[s] YAAP: Brenda-Val-Dop-Fem-Neu (Poly-Art)

Second slashem ascension, and second in a row, too. If I don't count
the two characters lost by crashing games that means 2 ascensions in 14
games.

This was Brenda, my valkyrie no. 8; the one for whom Boudewijn had
called on bets how she would die, and for whom Irina Rempt suggested
jokingly that she would die from a collapsing drawbridge, just as my
preceding valkyrie had. Essentially, this was a game with no *major*
mistakes (comparing to my ascended monk Luther who had committed three
major blunders).

Since I did not get much feedback on my last three ascension posts (one
person each time answered to two of them and nobody to the remaining
one), I will not write a long ascension story (no good ratio of effort
to results :) ). I'll just paste my logfile, from which you can gather
the story yourself. After that, I'll paste part of the game messages on
ascension.

******************
Doppelganger Valk Brenda started on 11 February 2005

Intrinsics: cold resistance by birth
stealth (why?)
telepathy (floating eye on Dlvl 2)
poison resistance from black unicorn in Minetown
fire resistance from fire ant on quest home!
sleep resistance from invisible tin of Green-elf meat
(Dlvl 4)
shock resistance from tin of blue dragon meat, made in
Wyrm Caves
teleportitis from leprechaun on Dlvl 22
disintegration resistance from tin of black dragon meat
made in giant level

Dlvl 1: Altar to Loki, now Odin

Brenda the Skirmisher St:16 Dx:18 Co:20 In:7 Wi:10 Ch:9 Neutral
Dlvl:2 $:0 HP:43(43) Pw:26(26) AC:-7 Xp:4/299 Wt:627/950 T:1946

Started out with strength 15
Found scale mail, dwarven iron helm and +1 dwarvish iron boots early

Ran into floating eye, but survived attacks of sewer rat

Dlvl 3: altar to Tyr, three unsuccessful attempts of conversion
now to Odin
laid three eggs as cockatrice, around turn 41500 -> make weapon

Mines 5: a gnome with a wand of magic missile!
Dlvl 4: altar to Tyr, converted it using a frozen shrieker corpse!
frozen food store - two floating eye corpses in there!
also some nymphs and a pixie
vault on level

artifacts gained: Mjollnir, Deluder (cloak of displacement),
Vorpal Blade, Ogresmasher (in ice box)

stash: ice box near altar
Dlvl 5: town, bought dirty rag, turns out to be magic resistance!
weapon shop has uncursing service!

Mines 7: mall
Dlvl 9: oracle
Dlvl 10: upstairs to Sokoban
stash:
spellbooks in large box
spellbook of acid stream
spellbook of create monster
spellbook of drain life
uncursed spellbook of slow monster
spear, cloaks, lab coat, armor in general
food

Dlvl 11: mumak on level! killed it
leprechaun hall

Mines 10: bottom (mimic of mines?)
Mines 11: utmost bottom
throne in Ruggo's throne room did not give wish,
but allowed to genocide arch-lichs (while in lich form!)
Dlvl 12: downstairs to Grund
Dlvl 13: stash, money
amulet of drain resistance
portal to Ludios
Dlvl 15: magic transporter to quest

Quest home: amulet in chest of Norn is reflection!
Dlvl 16: magic portal to Vecna's level (chaotic quest)

One of the shopkeepers in the mines mall is angry with me, because I
killed a gas spore next to him! Need scroll of taming!

Was almost killed by statue of winged gargoyle, that turned alive,
on first attempt to raid Grund's stronghold -> retreated,
bought three more points of protection in mine town,
but angered shop keeper

done Grund's stronghold: reflection was essential, because two wands
of lightning were used
being a lich was useful, but not necessarily
essential - no wand of draining appeared

Dlvl 15: left a few food rations next to upstairs

Dlvl 18: magic portal to lawful quest
spellbook of cure sickness in large box

Dlvl 19: magic portal to neutral quest, done
note for future: neutral quest requires source of light!

