Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Several BSOD's, memory problem?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 18, 2013 4:51:48 AM

A few days ago I started getting random BSODs while browsing or playing games, without an apparent pattern. The errors I've got so far are:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0000000a ntoskrnl.exe
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x0000001e ntoskrnl.exe
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 0x00000050 HTTP.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 0x00000050 ntoskrnl.exe
STOP 0x00000109 ntoskrnl.exe
STOP 0x00000109 ntoskrnl.exe
STOP 0x00000109 ndis.sys
STOP 0x0000007E: (0xC0000005, 0xsomething, 0xsomething, 0xsomething)

My system specs are:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V
CPU: Core i5 2500K @3.3GHz
Memory: A-Data XPG 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 6950 1GB
Sound Card: Realtek ALC892 HD Audio
Hard Drives: 160GB WD Caviar Blue / 250GB Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply: Corsair TX650 V2
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional

Besides keeping Windows updated I haven't installed or modified anything in at least 2 months and never had this kind of trouble before. I'm not overclocking and my temps are pretty good.

I checked the minidumps with BlueScreenView and did some research, all the BCC's seem to be related to memory problems of some sort. After the first couple of crashes I ran on both of my disks just in case but the results came clean, I didn't see anything wrong with them.

So, while I did some more research I tested my RAM with Memtest86+, let it run for 25 hours straight (21 passes) without errors. Then I started to get worried about my GPU/graphic drivers being the problem or that my card could get damaged with all the crashes so I uninstalled the drivers, took it out of the case and switched to the integrated graphics on the motherboard. After doing that I still got a couple of more crashes so at least my GPU seems to be safe.

The last thing I did was to check my CPU temps with a torture test using Prime95, using the In-place large FFTs option. My CPU never got over 68ÂșC but I got another BCC 0x109 crash after 4 hours.

I really hope you can help me to figure this out, any help would be greatly appreciated. While I get a response I'm gonna start looking for updated drivers for all my hardware, I'll just download them and wait for your response before installing anything.

More about : bsod memory problem

a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2013 4:59:09 AM

Could be an error in the operating system, backup what you need to keep and reinstall windows. If it doesn't help then come back and ask again. Hope it works
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2013 5:01:38 AM

start with making sure you have all the bios updates for your mb. there new code for windows 8 and cpu and ram and usb device. in the asus bios make sure your not running in the overclock mode. it changes the cpu to mus ratio and can cause bsod.. make sure it running standard mode. download intel cpu test program and see if the memory controller in the cpu having an issue. also in the asus bios under ai tweeker turn on xmp profile. and then run cpu-z to check that the ram running at the right speed and timing. also run hpd tune read both hd smart to see that there fine and run hd wd and segate tools. also check in the bios that the drives are running achi mode and are on the intel sata ports.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2013 7:08:09 AM

Try reflashing your bios using Asus EZ Flash. Even to the same version. Keeping old settings. Dont use any windows apps for bios flashing.
m
l

Best solution

January 18, 2013 10:03:46 AM

Based on your excellent isolation tests, and use of integrated video I would guess 3 things:
- It's motherboard, or chipset related somehow
- It's power supply unit related.
- It might be a malfunctioning piece of malware -or other software, such as a driver- malfunctioning due to Data Execution Protection, or similar; which is much safer than having the malware do it's thing.

There has been some really nasty malware doing the rounds lately, and since you're obviously connected to the Internet and it happens "while browsing or playing games, without an apparent pattern" I would lean towards malware first.

If you built it yourself, and you trust your hardware, and are fairly sure your PSU is working OK still then treat it as either:
- A software issue (eg: malware)
- A data/code corruption issue (eg: imagine a defrag running while your RAM is overclocked way past spec with too high timings, it will alter the contents of every other file totally inadvertently just by doing what it's programmed to do. Read data from storage into RAM, where the RAM would change bits, then commit the data back to disk).

