Black Clouds Over The P4???

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
check this <A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/cgi-bin/ace/tech.pl?read=14412" target="_new">thread</A> out, it seems that someone is either trying to put out a <A HREF="http://www.inqst.com" target="_new">hoax</A> or something really bad is happening with the Pentium<i><b>4</b></i>, the poster harks "<i>It is no bug</i>", moments before he/she blurts out "<i>No microcode can fix that. Please wait until Monday!</i> "

well, it will *finally* all be revealed on Monday". Stay tuned.

anyway read it and give it your best guess as to what it is.

ps, I think it's a shame that the AMD crazies are resorting in using this type of attack on Intel.

"AMD/VIA...you are the weakest link, good bye!"

Members, stop posting thread titles in all caps!

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It may be BS, may not be. It would just be kinda funny it some big problem were true, as all you Intel nuts constantly say AMD is crap and unstable, so if there's a problem with Intel's flagship processor that a patch can't even fix, then that say's a lot. :p Anyway, I guess we'll all see, or won't see, on Monday. I'm sure it's probably pretty minor, if anything, as you'd think something would have already been found out by now. Pretty presumptive of you to automatically assume it's an attack by "AMD crazies," don't you think?

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think it is a shame that you keep bombarding the forum with nonsense.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Errr...not sure what to make of this. It may be a new killer AMD product release, or it may actually be a P4 bug. The one fellow keeps saying it's a P4 bug, then tap-dancing around the question. (the question being, "What is the bug?") I'd let the dust settle (in other words, wait 'til Monday) before I make any assumptions.

ps, I think it's a shame that the AMD crazies are resorting in using this type of attack on Intel.
I also think it's a shame that the Intel crazies are resorting to exaggerated BS about T-birds instantly toasting when a fan dies. You are hardly in a position to act all holier-than-thou with us. :wink:

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

G

What a piece of tripe.
I can't believe I bothered reading a meltdown thread.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why do you have InQuest's article marked as a hoax? It contains completely valid information and explains why the P4 is able to get lots of very impressive SPEC benchmark stats but can't match the Athlon in most real world applications.

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Heh, looks like a thread I would start.

No one even knows wtf they are talking about.
quite funny indeed.

My P4 1.5Ghz is extreamly stable at overclocked speeds up too 2Ghz with stock HSF

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
He's having a little difficulty accepting that the Pentium two-and-a-half isn't the best x86 chip on earth. Maybe that will change once he grows up.

Until then, he's fun to pick on. Damn, I'm just a total bastard! :wink:

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I guess when you're right, you're right. I started chuckling after the first paragraph and didn't stop until I reached the end.

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
There is no bug in the Pentium 4. That whole thread is just a silly marketing attempt to point to AMD's coming press release about the Palomino.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I figured as much. Especially when "Monday" seemed to coincide with the Poly's release date.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Gee, how clever of them. While I think it would be funny (however unlikely) if a bug in the P4 were found, I figured this thread was just BS. <sigh> One can always dream, though ...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually he is making a good point about rumor mongerring-have you ever played the whisper game? Stand a whole bunch of people in a circle, whisper something to the person next to you, and see what it turns into by the time it gets all the way around the circle.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
I have my doubts.. the guy specifically denied that it had anything to do with Poly.. ah, now he's got me curious as to what he's talking about.. I'll keep an eye on the thread and report back anything I find.

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

:lol: :lol:

Hey, don't diss components made in Taiwan :D. Afterall, they represent high quality compared to their MIC counterparts :kaola:

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

*HUG*

Word, Playa.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

:fou: i didnt know this website then. n i did that mistake. :(