Dlvl 20: two altars of Odin on level!
staircase to Wyrm Caves

Dlvl 21: staircase to Lost Tomb

Dlvl 22: swamps, no good means to kill sea creatures
used submachine gun later
leprechaun hall

Dlvl 23: above One-Eyed Sam
closet

Plans: use monster-free swamp on 22 to make water
bless potion(s) of extra healing to get wish (?!)
single wish should go to deep dragon scale mail
a second wish might be ring of teleport control
get some rocks to kill eels in second swamp

do Wyrm Caves with care, to get blue dragon meat and
black dragon meat

Dlvl 27: closet

Dlvl 20: did Wyrm Caves, got blue dragon meat, ate it to get shock
resistance

got rocks but did not get wishes :-(

Sam's market has two magic lamps

TODO: put on ring of TC, eat leprechauns, eat tins of tengu meat
fireproof boots and cloak of magic resistance
make holy water, enchant cloak and gauntlets
bless magic lamps, try to get a wish -> deep dragon scale
mail
keep second lamp as light source, if first gives wish
genocide master lichs, demilichs and mind flayers (?)
(don't genocide L, before you are sure you'll never want to
polymorph in one, if you got deep dragon mail that may be
the case, then genocide them, but be careful)

more Hp
(and possibly a wish)
potions of invulnerability and of full healing?

get Nighthorn, bless and enchant it, get amulet of flying
(need light source)
do quest (need fireproof boots)

explore dungeon some more -> spiders, sunless sea,
possibly lost tomb and temple of
Moloch

do chaotic quest

Dlvl 19: stash with water walking boots and wand of cancellation
3 potions of restore ability, camera (T=50150)
main stash, with a lot of stuff, unholy water etc.
gray dragon scale mail, oil lamp (after wish for deep dragon
scale mail)

Lawful quest done! Nightmare tougher than expected - is shock resistant,
+7 Mjollnir did not do much damage, used submachine gun in the
end.

horn is not really useful as replacement for ordinary unicorn
horn, as it blasts you if you are not lawful
-> ended up enchanting ordinary unicorn horn and putting
Nighthorn in stash on Dlvl 19

genocided master mind flayers, when Mel C. came too close
and my +0 bullets missed her several times

Quest done, found wand of wishing! -> Hawaiian shirt, unfortunately
only +0, killed lord Surtur easily
Now weight management important, Orb of Fate weighs 150 units!
Wand of wishing was +3, second wish is fireproof oilskin sack

Lost tomb: contains some useful spellbooks, potions and scrolls

Genocided all L now (lichs, demilichs, master lichs)
Did chaotic quest: Note: it is no good doing this with uncursed
scroll of earth, if you have teleportitis
already
second note: always teleport to distance of
two squares of Vecna, otherwise he might
be blocked by other monsters
third note: take along more than 40 +4 bullets!
needed exactly 33 this time
he regenerates, so must be killed fast
or he will go back to his old Hp

Dlvl 28: to spider caves
Dlvl 30: to sunless sea, done, afterwards used wish of blessed
magic lamp I had already for magic candle, to reduce weight
(have now uncursed magic lamp from sea)
two closets
Dlvl 31: disgruntled adventurers, done (before sunless sea)

genocided mind flayers

Dlvl 32: two closets
to giants, done - largest giant not at home,
possibly stepped on level teleport trap
met black dragon there, made tin
got some strength from tinned giants, but still far from
18/**
Dlvl 33: to temple of Moloch (ring of conflict? yes, effective)
done
toilet on level

Dlvl 40: Medusa, island type of level, no Titan

Dlvl 39: ready for Medusa, AC is -53
combination ideal: speed boots, amulet of flying,
deep dragon scale mail, shield of reflection
cloak of magic resistance
Dlvl 41: water maze
Dlvl 42: lava maze
Dlvl 43: castle
armory contains two-handed sword named Deathsword!
plus axe named Giantkiller -> seven artifacts in game!