At least thinking this way may help to shed light on it, as initially it doesn't sound like a hardware fault... the BSOD's are too inconsistent (unless your motherboard is totally screwed, and the Intel Z68, stepping B3, chip-set is a pretty solid performer).

Just my 2c
January 18, 2013 10:21:03 AM

I'll tag this as a second post because it's more malware leaning:

The files you mention are usually around:
C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntoskrnl.exe
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\http.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ndis.sys

Both HTTP.SYS and NDIS.SYS are listed...
- I don't imagine your network drivers got re-installed recently.

Install this ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290 ) to say C:\FCIV

Load up a command prompt (doesn't need to be admin I don't think) and type the following commands.
COPY "C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe" .
COPY "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntoskrnl.exe" ntoskr64.exe
COPY "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\http.sys" .
COPY "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ndis.sys" .

FCIV -both ntoskrnl.exe
FCIV -both ntoskr64.exe
FCIV -both http.sys
FCIV -both ndis.sys

Then mark/copy/paste the results here so they can be checked against legitimate versions of the files.
MD5 SHA-1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
fe905d59663e86bfe51623947b7425fd 5eab81403c2f80b5ea63dc75c3285aa886a0beff ntoskrnl.exe

948f0b444cb6cc35fe5f9de52420cb95 4988e05aaae2fa035b8199295be7d4cf5527e4cb ntoskr64.exe

0ea7de1acb728dd5a369fd742d6eee28 71650b21e3642d35aff665d29313c0e576214947 http.sys

760e38053bf56e501d562b70ad796b88 c8842d2eaf8b1dbf4e0a681005cc776d9ec685c9 ndis.sys

The results will probably NOT be as above.
- They get 8, 8, 18 and 3 Google results each just for the strange looking number pairs as so few people bother to check files for corruption when issues like this arise as they are trained to believe the fault is in the hardware all along.

When I re-read your post it dawned on me that both HTTP.SYS and NDIS.SYS are network related, which is why I double posted.

The following YouTube video may explain what happened better than I can...
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2013 4:45:22 PM

RAM. I'm seeing three of the four BSOD's that are typical of a failed stick of RAM. I'm suspecting its voltage/stability related, given how memtest doesn't pick it up.

Simple test: Pull a stick. Does the problem go away?
m
l
January 19, 2013 7:36:11 AM

Thanks for all the replies! Every bit helps.

Right now I'm pushing reinstalling Windows to the bottom of the list, I've been really busy and can't afford the time to reinstall all my stuff. I already double checked all the settings in my BIOS, I'm not overclocking and none of the Asus OC presets are selected. I also checked my RAM timings and voltage (CL9-9-9-24 1.65V). I'm holding on to updating my BIOS until I backup some files and finish some work, but I'll do it over the weekend.

Last night I checked my RAM again with Memtest86+, I started it at 3:30 and let it run. When I checked on it the next morning at 11:30, the test showed no errors but the timer had stop at 4 hrs 40 min (it should've been at 8+ hrs) and the progress on the tests wasn't moving. Also I couldn't restart by pressing ESC or go into the settings, so I think Memtest86+ somehow bugged out, I had to reset my computer with the case button. After that I ran Memtest86+ again, but this time it went for 10 hrs (9 passes) no problem. Do you think this points to a hardware failure or maybe it was Memtest86+ acting out?

About malware I did a full scan with MSSE but that's really not much, so I'll look up some other malware scanners to check (currently I'm gettin some really good info on BSOD from carrona.org so I'll start with the ones from http://www.carrona.org/malware.html ).

@Scott_D_Bowen That's a really good tip (and a really good vid), I didn't know about FCIV before. I'll check it out and post my results, also I guess I could try to sfc /scannow to check for bad system files, right?

Right now my plan for the weekend is:

1) Set up Driver Verifier to check for some defective driver
2) Use the Intel tools to check for CPU errors
3) Check my HDs with the manufacturers tools
4) Check for malware
5) Test each of my RAM modules independently
6) Update BIOS
m
l
January 29, 2013 4:00:20 AM

Best answer selected by draggoth.
m