MS Office XP vice MS Works. So
it didn't go out the Dell door until Thursday. Delivered Friday.
Same story. Bulk shipped to Dulles, turned over to UPS in the
wee Friday hours, put on a truck and delivered before noon. The
tracking number on the UPS label wasn't even in the UPS tracking
system, much less Dell's. I checked.

Would you rather Dell withhold it's computers from shipment until
all the record-keeping is done? Ship, and charge you for it, via
the carrier from Dell's factory origin, rather than doing the
cheaper method of bulk shipping to carrier's local hubs and then
officially turning it over to the carrier, thus saving Dell money
and permitting them generally to offer the free shipping deal?
--
OJ III
[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
August 26, 2004 1:27:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:01:54 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
<oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>jim wrote:
>
>>Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>jim wrote:
>
>>>> Bottom line: speedy delivery, questionable at best support.
>
> ---snipped a lot---
>
>Would you rather Dell withhold it's computers from shipment until
>all the record-keeping is done? Ship, and charge you for it, via
>the carrier from Dell's factory origin, rather than doing the
>cheaper method of bulk shipping to carrier's local hubs and then
>officially turning it over to the carrier, thus saving Dell money
>and permitting them generally to offer the free shipping deal?


No, nor was I suggesting anything.

Dell had included free 2nd day delivery so that's why all this
happened so fast in my case. And I did get 2 confirmation emails.
That's what started the email exchange for the tracking number. And
had I known it was coming the next day, I probably wouldn't have asked
for it.

Like I said, this was all a tad annoying but not as bad as other's
experiences. In the end for me, this was a moot point and I will be
buying another Dell in the future unless their PC/notebooks change for
the worst.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 8:45:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

i hope u got the extended warranty, 2400 comes with 90 day warranty, darn rip
off :( 
!