Dlvl 44: Valley of the Dead
Dlvl 45: not Demogorgon! a level, where teleportation is possible
a lot of water
Dlvl 44: a box contains another ring of teleport control
found uncursed scroll of genocide -> vampire mages gone
killed Juiblex in the Valley of the Dead!
he did not engulf me

Dlvl 46: Juiblex level, Juiblex not home
Dlvl 47: Orcus, deceased without teleporting to stairs
Dlvl 48: Yeenoghu, deceased, teleported to stairs once
Dlvl 49: Demogorgon, deceased, teleported away, but stairs blocked by
boulders

Dlvl 50: top Wizard
up to Vlad
Dlvl 51: up to Frankenstein
both Doctor Frankenstein and Frankenstein's monster deceased

used a wish for a blessed figurine of a Solar

Dlvl 53: Dispater (peaceful), deceased by help from Solar
Dlvl 54: fake wizard with portal
Dlvl 55: Asmodeus (invisible peaceful), deceased
Dlvl 56: Geryon (peaceful), deceased, just hit him with Mjollnir,
he never teleported away
horned devil yanks Mjollnir from my hand with bullwhip
retreated, let Sunny deal with him, who killed him without
problem
Dlvl 57: Baalzebub (invisible peaceful), deceased, could not teleport,
because he was hit by 10 bullets before
Dlvl 58: fake wizard without portal
Dlvl 59: vibrating square

back to Dlvl 20 for last preparations

genocided disenchanters

Ascended on We, 23 March 2005.
Spells were only used for self-confusion.
Note: With a Solar as a pet, it is quite unnecessary to take along 150
+6 bullets. 50 or 60 would have been sufficient.

Another game with the "never been ill" conduct.

******************
What do you want to sacrifice? [zAV or ?*] (A of course!)

-----
...|
---------..-- -----
---------..-- ----)---
...| | %-------
----- | % |
------- "%-
| -
---

Brenda the Champion St:18/** Dx:24 Co:20 In:24 Wi:24 Ch:15 Neutral
Astral Plane HP:399(399) Pw:175(175) AC:-53 Xp:28/927161 Wt:989/1000
T:85312

You offer the Amulet of Yendor to Odin...--More--
An invisible choir sings, and you are bathed in radiance...--More--
The voice of Odin booms: "Congratulations, mortal!"--More--
"In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!"--More--
You ascend to the status of Demigoddess...--More--
Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (n)
Amulets
c - an uncursed amulet of life saving {20}
Z - a blessed amulet of flying {20}
Weapons
a - the blessed +7 Mjollnir {60}
b - the blessed rustproof +7 Vorpal Blade (weapon in hand) {40}
d - a blessed +0 assault rifle {40}
Q - 20 blessed +6 bullets (in quiver) {20}
Armor
g - a blessed +4 deep dragon scale mail (being worn) {50}
r - a blessed +5 shield of reflection (being worn) {50}
y - a blessed fireproof +5 Hawaiian shirt (being worn) {5}
C - a blessed greased fireproof +4 cloak of magic resistance (being
worn) {10}
G - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being worn)
{10}
H - a blessed greased rustproof +4 helm of brilliance (being worn) {50}
O - a blessed fireproof +5 pair of water walking boots (being worn) {20}
Comestibles
x - an uncursed K-ration {10}
z - an uncursed lizard corpse {10}
P - an uncursed holy wafer {1}
V - the uncursed Hand of Vecna {1}
Scrolls
j - 2 uncursed scrolls of stinking cloud {10}
(1 of 3)
Spellbooks
Y - the uncursed Book of the Dead (0:0) {20}
Rings
f - a blessed ring of free action (on right hand) {3}
l - a blessed ring of levitation {3}
S - a blessed ring of slow digestion (on left hand) {3}
T - a blessed ring of teleport control {3}
W - a blessed ring of warning {3}
Wands
q - a wand of digging (0:8) {7}
B - a wand of teleportation (0:0) {7}
E - a wand of teleportation (0:5) {7}
J - a wand of death (0:8) {7}
R - a wand of fire (0:10) {7}
U - a wand of probing (0:8) {7}
Tools
e - a blessed blindfold {2}
k - the uncursed Key of Neutrality {3}
m - a blessed stethoscope {4}
t - a blessed +6 unicorn horn {20}
v - a blessed fireproof oilskin sack {369}
w - a blessed magic whistle {3}
F - a blessed magic marker (1:5) {2}
(2 of 3)
M - the uncursed Candelabrum of Invocation (no candles attached) {10}
N - the Bell of Opening (0:2) {10}
X - a blessed magic candle (lit) {2}
Gems
i - a blessed luckstone
K - 3 blessed healthstones
(3 of 3)

Contents of the oilskin sack:

a blessed bag of holding {225}
an invisible wand of wishing (0:1) {7}
a blessed potion of invulnerability {20}
a blessed potion of object detection {20}
a blessed potion of full healing {20}
a blessed potion of healing {20}
a wand of wishing (1:2) {7}
3 blessed scrolls of remove curse {15}
a potion of holy water {20}
--More--

Contents of the bag of holding:

the blessed Orb of Fate (0:4) {150}
a wand of digging (0:9) {7}
an uncursed potion of speed {20}
a wand of death (0:0) {7}
6 uncursed K-rations {60}
3 uncursed sapphires {3}
3 blessed scrolls of remove curse {15}
3 blessed tins of floating eye meat {30}
a blessed wand of striking (0:10) {7}
an uncursed potion of invulnerability {20}
2 blessed potions of full healing {40}
an uncursed scroll of light {5}
a blessed scroll of scare monster {5}
a blessed ring of conflict {3}
4 uncursed scrolls of blank paper {20}
135 blessed +6 bullets {135}
the uncursed Key of Law {3}
a blessed luckstone
a wand of death (0:4) {7}
a wand of death (0:7) {7}
a wand of teleportation (0:12) {7}
--More--
a wand of teleportation (0:8) {7}
a blessed potion of acid {20}
a wand of enlightenment (0:3) {7}
an uncursed lizard corpse {10}
a blessed potion of invulnerability {20}
5 potions of holy water {100}
a wand of death (0:10) {7}
the uncursed Key of Chaos {3}
3 blessed scrolls of charging {15}
5 uncursed turquoise stones {5}
2 uncursed agate stones {2}
7 uncursed black opals {7}
8 uncursed rubies {8}
18 uncursed diamonds {18}
11 uncursed emeralds {11}
an uncursed jet stone {1}
an uncursed towel {2}
the uncursed Eye of the Beholder {1}
an uncursed obsidian stone {1}
2 uncursed fluorite stones {2}
8 uncursed opals {8}
7 uncursed amethyst stones {7}
3 uncursed scrolls of taming {15}
an uncursed holy wafer {1}
--More--

Do you want to see your attributes? [ynq] (n)

Final Attributes:

You were piously aligned.
You were fire resistant.
You were cold resistant.
You were sleep resistant.
You were disintegration-resistant.
You were shock resistant.
You were poison resistant.
You were level-drain resistant.
You were magic-protected.
You saw invisible.
You were telepathic.
You were invisible to others.
You were stealthy.
You could teleport.
You could walk on water.
You had slower digestion.
You regenerated.
You were protected.
You had polymorph control.
You were very fast.
You had reflection.
--More--
You had free action.
You were extremely lucky.
You had extra luck.
Good luck did not time out for you.
You had extra health.
You survived.
--More--

Do you want an account of creatures vanquished? [ynq] (n)
Vanquished creatures:

Demogorgon
Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Dispater
Geryon
Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
Vecna
a crystal golem
3 deepest ones
a gnoll chieftain
2 steel golems
The Wizard of Yendor (thrice)
Death (twice) <- this was not me, just my Solar
whom Death could not even harm
did not encounter any of the Riders
closely
a Planetar <- nice, this time I met one, although
I never reached Clevel 30 just shot him,
using up 15 of my bullets
a sapphire golem
Shelob
2 diamond golems
a high priest
2 gnoll warriors
--More--
4 ruby golems
Girtab
Grund the Orc King
2 mastodons
a vorpal jabberwock
Doctor Frankenstein
a vampire mage
Frankenstein's Monster
2 gypsies

a fox <- lowest single kill

4960 creatures vanquished.
--More--

Do you want a list of species genocided? [ynq] (n)
Genocided species:

mind flayers
master mind flayers
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches
disenchanters
vampire mages
8 species genocided.
--More--

Do you want to see your conduct? [ynq] (n)
Voluntary challenges:

You genocided 8 types of monsters.
You never polymorphed an object.
You used 9 wishes.
You did not wish for any artifacts.
--More--

Farvel Brenda the Demigoddess...

You and the invisible Sunny and the guardian Angel of Odin
went to your reward with 6401692 points,
Mjollnir (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
Vorpal Blade (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
The Key of Neutrality (worth 1000 zorkmids and 2500 points)
The Orb of Fate (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
The Key of Law (worth 1000 zorkmids and 2500 points)
The Key of Chaos (worth 1000 zorkmids and 2500 points)
The Eye of the Beholder (worth 500 zorkmids and 1250 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Hand of Vecna (worth 700 zorkmids and 1750 points)
The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
18 diamonds (worth 72000 zorkmids),
11 emeralds (worth 27500 zorkmids),
8 rubies (worth 28000 zorkmids),
8 opals (worth 6400 zorkmids),
7 black opals (worth 17500 zorkmids),
7 amethyst stones (worth 4200 zorkmids),
5 turquoise stones (worth 10000 zorkmids),
3 sapphires (worth 9000 zorkmids),
--More--
2 fluorite stones (worth 800 zorkmids),
2 agate stones (worth 400 zorkmids),
1 jet stone (worth 850 zorkmids),
1 obsidian stone (worth 200 zorkmids),
1 amulet of flying (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of life saving (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 85312 moves.
You were level 28 with a maximum of 399 hit points when you ascended.

You made the top ten list!

No Points Name
Hp [max]
1 6401692 Brenda-Val-Dop-Fem-Neu (Poly-Art) ascended to
demigoddess-hood.
399 [399]
2 1079882 Gwen-Val-Dop-Fem-Neu was crushed to death in The
Quest on level 23 [max 35]. Crushed to death by a
collapsing drawbridge.
347 [351]
3 43191 Martha-Val-Dop-Fem-Neu died in Sokoban on level 9
[max 10]. Burned by molten lava.
- [98]
4 1082 Gilda-Val-Dop-Fem-Neu died in The Dungeons of Doom on
level 4 [max 5]. Killed by a kobold, while helpless.
- [34]
5 619 Edna-Val-Dop-Fem-Neu died in The Gnomish Mines on
level 4. Killed by an invisible gnome lord.
- [18]
6 231 Muriel-Val-Dop-Fem-Neu died in The Dungeons of Doom
on level 2. Killed by a boulder.
- [14]

The sequence in which I played these is just inverted, i.e. 6, 5, 4, 3,
2, 1.

--
Klaus Kassner

Klaus Kassner wrote:

> This was Brenda, my valkyrie no. 8; the one for whom Boudewijn had
> called on bets how she would die, and for whom Irina Rempt suggested
> jokingly that she would die from a collapsing drawbridge, just as my
> preceding valkyrie had.

Let me be the first one to congratulate you, then!

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Boudewijn Waijers schrieb:
> Klaus Kassner wrote:
>

>>This was Brenda, my valkyrie no. 8; the one for whom Boudewijn had
>>called on bets how she would die, and for whom Irina Rempt suggested
>>jokingly that she would die from a collapsing drawbridge, just as my
>>preceding valkyrie had.

> Let me be the first one to congratulate you, then!

Thanks. Based on previous experience, you might also be the last one :-(.

But then it appears that my games often end at a time when few people
look into the newsgroup. Easter is approaching... And I think I also
posted something just before Christmas once.

--
Klaus Kassner

Klaus Kassner wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers schrieb:
>
>> Klaus Kassner wrote:
>>

>>> This was Brenda, my valkyrie no. 8; the one for whom Boudewijn had
>>> called on bets how she would die, and for whom Irina Rempt suggested
>>> jokingly that she would die from a collapsing drawbridge, just as my
>>> preceding valkyrie had.
>

>> Let me be the first one to congratulate you, then!
>

> Thanks. Based on previous experience, you might also be the last one :-(.

Not if I have anything to say about it!

Wait... I don't...

But, yeah, congratulations, ascending in Slash'EM is hard.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/